Where did you end up...?

ed strong

On 2/15/2023 at 12:02 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I remember the first time when I was in Bangkok, without mobile phones, GPS and all that, I selected in the travel guide a hotel in Sukhumvit Soi 1. I made sure that I knew the house number.

I told the taxi driver, and we arrived in Soi 1, and then I discovered that house numbers are random and useless in Bangkok (and I think all over Thailand).

After some talking the driver drove me to the Crown Hotel in Soi 6. Interesting times...

Working in Saudi, I was about to make my first visit to Thailand and asked a colleague that had been there where to stay. He said Nana Plaza hotel in Bkk and a place in Patong.

Arrived at Don Mueang airport and found the counter that booked hotels including transport, looked for Nana Plaza hotel, but only Nana hotel, so ended up somewhere else along Sukhumvit. The guy had told me the wrong name by adding Plaza, so I missed out on an hotel right opposite the paradise on earth that was Nana Plaza, and went to the notorious Patpong instead.

Arrived in Patong and told taxi driver where to go. He couldn't find it and asked a policeman who also "didn't know", but suggested another place, so went there, but it was miles away from the bar area. Later on, whom would I see visiting reception but the cop that suggested the place. I was not well pleased!

Not Thailand but I also recall one time in Morocco when i checked into a random hotel, didnt know the name of it but grabbed a card from the front desk on my way out. Headed into town and then got a taxi later that night and gave the card to the driver to take me to my hotel........10 minutes later we are sitting outside a building site and he said this was the destination!?

Turns out i had picked up a card / flyer for some other new development that was being built! Nothing to do with the hotel i was staying at. So then i had no idea where i was or where my hotel was. Eventually after hours of traveling around and phone calls we eventually found it!

• Haha 1

My first trip to Thailand,was here to make sure a certain person would

go back to work on time.

Man it was hot!and not only the temperature.

Stayed at the Prince Palace,nice place.

At night i was told we should go to the Hard rock  so we walked out into

the street and hailed a cab.

Arrived at the Hard rock and had a good time and we went back there

for the next few nights,i never even knew there were bars with girls in Thailand.

Met my first Thai girl there but that is a different story.

The last night we again took a taxi but this driver went the opposite way the ones before did.

We told him he was going the wrong way and we knew how to get there so he could not pull a fast one on us.

Told us not to worry and just kept driving,we got there fast and the meter price was around half of what we paid the times before.

Things are not always what they seem to be.