Did I just unwittingly participate in Immigration corruption/graft?

17 minutes ago, NotReallyHere said:

Thanks for confirming my suspicion.

I wasn't even given a choice.  I would rather have waited.  I wasn't in a hurry.  500 Baht is not a big deal, but I resent being tricked into participating in their little "side hustles".

Best to check beforehand in future on this forum or Facebook 

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Best to check beforehand in future on this forum or Facebook 

Thanks for the advice.  I'm just surprised they "got me".  I moved recently from an expat "hotbed" to a more remote location in Thailand.  Sticking it to the Farang seems to be worse here.  Restaurants, transportation, housing and now even the Immigration office.

CoR and transfer of Visa to new PP used to be 'free' service.  Scamming was so rampant, that head Imm office made it UP2 Imm office.

My experiences:

... CoR ... 2X free 

... CoR ... ฿300, want receipt ฿600

Visa tfr to new PP:

... Free

... asked for ฿1000 then ฿500-฿100-no receipt, refused to pay - FREE

... Last Oct 500 w/receipt

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NotReallyHere said:

Thanks for the advice.  I'm just surprised they "got me".  I moved recently from an expat "hotbed" to a more remote location in Thailand.  Sticking it to the Farang seems to be worse here.  Restaurants, transportation, housing and now even the Immigration office.

Interesting, as a Farang I would like to say I have rarely had it stuck to me in all my years in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

CoR and transfer of Visa to new PP used to be 'free' service.  Scamming was so rampant, that head Imm office made it UP2 Imm office.

My experiences:

... CoR ... 2X free 

... CoR ... ฿300, want receipt ฿600

Visa tfr to new PP:

... Free

... asked for ฿1000 then ฿500-฿100-no receipt, refused to pay - FREE

... Last Oct 500 w/receipt

That's quite a history.

I guess in the future, I'll go to the immigration office with a large stack of small bills.  Not sure what the going rate will be.  Need to be prepared for anything.

Sounds like the issue might also be which Immigration officer I am assigned.

13 minutes ago, proton said:

Its a free service, as long as people cave in and pay the illegal bribe they will continue to ask for it. I refused and still go it. Helps if you are with a Thai wife, they look embarrassed in front of another Thai.

Unfortunately, I was solo.

I didn't realize it wasn't a standard price until after I had paid, but I agree with you in principle.  That's why I don't use "agents".  Yes, they provide a service, but I suspect part of that service is "tipping" the immigration officer.  I can xerox, sort and staple my own documents.  And I have all the time in the world.

2 minutes ago, proton said:

Tipping officers is illegal, my office now has a sign outside saying so

Interesting.  I'll look for a sign the next time I go to my Immigration Office.

On the one hand, a sign is a good thing because it sets boundaries, but on the other hand it demonstrates that tipping was problematic there in the past.

Reminds me of some of my experiences in massage shops.  I've seen "No Sex" signs posted at entrance, but was still offered sex when inside.

1 hour ago, NotReallyHere said:

I wasn't even given a choice.  I would rather have waited.  I wasn't in a hurry.  500 Baht is not a big deal, but I resent being tricked into participating in their little "side hustles".

Better to just pay the small amount than wait for weeks.

Be thankful you have the option.

Edited by ukrules
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NotReallyHere said:

Cry me a river dude, you would participate so many more times just living daily life here.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Familiarity with the term and use of 'petty cash' allows me to be quite relaxed about topping it up 

See the drinks and food offered by the Ubon immigration guys a genuine pleasant gesture indeed

But how can we know the "tips" are going to petty cash?  The Immigration Officer I was dealing with was very "polished".  Lots of jewelry and an expensive handbag.  Flaunting her wealth, basically.  Not the usual understated government attire.