Sugar control and food labelling...

1FinickyOne

Hmm ... guess (I'm) supposed to be eating more than I do.

Daily food goals

Dietary guidelines have shifted away from daily food goals measured in servings. Instead, they now focus on daily food totals that are measured in cups, ounces, or tablespoons.

The daily goals depend on your health, sex, and age. For example, for moderately active adults ages 66 or older, men are advised to eat 2,200 calories per day; women are advised to eat 1,800 calories per day.

Here are the daily food goals for those diets.

Vegetables: 2.5 to 3 cups (2). "Aim for a variety of vegetables and try to include those with different colors, for different phytonutrients [beneficial substances in plants]," suggests registered dietitian Kathy McManus, director of the Department of Nutrition at Harvard-affiliated Brigham and Women's Hospital.

Go for dark, leafy greens like spinach or kale; vibrant yellow squash; or bright red tomatoes or peppers. Legumes — such as peas or beans — are included in the goal for this food category.

Fruits: 1.5 to 2 cups.(1) Options include berries, peaches, cherries, kiwi, or other fruits.

Whole grains: about half a cup.(3) "The word 'whole' should be the first ingredient listed when you're choosing breads, crackers, and cereals," McManus says.

Poultry, fish, or meat: 5 to 6 ounces. (12 oz)"That's up to 42 ounces per week. Try to make 12 of those ounces seafood," McManus advises.

Dairy, such as milk or yogurt: 3 cups. (2) "But the Harvard School of Public Health disagrees. Research shows that one to two servings [one to two cups of milk or yogurt] is sufficient to achieve good health," says Teresa Fung, adjunct professor in the Department of Nutrition at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.

Healthy oils: 1 to 2 tablespoons.(2-3) Choose oils such as olive, peanut, canola, or avocado.

image.png.88d7d168f7d93e8c792d92352c39892f.png

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/new-thinking-on-daily-food-goals

Edited by KhunLA

9 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Similar to when you stop or drastically reduce fatty food, my body doesn't enjoy English breakfast now days

True, it’s hard to beat that Pattaya staple that supports Soi Buakhao and indeed built Pattaya itself: yer baked-beans-on-toast. Cheap, high carb, always pleasing to the Brit palate. Couple of hours later, the insulin’s dropped, and it’s time for Chang. Life’s good.

But, after all, the English pigout brekky, maybe 1,500 calories, is for old fat men, so why should your body enjoy it? Though still very popular in Pattaya (the culture), it's dying out in the UK:

. . . . the nation’s changing tastes a quarter of respondents said a fry up was ‘too greasy’ and just under half said it ‘reminded them of men in vests hanging around in transport cafes’.

The greasy bacon, ‘lukewarm’ baked beans and processed sausages were also factors that put young Brits off the classic fry-up and 71 % of respondents said they would rather have smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, smashed avocado on toast or oatmeal pancakes for breakfast.

--Find out why the English Breakfast could soon be extinct

But throw out the worthless bread, baked beans, and hash browns, and half the sausage & bacon, and it’d be acceptable once in a while.

Really, though, no respectable Brit establishment is gonna serve any such insulting thin full English at the warranted discount. Solution: any Brit ordering one should be instead be served a couple of McDonald’s Egg McMuffins--without the muffins. Cheaper, healthier (relatively speaking, LOL; add tomatoes & mushrooms on the side?), sugar control (a gram in the bacon?), labeling (full details on the 'net), and better tasting, once the requisite imperious cursing of McDonald’s has run its course. The cheese--wait, I gotta have a laugh here.????

OK, to continue: then our Brit won’t feel hungry again till mid-afternoon and perhaps even start losing some of the belly. Instead of needing another carb fix, he can just grab a bottle of water from 7 and take a nice long walk on the coconut bar with the hope of meeting a fine young thing to take back to his room. No barfine.

Edited by BigStar
  • Confused 1

On 2/18/2023 at 10:59 AM, 1FinickyOne said:

Where do you buy this 'scratch' that you are making your foods from?

It is scientifically Proven frozen and canned food is healthier than fresh food since fresh food lies on the shelf for days and loses all vitamins 

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, still kicking said:

It is scientifically Proven frozen and canned food is healthier than fresh food since fresh food lies on the shelf for days and loses all vitamins 

Marginal difference, if any.  As when blanching for frozen or cooking for canned, some nutrients will be loss also.  Depends how fresh, your fresh are.  We buy both, frozen & fresh. 

Some things you can't buy frozen, or would I even bother.  Only canned we buy, and rare, is tomatoes.

Freshly picked fruits and vegetables straight from the farm or your own garden are of the highest quality.

However, if you are shopping at the supermarket, frozen produce may be equal to, or in some cases, even more nutritious than fresh varieties.

At the end of the day, frozen fruit and vegetables are a convenient and cost-effective alternative to fresh options.

It’s best to choose a mix of fresh and frozen produce to ensure you get the best range of nutrients.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Marginal difference, if any.  As when blanching for frozen or cooking for canned, some nutrients will be loss also.  Depends how fresh, your fresh are.  We buy both, frozen & fresh. 

Some things you can't buy frozen, or would I even bother.  Only canned we buy, and rare, is tomatoes.

Yes in your case it might be alright but I do live by myself if I buy fresh food it is packed for a large family 

10 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Yes in your case it might be alright but I do live by myself if I buy fresh food it is packed for a large family 

I wouldn't call 2 people large family.  Not much of any fresh packed for large families where I shop (Makro), and I usually pick mine from the bin.   Somethings are prepackaged, but nothing that won't be used in a day or so.

Kept in bag, in frig, so minimal oxidation in the heat.

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I wouldn't call 2 people large family.  Not much of any fresh packed for large families where I shop (Makro), and I usually pick mine from the bin.   Somethings are prepackaged, but nothing that won't be used in a day or so.

Kept in bag, in frig, so minimal oxidation in the heat.

As i said I live by my self 

5 hours ago, still kicking said:

Freshly picked fruits and vegetables straight from the farm or your own garden are of the highest quality.

However, if you are shopping at the supermarket, frozen produce may be equal to, or in some cases, even more nutritious than fresh varieties.

At the end of the day, frozen fruit and vegetables are a convenient and cost-effective alternative to fresh options.

It’s best to choose a mix of fresh and frozen produce to ensure you get the best range of nutrients.

Frozen is certainly good, fruit and veg always available when you want it, with fresh you are under pressure to finish it or throw it. Here in Thailand i freeze peeled ripe bananas, very nice and good dessert or for milkshake 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, BigStar said:

True, it’s hard to beat that Pattaya staple that supports Soi Buakhao and indeed built Pattaya itself: yer baked-beans-on-toast. Cheap, high carb, always pleasing to the Brit palate. Couple of hours later, the insulin’s dropped, and it’s time for Chang. Life’s good.

But, after all, the English pigout brekky, maybe 1,500 calories, is for old fat men, so why should your body enjoy it? Though still very popular in Pattaya (the culture), it's dying out in the UK:

. . . . the nation’s changing tastes a quarter of respondents said a fry up was ‘too greasy’ and just under half said it ‘reminded them of men in vests hanging around in transport cafes’.

The greasy bacon, ‘lukewarm’ baked beans and processed sausages were also factors that put young Brits off the classic fry-up and 71 % of respondents said they would rather have smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, smashed avocado on toast or oatmeal pancakes for breakfast.

--Find out why the English Breakfast could soon be extinct

But throw out the worthless bread, baked beans, and hash browns, and half the sausage & bacon, and it’d be acceptable once in a while.

Really, though, no respectable Brit establishment is gonna serve any such insulting thin full English at the warranted discount. Solution: any Brit ordering one should be instead be served a couple of McDonald’s Egg McMuffins--without the muffins. Cheaper, healthier (relatively speaking, LOL; add tomatoes & mushrooms on the side?), sugar control (a gram in the bacon?), labeling (full details on the 'net), and better tasting, once the requisite imperious cursing of McDonald’s has run its course. The cheese--wait, I gotta have a laugh here.????

OK, to continue: then our Brit won’t feel hungry again till mid-afternoon and perhaps even start losing some of the belly. Instead of needing another carb fix, he can just grab a bottle of water from 7 and take a nice long walk on the coconut bar with the hope of meeting a fine young thing to take back to his room. No barfine.

What do you eat for beakfast? a block of cheese? I've found porridge is the most filling but can't have that every day, English breakfast i rarely eat but good after a drinking session

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

What do you eat for beakfast? a block of cheese? I've found porridge is the most filling but can't have that every day, English breakfast i rarely eat but good after a drinking session

Full fat natural yogurt, ground flax seeds, Hershey's Natural Cocoa, cinnamon, almonds, blackberries, whey protein powder, and a few supplements. Most of the time.

Edited by BigStar

40 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Full fat natural yogurt, ground flax seeds, Hershey's Natural Cocoa, cinnamon, almonds, blackberries, whey protein powder, and a few supplements. Most of the time.

That's probably ok if elderly like yourself but if someone does a lot of exercise need some decent carbs

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

That's probably ok if elderly like yourself but if someone does a lot of exercise need some decent carbs

I like my carbs, so the same bowl of cereal almost everyday for 1st meal, just before noon.

Corn flakes (Nestle'), Oats (Aro), Slivered Almonds, Raisins & Blueberries for little sweetness.   Damn Tasty.

10 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I like my carbs, so the same bowl of cereal almost everyday for 1st meal, just before noon.

Corn flakes (Nestle'), Oats (Aro), Slivered Almonds, Raisins & Blueberries for little sweetness.   Damn Tasty.

yeah carbs are good, the guys i know who do a lot of exercise quit keto or intermittent fasting, they just kept bonking

Edited by scubascuba3

26 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Has carbs more decent than any of yours. You don't need that many carbs if you do a lot of exercise, even at your imagined Olympian level; that myth's been debunked, but favors your narrative. I stay quite fit on low carb and so can anyone. 

Edited by BigStar

19 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Hmm ... guess (I'm) supposed to be eating more than I do.

Daily food goals

Dietary guidelines have shifted away from daily food goals measured in servings. Instead, they now focus on daily food totals that are measured in cups, ounces, or tablespoons.

The daily goals depend on your health, sex, and age. For example, for moderately active adults ages 66 or older, men are advised to eat 2,200 calories per day; women are advised to eat 1,800 calories per day.

Here are the daily food goals for those diets.

Vegetables: 2.5 to 3 cups (2). "Aim for a variety of vegetables and try to include those with different colors, for different phytonutrients [beneficial substances in plants]," suggests registered dietitian Kathy McManus, director of the Department of Nutrition at Harvard-affiliated Brigham and Women's Hospital.

Go for dark, leafy greens like spinach or kale; vibrant yellow squash; or bright red tomatoes or peppers. Legumes — such as peas or beans — are included in the goal for this food category.

Fruits: 1.5 to 2 cups.(1) Options include berries, peaches, cherries, kiwi, or other fruits.

Whole grains: about half a cup.(3) "The word 'whole' should be the first ingredient listed when you're choosing breads, crackers, and cereals," McManus says.

Poultry, fish, or meat: 5 to 6 ounces. (12 oz)"That's up to 42 ounces per week. Try to make 12 of those ounces seafood," McManus advises.

Dairy, such as milk or yogurt: 3 cups. (2) "But the Harvard School of Public Health disagrees. Research shows that one to two servings [one to two cups of milk or yogurt] is sufficient to achieve good health," says Teresa Fung, adjunct professor in the Department of Nutrition at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.

Healthy oils: 1 to 2 tablespoons.(2-3) Choose oils such as olive, peanut, canola, or avocado.

image.png.88d7d168f7d93e8c792d92352c39892f.png

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/new-thinking-on-daily-food-goals

not too bad but too much carbohydrates, specially if the fruits are also sweet. And too little fat. Absolute no reason to limit red meat, cheese, dairy, milk, butter. Some claim that canola oil is bad, but I never read into it, so don't know if it is true. I use mostly lard and olive oil.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BigStar said:

You don't actually know how healthy you are. I suggest you get an oral glucose tolerance test and test your insulin to calculate your HOMA-IR score. Let us know how those go.

I'm happy with all the regular testing i do incl HbA1c. It's not as if I'm the only one doing HCLF, results well documented

11 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Remember that's just your opinion, not fact. You've not mentioned on this thread or any others how healthy you are in terms of BMI and blood results? good to know as who wants to listen to a fat bloke giving nutrition advice

I am somewhere 63-66kg range...no idea, but my jean I wear is size 31 and a bit too big. That does not make me fat I guess. Blood results...no idea and not interested in it, wasn't at any doctor for decades.

On 2/18/2023 at 8:59 AM, Puccini said:

From what I have seen, nutritional information is listed per 100 grammes (g) or 100 millilitres (mL) in Thailand, not per serving.

I see both but nutritional information per serving seems to be the most common. See below. 

I just checked the contents of my refrigerator to look for examples. I have included only the products that have product nutritional information in Thai. 

Sugar: no nutritional information given.

Corn flakes showed the nutritional values both for per serving and per 100g.

Milo granola also gave the nutritional values both for per serving and per 100g.

A single item frozen meal showed only the nutritional values per serving (the whole meal).

Muesli showed only the nutritional values per serving and indicated the serving size.

Mixed nuts showed only the nutritional values per serving and indicated the serving size.

Popcorn also showed only the nutritional values per serving and indicated the serving size.

Bread (Cubic) showed the serving size, energy value per serving and energy from fat. 

Bread (Farmhouse) showed serving size, total energy per serving and energy from fat.

Prunes only indicated serving size and total energy from a serving and energy from fat. 

Most of the products above also showed the % of Thai RDA for fat, cholesterol,  protein, sugars, fiber, sodium, iron and vitamins, etc. 

Edited by asf6
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, asf6 said:

I see both but nutritional information per serving seems to be the most common. See below. 

I just checked the contents of my refrigerator to look for examples. I have included only the products that have product nutritional information in Thai. 

Sugar: no nutritional information given.

Corn flakes showed the nutritional values both for per serving and per 100g.

Milo granola also gave the nutritional values both for per serving and per 100g.

A single item frozen meal showed only the nutritional values per serving (the whole meal).

Muesli showed only the nutritional values per serving and indicated the serving size.

Mixed nuts showed only the nutritional values per serving and indicated the serving size.

Popcorn also showed only the nutritional values per serving and indicated the serving size.

Bread (Cubic) showed the serving size, energy value per serving and energy from fat. 

Bread (Farmhouse) showed serving size, total energy per serving and energy from fat.

Prunes only indicated serving size and total energy from a serving and energy from fat. 

Most of the products above also showed the % of Thai RDA for fat, cholesterol,  protein, sugars, fiber, sodium, iron and vitamins, etc. 

I would not trust the Thai RDA. RDA are very disputed. The opinions on cholesterol, carbohydrates and even protein vary massive. I would not put too much importance into these values and more look to eat as little processed food as possible...

43 minutes ago, h90 said:

I am somewhere 63-66kg range...no idea, but my jean I wear is size 31 and a bit too big. That does not make me fat I guess. Blood results...no idea and not interested in it, wasn't at any doctor for decades.

Best get a comprehensive blood workup. Pre-empt any issues before they become more serious.

4 minutes ago, h90 said:

I would not trust the Thai RDA. RDA are very disputed. The opinions on cholesterol, carbohydrates and even protein vary massive. I would not put too much importance into these values and more look to eat as little processed food as possible...

I don't read or take notice of the Thai RDA. I just gave that information for completeness. 

Yes, opinions on fats, carbohydrates and protein vary greatly. Just read any forum thread on food, diets, health etc, and that's clear. I choose to eat what works for me. I don't expect anyone else to eat the same as me or even think that what I eat is also good for them. Each to their own. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

This guy should check for an excess of venom and bile in his system... I feel sorry for him - what a miserable unkind existence... but then again, he is probably afraid that if he were sweet and kind, some fat guy would eat him for a snack... 

you sound weird, being fat really gets to you, making you negative and bitter