Sugar control and food labelling...

1FinickyOne

3 hours ago, JackGats said:

Google "glycemic index" and you will see that "contains sugar" is not equal to "contains carbohydrates".

I disagree with much of the GI, and agree with many of the thoughts expressed here:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d42473-022-00018-z#:~:text=The GI%2C with its narrow,not consider chronic disease risk.

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

I often relate that during my visits to the States, I have a hard time getting to the full-fat Greek yogurt or cottage cheese because of all the fat ladies in my way grabbing the low fat. 

that is very misguided of them, it is not the fat that makes you fat it is more the carbs that keep you hungry

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I disagree with much of the GI, and agree with many of the thoughts expressed here:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d42473-022-00018-z#:~:text=The GI%2C with its narrow,not consider chronic disease risk.

Advertiser retains sole responsibility for the content of this article.

Potatoes USA

For more information about this issue, check out some of the latest science and resources at potatogoodness.com

Hee hee.

Hack quoting some off-brand female academic dietitians, probably vegans themselves. Full of holes and uses a straw man argument (often used here) that somebody's claimed individual metabolisms don't exist.????  Ultimate aim is to sanitize "plant based" carbs--though veggies (and of course meat) need none, so always suitable for all metabolisms--for the sake of starches (oh--potatoes!) and, laughably, respect for cultural eating patterns so that recommendations work in the real world, as if they don't already if followed. After all, there's really not much justification for eating starches for nutrient purposes, unless you can't find better. 

Yet all the recommendations repeated ad nauseam in USA that in theory don't violate any cultural eating patterns  (at least, until the high carb, low fat, food industry-based Dietary Pyramid became the new pattern) also don't work. Redefining starches (now whole foods) as innocuous is nothing new, and it hasn't helped a bit in the real modern world, for good reason. We should buy more potatoes, though. 

Edited by BigStar

1 hour ago, h90 said:

that is very misguided of them, it is not the fat that makes you fat it is more the carbs that keep you hungry

of course it's the fat that makes you fat, those fat ladies probably eat a ton of junk fatty carbs. I've just eaten a plate of chips low fat, totally full now, just slim by chance i guess, genetics. I'll eat again tomorrow morning, i wonder how many fatties here will be binging or snacking later

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

of course it's the fat that makes you fat, those fat ladies probably eat a ton of junk fatty carbs. I've just eaten a plate of chips low fat, totally full now, just slim by chance i guess, genetics. I'll eat again tomorrow morning, i wonder how many fatties here will be binging or snacking later

Everything will make you fat, if you don't burn it off.  

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

of course it's the fat that makes you fat, those fat ladies probably eat a ton of junk fatty carbs.

In this instance, sugar carbs, in the low fat yogurt. Lots of sugar in their other foods, along with other carbs, leading to insulin spikes and drops, hence hunger for more of same. But they believe that low fat is doing them good. Adding fat or protein to all the carbs just means extra calories to help the weight gain or prevent weight loss.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Can you summarise the findings of these videos rather than just posting the links?

Yes ... ????

... for me , I like Olive Oil (2 types) and Peanut Oil, and almost use exclusively.   Sesame Oil once in while ????

Edited by KhunLA

10 hours ago, BigStar said:

In this instance, sugar carbs, in the low fat yogurt. Lots of sugar in their other foods, along with other carbs, leading to insulin spikes and drops, hence hunger for more of same. But they believe that low fat is doing them good. Adding fat or protein to all the carbs just means extra calories to help the weight gain or prevent weight loss.

no different to those fat people who drink diet coke, it's all the other food and drink they stuff in causing bad health 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

no different to those fat people who drink diet coke, it's all the other food and drink they stuff in causing bad health 

Quite different, in that low fat yogurt and most of the other products marketed as low fat contain sugar, not artificial sweetener, to make it taste better owing to the lack of fat. So then they eat more of it and when the subsequent (larger) sharp insulin spike drops they feel hungry for more sugar & carbs.

Diet Coke doesn't spike insulin significantly when combined with a low carb meal, as of course the fatties wouldn't do; it may prompt them to eat even more of their high carb meal, so defeating the purpose they'd had in mind. So while it contains zero calories, they end up ingesting more. Saw a pic the other day of Bill Gates with one, figures.

Even so, Diet Coke should be consumed only in moderation. I'll have one when I'm in the mood sometimes. ????

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 4:52 PM, scubascuba3 said:

If I don't eat breakfast I get hungry about 10-12 in the morning...depending on when I woke up, what I ate yesterday and if some good smell enters my nose.
If I eat breakfast like some toast with jam and coffee with sugar at 7AM, than I am at 9AM so hungry again that I could eat the neighbors dog.
If I would eat instead some mixed salad with some boiled eggs I wouldn't get that hunger effect.
If I would eat some chips at 5PM, I would eat something again at 8PM and may wake up at midnight and eat something more (But eating exact at midnight does not could for the previous and does not count for the next day...it is in the gap between two days and does not count at all ????)

• Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 10:46 AM, BigStar said:

Quite different, in that low fat yogurt and most of the other products marketed as low fat contain sugar, not artificial sweetener, to make it taste better owing to the lack of fat. So then they eat more of it and when the subsequent (larger) sharp insulin spike drops they feel hungry for more sugar & carbs.

Diet Coke doesn't spike insulin significantly when combined with a low carb meal, as of course the fatties wouldn't do; it may prompt them to eat even more of their high carb meal, so defeating the purpose they'd had in mind. So while it contains zero calories, they end up ingesting more. Saw a pic the other day of Bill Gates with one, figures.

Even so, Diet Coke should be consumed only in moderation. I'll have one when I'm in the mood sometimes. ????

And if you eat less sugar your taste gets more sensitive.....I did Keto for a while and when I ate a normal carrot it taste sweet like a cake for me. I guess it is also the other way if you eat a lot sweet things, nothing taste sweet enough. Still eating very little sugar I can't eat ketchup in Thailand. It taste like a weird jam made from tomatoes. Way too sweet.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Funny how when you're over the sugar addiction, the old normal sweet things seem distasteful.

Sure, I can barely drink 3 cokes in an hour anymore - if I had an ice cream sundae first... 

But seriously - what? OK. there is no seriously... 

2 hours ago, BigStar said:

Funny how when you're over the sugar addiction, the old normal sweet things seem distasteful.

After a while eating only things you cook yourself (and not cooking <deleted>) the body tells what it needs.....you went running in the heat....you put extra salt in your soup because it is not salty enough. You did hard exercise and you really want a big piece of pork. You had 3 times pork in a row and automatically you want some vegetables and fruits....Didn't sleep enough, feeling a bit sick and need to work, and want something sweet (some easy calories).

I think with that processed food, MSG, sugar, artificial sweetener, 24/7 availability, stress and lack of time/silence we kind of lost our instincts.
And one more: It is before or after 5 AM or PM the natural instincts tells me it is time for a beer ????

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Sure, I can barely drink 3 cokes in an hour anymore - if I had an ice cream sundae first... 

But seriously - what? OK. there is no seriously... 

For health reasons you should change the coke for beer. It goes down much easier than coke and doctors recommend in the heath when you sweat a lot you should drink a lot

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, h90 said:

And one more: It is before or after 5 AM or PM the natural instincts tells me it is time for a beer ????

????I'd never have thought I'd lose the craving for beer (or pizza). Never. But I did. I'll have one once in a while. Perfect for certain occasions. I have a glass of red wine daily, though. In a splurge, I prefer bourbon and water.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BigStar said:

????I'd never have thought I'd lose the craving for beer (or pizza). Never. But I did. I'll have one once in a while. Perfect for certain occasions. I have a glass of red wine daily, though. In a splurge, I prefer bourbon and water.

I am not drinking that much beer.....But after running or bicycle in the heat and being dehydrated, having an ice cold beer is better than sex. Unfortunately than the rest of the day isn't very productive anymore, so I do that very rarely. Also might not be the most healthy thing to do.
Pizza: if you make it yourself it is not that bad, beside that ham and salami that aren't full with things that don't belong into it (MSG, Soy protein, water binding chemicals) are difficult to find.

36 minutes ago, h90 said:

But after running or bicycle in the heat and being dehydrated, having an ice cold beer is better than sex.

I can easily relate to that, believe me. Nowadays, I stay so well-hydrated at the gym, ending with a final long drink of water and a protein shake, that I don't need or desire anything for a couple of hours afterward, by which time I'm all cooled off. Even without beer, I'm already wasted, so I imagine beer would put me right to sleep.  As P. D. Mangan says, If you leave the gym and think "that wasn't so bad", you didn't train hard enough.

55 minutes ago, h90 said:

Pizza: if you make it yourself it is not that bad, beside that ham and salami that aren't full with things that don't belong into it (MSG, Soy protein, water binding chemicals) are difficult to find.

I consider pizza, homemade, one of the healthiest, filling meals you can eat.

... dough does not need sugar

... neither does the sauce, and tomatoes are one of the healthiest foods

... Parmesan & Mozella, also 2 of the healthiest cheese

... meat topping, if any, is the only iffy part, though again, choosing wisely, or homemade, eliminates a lot of the 'over' processing done by packaged meats.

Not that nitrates & MSG per se are bad for you, as what you don't take in, your body will make it's own.  Though packaged meats definitely go OTT with their additives.

Same with cholesterol, and your liver probably produces the worst.  So adding good cholesterol to your diet is both filling & healthier than avoiding most times.  Just easy on the trans/trigs and easily avoided.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BigStar said:

I can easily relate to that, believe me. Nowadays, I stay so well-hydrated at the gym, ending with a final long drink of water and a protein shake, that I don't need or desire anything for a couple of hours afterward, by which time I'm all cooled off. Even without beer, I'm already wasted, so I imagine beer would put me right to sleep.  As P. D. Mangan says, If you leave the gym and think "that wasn't so bad", you didn't train hard enough.

I do the same in the gym. But up to 12km (sometimes 15) running I don't carry water with me and in Thailands heat I am heavy dehydrated and overheated afterwards. On the longer bicycle rides I have water with me, but still get dehydrated, it is just too hot for me during the day.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I consider pizza, homemade, one of the healthiest, filling meals you can eat.

... dough does not need sugar

... neither does the sauce, and tomatoes are one of the healthiest foods

... Parmesan & Mozella, also 2 of the healthiest cheese

... meat topping, if any, is the only iffy part, though again, choosing wisely, or homemade, eliminates a lot of the 'over' processing done by packaged meats.

Not that nitrates & MSG per se are bad for you, as what you don't take in, your body will make it's own.  Though packaged meats definitely go OTT with their additives.

Same with cholesterol, and your liver probably produces the worst.  So adding good cholesterol to your diet is both filling & healthier than avoiding most times.  Just easy on the trans/trigs and easily avoided.

When I eat it, I think it is too much carbohydrate if you don't do much sport. But that is because I don't eat 1 slice I eat 5 slices....and I make it too much bread like. If make the dough part thinner and the cheese more it would be healthier. I am not concerned about the nitrates in that amounts. I don't think that the MSG would harm you, but a sausage with MSG and other fillers is bad quality and I simply refuse to eat such products out of principle (if that is correct English).
Most of the cholesterol panic is just pharma product marketing. Don't be overweight, do sports and don't measure your cholesterol values unless you have some issues with heart in the family.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, h90 said:

I make it too much bread like. If make the dough part thinner and the cheese more it would be healthier.

I'm too lazy to make pizza from scratch. If I did,

https://www.google.com/search?q=low+carb+pizza+recipes&gl=us&hl=en

5 minutes ago, h90 said:

Most of the cholesterol panic is just pharma product marketing.

Very true. Amazing how the myth persists and is constantly repeated.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BigStar said:

I'm too lazy to make pizza from scratch. If I did,

https://www.google.com/search?q=low+carb+pizza+recipes&gl=us&hl=en

Very true. Amazing how the myth persists and is constantly repeated.

Pizza: you buy an automatic bread maker. put direct in water, salt, flour yeast, press the button. It is minimal work for the dough itself and minimal to clean. like 3-5 min total

Cholesterol: One of many myth...beside that fat is bad and the food pyramid that tells you to fill yourself up with carbs. If we would just forget the nutrition recommendations of the last 60 or so years (maybe more) and eat what our grand-grandmother would have cooked we would fix like 90% of the problems of the average people. Maybe not everything but most of the problems. There are films from the 1920,30,40s that shows the average people and there were basically no fat people which proofs that it is not human genetic to get fat, but something that we have changed. In my opinion: industrial food and wrong recommendations (low fat, high carb).