Tap water in Thailand

ravip

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Forget all the BS. Can you, like Bangkok, smell the chorine???? If not then go for all the hi-tech filtration.

If you are not going to drink it, just buy bottles and shower in whatever you have.

Smelling the chlorine just tells you chlorine is present, does not tell you anything about other metal contaminants.

19 minutes ago, norbra said:

My eyes "burn" showering in Bangkok tap water.supply.

Sometimes get smell of chlorine. 

The sediment filter on the ro water system stays surprisingly clean,but still change it frequently 

By the time water reaches your tap the chlorine has done its job so no downside to filtering it out at that point. Suggest a filter at the tap or (if you have a private house with reasonably new piping) whole house filter.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Smelling the chlorine just tells you chlorine is present, does not tell you anything about other metal contaminants.

OK. But if all one is going to do is shower. 

I spent my early life drinking water that I didn't know the content of. So far so good,

While the water might be fine leaving the water plant , it's while

making its way to your tap, that there can be problems ,most

likely are ,as the pipes are not place very well , an example in

the Moo Bahn over the road from me , the water supply is

placed in the drains , where overflow from septic tanks in the

houses ends up , things like that will be happening all over Thailand.

regards Worgeordie

32 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

the water supply is

houses ends up ,

Is the pressure in the water main higher than the overflow???? 

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Is the pressure in the water main higher than the overflow???? 

Except when the water goes off , it happens , the pressure in the mains

pipe will be high , but 3/4 " pipes come out from it into the houses.

Water pipes should never be near sewage .

regards worgeordie

would you boil an egg, and eat the egg in tap water, what type of cooking with it, Is ok then ? 

I've the same issues with vegetables and some fruit here, apparently peeling the skin off isn't enough.

22 hours ago, worgeordie said:

While the water might be fine leaving the water plant , it's while

making its way to your tap, that there can be problems ,most

likely are ,as the pipes are not place very well , an example in

the Moo Bahn over the road from me , the water supply is

houses ends up , things like that will be happening all over Thailand.

regards Worgeordie

Years back a buddy of mine visited Thailand.  He complained about the "ditch water", LOL.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/3/2023 at 4:22 PM, Pappap said:

One like this

To remove minerals you need RO filter (and be aware that some are sold with an extra filter to add minerals for those that believe they need.  A 5 stage RO filter system will cost about 3,000 baht in basic model.  If really RO filter TDS will be much reduced (about 10 times) but make sure you did not mix up flow and drain lines.  That photo does not appear to be RO (although made to look like one).

On 2/16/2023 at 5:45 PM, internationalism said:

no, it's not considered unfit for consumption.

you can drink it from tap, after evaporating chlorin.

preferable filtered

No Chlorine in our town water from the mountain, reverse osmosis is used to treat it, it's 'safe' when it leaves the treatment plant, but it's the pipe work that holds green crap, Heavy rain will bring what looks like broken down leaves that block tap filters, but when running clear i have used it for cooking, tea and coffee.  

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

To remove minerals you need RO filter (and be aware that some are sold with an extra filter to add minerals for those that believe they need.  A 5 stage RO filter system will cost about 3,000 baht in basic model.  If really RO filter TDS will be much reduced (about 10 times) but make sure you did not mix up flow and drain lines.  That photo does not appear to be RO (although made to look like one).

Hi, good info thanks, prob a bad photo but I only needed the basic 5 stage, not an RO so it wasn't sold as one. Tap water tested TDS wise and bad metals, nitrates etc ok, but I still wasn't sure about the quality so installed one of these, not much difference, and PH excellent, as most know RO is used ( supposedly) by the bottled water companies, variable, so a very low TDS and consequently lower PH which isn't good long term. still seems a bit strange not a lot of difference so will take some samples to the local marine water research lab near here, seems they test for all impurities.

Interesting reading, seems Tap water standards are above what most perceive them to be. Only way to be sure is to take one's own samples and get them tested I guess. Would presume the water bottle companies would heavily disagree with these findings? https://www.researchgate.net/publication/322954094_Evaluation_on_the_Quality_of_Bangkok_Tap_Water_with_Other_Drinking_Purpose_Water

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Pappap said:

Interesting reading, seems Tap water standards are above what most perceive them to be. Only way to be sure is to take one's own samples and get them tested I guess. Would presume the water bottle companies would heavily disagree with these findings? https://www.researchgate.net/publication/322954094_Evaluation_on_the_Quality_of_Bangkok_Tap_Water_with_Other_Drinking_Purpose_Water

Even back in the 70's US Embassy tested tap water in central Bangkok as safe to drink when drawn from mains - and better than the current bottled water available.  Both have improved greatly since then.  But with local storage  can come local issues so many, if not most, prefer to use additional filtration at point of use if drinking tap water.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Thumbs Up 1