Necrotising Fasciitis Awareness – Ed’s Scary Story

webfact

image.jpeg

By Editor 

A Dutchman living in Nakhon Ratchasima is on a mission to spread awareness about “flesh-eating disease" (necrotising fasciitis) after a mosquito bite became infected, then inflamed and painful, with no signs of healing.

Necrotising Fasciitis Awareness Day is on May 31st, aiming to provide information and help for the treatment and prevention of this infection. It also encourages people to provide support in any way possible for those affected.

Long-term expat, 62 year old Ed Olieslagers first went to the hospital in April last year to be diagnosed with this rare bacterial infection that spread rapidly and proved to be close to fatal.

image.png

Left, Ed’s early signs of infection followed by the need for an amputation above the knee (right).

‘’That was only the beginning of a long period of operations, medications and terrible pains that I still cannot describe in words,” he says.

After nine operations, it was clear that his left leg would need to be amputated above the knee to save his life, four months after his diagnosis.

“In my case, the body started reacting positively and then a new infections developed again and again.  I finally ended up twice in a sepsis situation, meaning the body started switching off non-vital parts, which results in death unless you take emergency action like an amputation.”

Necrotising fasciitis, also known as by the scarier tabloid name “flesh-eating disease”, is a rare and life-threatening infection that can happen if a wound gets infected.

image.jpeg

Symptoms can develop quickly within hours or over a few days.  These may include intense pain or loss of feeling near to a cut or wound – the pain may seem much worse than you would expect.  Swelling of the skin may occur around the affected area with flu-like symptoms, such as a high temperature, headache and tiredness.

Later symptoms can include being sick (vomiting), diarrhoea, black, purple or grey blotches and blisters on the skin (these may be less obvious on black or brown skin).

image.png

Necrotising means causing the death of tissues. fasciitis means inflammation of the fascia (the tissue under the skin that surrounds muscles, nerves, fat, and blood vessels).

It can happen when bacteria invade the soft tissue and fascia. They multiply quickly, releasing toxins and enzymes that cause blood clots in the blood vessels. this leads to the death of the tissues in your skin and muscles and the tissues under your skin.

Quick and accurate diagnosis of necrotising fasciitis and rapid antibiotic treatment and surgery are critical in stopping this infection before it causes severe damage or death.

Source: https://royalcoastreview.com/2023/02/necrotising-fasciitis-awareness-eds-scary-story/

image.png

-- © Copyright Royal Coast Review 2023-02-17

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Like 1

My story is not as scary as Ed,s, but Cellulitis can have very similar symptoms to Eds horrendous symptoms.

Cellulitis is something that is equally as scary.

I contracted this in my lower leg after a visit to a Thai Hospital for Surgery on my Eyes.

Its a for of MRSA and the infection can be very painful and unsightly, with all the skin sliding off the leg and a high probability of Necrosis taking hold.

My advice _ see a Doctor with all haste

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

I always have a jar of tiger balm handy for insect bites,stings.

TB has zero antibacterial or antibiotic function. Would not worry about insect stings triggering an infection either.

Povidone-iodine (antiseptic/cleansing)+ mupirocin ointment (antibiotic) is the standard protocol for any open cuts and small wounds .

Edited by Sandboxer
  • Like 2

I have no idea if it would prevent this Twilight Zone disease but I always rub tea tree oil on any mosquito bite asap. For me it stops the itch immediately, is rapidly absorbed through the skin. It's a powerful antiseptic; kills germs n bacteria. It also repels mozzies.

I use the old Mercurochrome (my dad used it on all his cuts and abrasions) or coloured iodine for scratches, gardening wounds. never get any wound infections.

• Like 1