Booking required for DL renewal at Bangkok DLT 3?

Hi,

My driving license is expiring in April and I would like to renew it soon. I've had all sorts of complications at DLT 3 (Bang Chack) before so any advice would be great.

So in my experience the requirements are different every time, but basically I will prepare a Certificate of address and take my passport (with business visa). Last time they wanted the medical certificate so I guess I'll just get that beforehand just in case.

Anyway, my main questions is that does DLT 3 now work as a "walk in process" or would they turn you away and require a booking? I really hope I can get it done in one visit and not that they give me a booking appointment in a month's time or something. I have heard reports of both but thought that the booking system was only in place for Covid restriction times. Can anyone confirm this and give any insights if they now do it as walk in?

I think this is my 4th DL in Thailand. I have had 1 year + 5 year + 2 year and now hoping to get a 5 year license as I have a proper visa (last time I only got 2 years because had TR visa).

I'm also interested if there are agents who can do this for you? I would really not mind paying a few thousand to avoid a hectic half day at the DL or even worse, having to go there several times. Are there agents to do DLs?  

10 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

I would really not mind paying a few thousand to avoid a hectic half day at the DL or even worse, having to go there several times. Are there agents to do DLs?  

I paid 1800baht for car and bike license during covid restrictions as obtaining an appointment was difficult. 

Think that included cost of licences.

In Bangkok I used BSR Bikes and found them great. 

Fat Boys is also a recommend agents and they are closer to Bang Chak.

Renewing my license soon.

Using agent again as found it helpful.

Attached recent chat: 

Screenshot_20230218-101958~2.jpg

Screenshot_20230218-101920~2.jpg

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I paid 1800baht for car and bike license during covid restrictions as obtaining an appointment was difficult. 

Think that included cost of licences.

In Bangkok I used BSR Bikes and found them great. 

Fat Boys is also a recommend agents and they are closer to Bang Chak.

Renewing my license soon.

Using agent again as found it helpful.

Attached recent chat: 

Screenshot_20230218-101958~2.jpg

Screenshot_20230218-101920~2.jpg

Ok that's great and thanks for sharing. This would really save me from a lot of hassle and I guess they won't require an appointment for the agents so I could get it renewed in time? 

So then I would need to trust them with my passport and documents or can they get it done with copies or how does it work?

If they get it done for me for 1800b without me having to step foot into the chaotic DLT, what would be well worth it :))

I'd check the Motor forum where most DL issues are updated.

In early December 2022 the wait for an appointment at Bang Chak was 2 ~ 3 months. At Chatuchak it was ~ 25 days.

Chatuchak DLT is pretty easy to get to, and my renewals were accomplished in less than 60 minutes.

AFAIK, even with a concierge service you need to attend both the appointment and renewal processes in person. I did.

1 minute ago, bamnutsak said:

I'd check the Motor forum where most DL issues are updated.

In early December 2022 the wait for an appointment at Bang Chak was 2 ~ 3 months. At Chatuchak it was ~ 25 days.

Chatuchak DLT is pretty easy to get to, and my renewals were accomplished in less than 60 minutes.

AFAIK, even with a concierge service you need to attend both the appointment and renewal processes in person. I did.

Thanks, so I have been hearing that Chatuchak is faster and more convenient. Do you mean that in any case I would need to make a booking for appointment. Can I really not get it renewed by walk in on the same day anymore?

If that is the case, how do I make a booking?

I read that the agent process requires you to go with them so in that case I don't see any benefit really.

I was at Bang Chak this week.   Even though there was a line of chairs outside marked "walk-ins", the 'pleasant' information lady barked at us that we would need appointments.    The place was a zoo.  Makes agent usage very desirable.

3 minutes ago, tjintx said:

I was at Bang Chak this week.   Even though there was a line of chairs outside marked "walk-ins", the 'pleasant' information lady barked at us that we would need appointments.    The place was a zoo.  Makes agent usage very desirable.

Seems like nothing has improved then. I don't get it what they require now. The big question I have now is how to make the booking??

During covid times in 2021 I had to go to Bang Chak to pick up a queue number for a month ahead but there must be some easier way. Not that I have to go to that maniac place twice?

23 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

Do you mean that in any case I would need to make a booking for appointment.

I did, in early December.

Can I really not get it renewed by walk in on the same day anymore?

I could not in December.

If that is the case, how do I make a booking?

Go to the DLT, make an appointment. You'll need the Certificate of Residence, or other acceptable proof of residence.

16 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

Not that I have to go to that maniac place twice?

It's really not that bad. Same experience as Permission to Stay annual renewal, IME/O.

I used a concierge service. Well worth it IMO.

Edited by bamnutsak

49 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

I read that the agent process requires you to go with them so in that case I don't see any benefit really.

Yes you need to go to transport office with or without agent.

I outlined that above.

The agent can obtain a "slot" for you. It's not an appointment but guarantees a spot in queue.

Read the reply I had from BSR that I posted. 

Basically I will obtain the residence certificate myself and also medical. 

When I have those items in place I will contact agent and they will organize a date. 

Note it takes couple of weeks just to obtain residence certificate in Bangkok and you must have done 90 day reports. 

That would be some weeks after I have obtained residence certificate etc.

It's a hand holding exercise.

Worth it imo. 

To each their own.

Edited by DrJack54

3 hours ago, Digitalbanana said:

Did mine a few months ago at DLT3, walks in was OK, got it all done inside 90mins.

That's music to my ears! Hope I get lucky but knowing the DLT 3 I'm thinking of just going to Chatuchak instead eventho I live much closer to DLT 3. 

Can you tell me if your DL was close to expiry date? Wondering if that makes a difference.

What I'm really trying to get at that is there no way to make that booking without visiting the DLT first? Just to go there and queue up to ask theses questions takes a few hours out of my day. Someone mentioned DLT's booking app which was only for Thais but seemingly was possible to have wife to book?

I suppose on option is that I have everything prepared and then go and see if I can get it done right away or they will give me an appointment time. The problem with that is that the certificate of residence is only valid for 30 days so what if they give me an appointment time more than 30 days away. Well that would no be the only problem since I'm going to drive to the south of Thailand in about a month from now.

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes you need to go to transport office with or without agent.

I outlined that above.

The agent can obtain a "slot" for you. It's not an appointment but guarantees a spot in queue.

Read the reply I had from BSR that I posted. 

Basically I will obtain the residence certificate myself and also medical. 

When I have those items in place I will contact agent and they will organize a date. 

Note it takes couple of weeks just to obtain residence certificate in Bangkok and you must have done 90 day reports. 

That would be some weeks after I have obtained residence certificate etc.

It's a hand holding exercise.

Worth it imo. 

To each their own.

Yes I read it all and some other posts and noticed that you have to be present. Then it just makes it pretty much the same as when I go with my wife who normally does all the talking and handling. I would be willing to pay extra to make sure I get it done within the coming weeks but I guess the agents can't help with that or get a walk in. 

My visa handling company can get me the certificate of residence in a week but what I don't understand now is how do I know when to order it if it's only valid for 30 days and I have no idea if I will get to do the DL extension within that time frame. I sure hope I can do it as a walk in but that's optimistic. I basically need to get it done before March 25 or my road trip plans are screwed. I can go to any DLT in BKK - whichever is quickest. There must be some way of booking the time online, no? 

1 hour ago, ChomDo said:

My visa handling company can get me the certificate of residence in a week but what I don't understand now is how do I know when to order it if it's only valid for 30 days and I have no idea if I will get to do the DL extension within that time frame

Think you will find they will be more flexible with validity of certificate of residence than just one month. 

Thai Rath did a web piece stating that walk INS are now possible.

I haven't read much to support that.

Thread attached is recent and first useful post was experience of walk in just to obtain the appointment and what was required.

Hence my reason for using an agent. 

Simply to limit trips to Transport office to one.

Surprised that your visa company can obtain a certificate of residence on your behalf in Bangkok.

Most Bike/License joints cannot.

I've just received info elsewhere what a few foreigners were getting the extensions done easily by using the DLT Smart Queue App. A few said they booked a time at Baan Khun Tien Bangkok (never heard of the place) and got it all done in 20 mins.

Anyone used this system successfully?

I'll give it a try but hope they don't require any of these pink, yellow etc coloured ID cards and booklets some expats talk about. Never had any of those. I would assume the DL number would do when you're extending and not applying for a new one.

5 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

I've just received info elsewhere what a few foreigners were getting the extensions done easily by using the DLT Smart Queue App

Extensions done to what? 

Are you referring to Thai diving license.

Read up in motor forum many threads there. 

Again I mentioned earlier that my agent stated  it would take weeks after I obtain docs to get slot for license renewal. 

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Extensions done to what? 

Again I mentioned earlier that my agent stated  it would take weeks after I obtain docs to get slot for license renewal. 

Yes but it proved to be quite useless. I registered succesfuly and you could book an appointment for DL renewal in the DLT of your choice but it shows "FULL" for all 3 DLTs in Bangkok until mid April.

I think my only choice is to try the walk in first at DLT3 and then Chatuchak. It seems to be just a question of luck that some can do it and others get handed an appointment date.

I'll have wife call them first tho if they could give some info. 

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Extensions done to what? 

I was checking out the Fatboys service you mentioned and it does sound tempting if they could get a slot earlier than by me going to the DLT on my own. Not sure if they have that capability but if I can get the DL renewed before March 25 I would be willing to pay plenty extra just for the peace of mind. 

I will call them on Monday just to see what they say. It also sounds worth it if using them limits the trip to the DL to one as you said. But would I not have to visit their office or can the docs they need be sent to them by email? And after that just one trip to the DL on the appointment date. I guess the agents can also guarantee a smooth process and avoiding issues. When I went there with my wife, I had some sort of issue every time which is a real headache.

12 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

But would I not have to visit their office or can the docs they need be sent to them by email? And after that just one trip to the DL on the appointment date.

Agents inform you what docs are required. 

No you do not go to their office.

You meet them one time at DLT.

Your time frame might be ambitious. 

I posted reply from BSR earlier re process 

They indicated a month from me providing required docs.

You don't even have certificate of residence at this time.

As I mentioned earlier not sure how your agent obtains that on your behalf.

Fat Boys, BSR etc cannot obtain certificate of residence in Bangkok.

In any event I have outlined my advice few times in this thread.

That's sufficient. 

2 hours ago, ChomDo said:

Yes but it proved to be quite useless. I registered succesfuly and you could book an appointment for DL renewal in the DLT of your choice but it shows "FULL" for all 3 DLTs in Bangkok until mid April.

I just had a go at booking, Bang Chak full until August, DLT5 at Chatujak is not bookable (greyed out)

image.png.1c2ae40af7f89284bfe16e9fd1e99f22.png

22 hours ago, Luuk Chaai said:

I used Fat Boy's  Onut Soi 17    2 times    fatboys motorbike rentals onnut

the only thing they do not do is take the physical test for you ..  fantastic service....

and the  attending agents,,  wow !

I'm trying to reach them to see what's the soonest time they would have. Tried Line for two branches and calling the Ekkamai branch but no response yet. 

On 2/18/2023 at 6:42 PM, DodgerRodger said:

I just had a go at booking, Bang Chak full until August, DLT5 at Chatujak is not bookable (greyed out)

image.png.1c2ae40af7f89284bfe16e9fd1e99f22.png

I just tried the app on Friday and most branches had the first available times in mid April. My DL expires in the end of March so I didn't book any. Have to just try the walk in. 

With this queue system, do people just keep driving with expired licences. Like if it's really a 2 months wait for many, I guess they do. 

I still don't get it why some foreigners have been lucky to renew as a walk in right away and some are turned away with an appointment time. Just according to their mood at the DLT?  

On 2/18/2023 at 6:41 PM, DrJack54 said:

Agents inform you what docs are required. 

No you do not go to their office.

You meet them one time at DLT.

Your time frame might be ambitious. 

I posted reply from BSR earlier re process 

They indicated a month from me providing required docs.

You don't even have certificate of residence at this time.

As I mentioned earlier not sure how your agent obtains that on your behalf.

Fat Boys, BSR etc cannot obtain certificate of residence in Bangkok.

In any event I have outlined my advice few times in this thread.

That's sufficient. 

Yes you have given plenty of useful info, thanks. I'm trying to reach the agents to find out what the earliest available time would be. If it goes into April, I will have to just try the walk in at a few different DLTs because I'm planning on driving down south in the end of March. Also, I drive daily so having my DL expire would be bad. 

I could have started to prepare earlier of course but I could not imagine that there would be this chaos again. Thought the appointment system was only for covid times.

9 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

I'm trying to reach them to see what's the soonest time they would have. Tried Line for two branches and calling the Ekkamai branch but no response yet. 

You are making easy difficult.

You can contact BSK bikes via messenger and they reply fairly quickly.

Alternatively call them by Google their website.

The owner is USA guy and you can chat with him.

Think named Mark. 

As for your other question regarding expiry of TDL you can renew license even if it's expired.

Some folk actually obtain it after birthdate as your 5 years starts from next birthday.

Driving on your expired license would/maybe issue for insurance 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You are making easy difficult.

You can contact BSK bikes via messenger and they reply fairly quickly.

Alternatively call them by Google their website.

The owner is USA guy and you can chat with him.

Think named Mark. 

As for your other question regarding expiry of TDL you can renew license even if it's expired.

Some folk actually obtain it after birthdate as your 5 years starts from next birthday.

Driving on your expired license would/maybe issue for insurance 

Called BSR Bike and it sounded pretty optimistic getting the DL renewed in time.

By the way they said you have to go twice now. First meet with them at Chatuchack DLT to get the booking time and then meet again on the day of renewal appointment. They did say they can get me a time sooner than if I go on my own which I of course don't know if that is true but I'd probably do it with them just to avoid any extra hassle.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 2:27 PM, ChomDo said:

Can you tell me if your DL was close to expiry date? Wondering if that makes a difference.

It was 4 months into the final year, i.e. my b/day that it expired on was 4 months past. I did look at online appointments at DLT3, but all booked out months in advance, so just did walk in no issues. I would certainly just walk in any day if doing it next time.

1 minute ago, ChomDo said:

By the way they said you have to go twice now.

That's a bummer.

Previously it was just once.

You best address the certificate of residence. Think to make the appointment you will need to have your paperwork ready. 

That could mean medical and residence certificate. 

The rest is simple.

You mentioned earlier above that you have someone that can obtain that for you.

I'm not aware of an agent that can do that in Bangkok.

I'm also in process of doing the same. The residence certificate alone can take 2 weeks received via mail.