Russia has committed crimes against humanity, says Kamala Harris

Scott

V20210305LJ-0043-cropped.jpg

The Biden administration has formally concluded that Russia committed crimes against humanity during its nearly year-long invasion of Ukraine, Kamala Harris has said.

“In the case of Russia’s actions in Ukraine we have examined the evidence, we know the legal standards, and there is no doubt: these are crimes against humanity,” the US vice-president and former prosecutor said in prepared remarks delivered in a speech at the Munich security conference on Saturday.

“And I say to all those who have perpetrated these crimes, and to their superiors who are complicit in those crimes, you will be held to account.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/18/us-accuses-russia-crimes-against-humanity-kamala-harris-ukraine

guardian.j.jpg

• Haha 1

well yea we all knew that when they were run out of the area around Kiev I sincerely hope they get to prosecute any survivors it certainly should be part of the reparations package once they are evicted from ALL of Ukraine ???????? 

• Like 2

Kamala Harris dont know what crimes against humanity is.

Compared to other situations in the past with other countries, Russia is as bad as the others

No difference, it is war and such things happen then.

But you hear from the other fighting countries, someone screaming about crimes against humanity? 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Kamala Harris dont know what crimes against humanity is.

Compared to other situations in the past with other countries, Russia is as bad as the others

But you hear from the other fighting countries, someone screaming about crimes against humanity? 

Are you suggesting no action should be taken against Russia because other countries have done the same thing?

a sad example specimen of the human race has reacted with a laughing emoji to the announcement of crimes against humanity committed by Ruzzia.

(please note I am not against emojis, freedom of expression all the way!)

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, tgw said:

a sad example specimen of the human race has reacted with a laughing emoji to the announcement of crimes against humanity committed by Ruzzia.

(please note I am not against emojis, freedom of expression all the way!)

I doubt whether the laugher was laugher at the war crimes , quite possible laughing about a different aspect to the story  

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I doubt whether the laugher was laugher at the war crimes , quite possible laughing about a different aspect to the story  

How is that?that VP Harris spoke the truth?or that VP Harris is an attorney or that she was the attorney general for California (5th largest economy on the planet)perhaps could it be that she was on the short list for the Supreme Court or is it that she was a United States senator and now she is the vice president of the United States?naaa I know it’s because she is a woman AND it’s the truth responsible governments don’t say things of such gravity without a lot of forethought and study backed up by facts unfortunately it is what it is 

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Tug said:

How is that?that VP Harris spoke the truth?or that VP Harris is an attorney or that she was the attorney general for California (5th largest economy on the planet)perhaps could it be that she was on the short list for the Supreme Court or is it that she was a United States senator and now she is the vice president of the United States?naaa I know it’s because she is a woman AND it’s the truth responsible governments don’t say things of such gravity without a lot of forethought and study backed up by facts unfortunately it is what it is 

Could be that the war has been going on for 1 year and the atrocities have been well known and publicised  and Kamala jumps in and states the obvious after keeping quiet for a whole year?

Like, Thanks for letting us know Kamala , we had no idea terrible things were going on in Ukraine ????

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

There's an organized process in which the U.S. comes to these decisions of charging war crimes. That process was followed as it should be with any administration. It's sadly obvious that some people can't be objective about this and get over their rabidly partisan bias. This isn't Harris or the democrats announcing this determination. It is the United States Government doing so. 

US Declares Russia Committed 'Crimes Against Humanity' in Ukraine (voanews.com)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The USA isn't in a position to charge other Countries for war crimes, that is the U.N's job .

The USA doesn't rule the World and the USA isn't the United Nations .

The U.N decide who commits war crimes, NOT the USA

Actually, that is not correct.  It is the International Criminal Court that has the mandate to investigate and prosecute genocide, crimes against humanity, and war crimes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Could be that the war has been going on for 1 year and the atrocities have been well known and publicised  and Kamala jumps in and states the obvious after keeping quiet for a whole year?

Like, Thanks for letting us know Kamala , we had no idea terrible things were going on in Ukraine ????

Just jumping on the bandwagon again. Typical of Harris. 

I'd love to know how she plans to hold them to account. Force them to listen to her word salad on repeat? Come to think of it, most of her speeches could be classified as crimes against humanity. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I guess what we're witnessing here is KDS. Kamala Derangement Syndrome.

Indeed, deflect the facts and focus on Kamala.

In March the International Court of Justice made a preliminary decision to fast-track the procedure (pdf download from the EU)

The process of trials and convictions is well under way. The ICC (International Criminal Court) sent a team of over 40 members to Ukraine in May. 

Meet The People Helping Prosecute War Crimes in Ukraine

On May 25, 2022, three months and one day after the invasion, the United States, the European Union, and the United Kingdom established the Atrocity Crimes Advisory Group (ACA) as the agreed trans-Atlantic community mechanism for addressing atrocity crimes in Ukraine.

https://www.mccaininstitute.org/resources/events/meet-the-people-helping-prosecute-war-crimes-in-ukraine/

Of course on another level Ukraine with the help of international lawyers has already started with war crime courts having convicted at least one Russian soldier already.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2023 at 6:42 PM, ozimoron said:

Are you suggesting no action should be taken against Russia because other countries have done the same thing?

Why should you? Russia is only a big opponent, at which people has a dislike.

Once it was "red" , now a mix of all, but mostly dictator. How ever all countries in fact are.

Countries are led by dictators, there is no communism or democratic system. 

Only regimes which allows you some more, but thats it.

It is hypocrite to mention only Russia in acting crimes against humanity.

There are and were lots of those actions, every where, anywhere, anytime in this world.

Im not allowed to say more, because of the topic.

So it is hypocrite to judge only Russia on crimes to humanity.

You have to take all cases to court then, where it is proven crimes against humanity and that are a way more then only Russia.  

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Why should you? Russia is only a big opponent, at which people has a dislike.

Once it was "red" , now a mix of all, but mostly dictator. How ever all countries in fact are.

Countries are led by dictators, there is no communism or democratic system. 

Only regimes which allows you some more, but thats it.

It is hypocrite to mention only Russia in acting crimes against humanity.

There are and were lots of those actions, every where, anywhere, anytime in this world.

Im not allowed to say more, because of the topic.

So it is hypocrite to judge only Russia on crimes to humanity.

You have to take all cases to court then, where it is proven crimes against humanity and that are a way more then only Russia. 

I never said Russia was the only country that committed war crimes and crimes against humanity. You are deflecting. Do you deny that Russia committed both?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I never said Russia was the only country that committed war crimes and crimes against humanity. You are deflecting. Do you deny that Russia committed both?

So no i dont deny

But there are some countries, not even at war, violating human rights and do crimes against humanity. Even my "own country".

2 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

So no i dont deny

But there are some countries, not even at war, violating human rights and do crimes against humanity. Even my "own country".

Why not start a thread about war crimes in other countries? It's off topic here. You're just engaging in whataboutery aka deflection. This topic is just about Russia.

12 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Why not start a thread about war crimes in other countries? It's off topic here. You're just engaging in whataboutery aka deflection. This topic is just about Russia.

It is not about war crimes, but crimes against humanity, by Russia.

Coincidentally Russia started the war with Ukraine and did.

Depending on how you read the topic headline. 

So is it only about Russia or worldwide with just Russia as centerpoint?

The topic line would have been better fitted with the word warcrimes.

Then you leave out all other cases. As far as i know only Yemen is also still at war.

As crimes against humanity are happening almost anywhere. Nothing new about that.

35 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Then you leave out all other cases. As far as i know only Yemen is also still at war.

As crimes against humanity are happening almost anywhere. Nothing new about that.

Just now, xtrnuno41 said:

Again, this topic isn't about anywhere. It's about Russia committing war crimes and crimes against humanity in Ukraine. Stay on topic and stop trying to deflect.

• Like 1