Tourists Fined for Riding Jet Skis in Krabi

snoop1130

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

10,000 baht for each jet ski they rode off Hong Island

not enough!!!!    40,000 per SECOND they are destroying everything!!!!!  

Unless it's me, then it's a mai bpen rai see you later.

It's NOT me..... so take their passports and fine 1 million per day until I'm happy

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

The news clip is a bit vague, simply saying the province banned jet skis...

... the whole province of Krabi ?

Ao Nang

Lanta

PP

It does say Russian 'tourists' unless borrowed from friends, I don't think they carried them on their flight.  

All the tourist boats are allowed, but a few jet skis are not ...

... to protect the environment of course????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CanadaSam said:

So, how in heck did they get the things from Pattaya to Krabi?  Ride them?

I guess transported on cars, and most likely they owned themselves. Meet often jet skiis on lakes from bangkok around in Thailand when kayaking also.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Ao Nang

Lanta

PP

It does say Russian 'tourists' unless borrowed from friends, I don't think they carried them on their flight.  

If they even could regulate more, it would have been better for the environment, but people need work. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Ao Nang

Lanta

PP

Most Thais don't know the difference between a tourist and an expat. Many expats don't know the difference between a one-year extension of stay and permanent residence.

Not just jet skis, but all water sports are banned in Krabi for environmental reasons. However, mass transport of tourists by commercial vessels has caused major damage to some islands (and much loss of life), in this magnificent bay.

There have been several incidents noted in this forum over the years of tourists taking hire jet skis from Phuket to Krabi islands and also of Thais trying to subvert the rules by starting hire businesses there.

• Like 1

Fortunately jet ski's are not allowed in Krabi. But meanwhile the polluting and very noisy Long-tail boats are allowed to roam all day near the beaches. We stayed in a Tubkaek (Krabi) beach front accomodation, but hardly had any peacefull time, before the next long-tail boat arrived and disturbed the peace.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Ao Nang

Lanta

PP

Maybe the ski's were carry on personal items because they won't fit in the overhead

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

The Glory of Koh Chang, being a national park ALL jet skis are banned except for rescue crews. Unfortunately Jet Boats are yet to be banned to the best of my knowledge.

Or long tail boats, but as said, people need work, make money and hopefully future comes to Thailand as well, with more regulations because of more tourists arriving want to go the same places.

Im all in for more sailboats, kayaks and paddle board tourism, but that is a long shot and unrealistic. 

Well they must have had a support boat to follow them over and around the bay and into the Krabi Area, or maybe they were towed by a submarine.....or wait they used them to pull the Thai Governments new Submarine since it is engineless......

To use a jet ski in Thailand you need to have a valid license. All these rentals should be banned. Most people hate Jet skis, only a small percentage use them but they are annoying the majority. This is the same as renting a motor bike without a motorbike license. Many laws but no enforcement what so ever.

• Like 1

Russian Ex-pat Couple From Pattaya Fined After Riding Jet-Skis in Krabi Protected Area

A Russian man and his wife who are ex-pats who live in Pattaya were fined 20,000 baht after riding jet-skis in a protected area in Mueang Krabi.
A video of the two foreigners who were riding on jet-skis at a bay near Hong Island in Krabi, Khao Thong sub-district went viral on social media yesterday (February 19th).

The Krabi Marine Office told the Phuket Express that the video clip was recorded by a tour boat operator before informing relevant officials.

https://thepattayanews.com/2023/02/21/russian-ex-pat-couple-from-pattaya-fined-after-riding-jet-skis-in-krabi-protected-area/

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, pattjock said:

Most people hate Jet skis, only a small percentage use them but they are annoying the majority. This is the same as renting a motor bike without a motorbike license. Many laws but no enforcement what so ever.

Really, did you ask everyone ?  Nothing wrong with jet skis, quite fun and practical at times.

Just because you don't like them, and guess you've never driven one.

Not sure what that has to do with motorbikes or rental of.  Live & let live.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Hummin said:

If jetskiis did just start and go, it would be nice, but they have to back and forth 50 times in 30 min, annoying and not even fun to ride more than 5 min if not possible to go anywhere

Not the jet skies fault, but the drivers.  I certainly wouldn't rent one if told to stay right here in 'this' bay, so if renting at Patong and told to stay there, not allowed to cruise over to Karon or Kata.

I've rented before, if not able to rent a boat, depend where cruising around at.  Great fun.

Even Im a speedfreak, I enjoy padling kayak and SUp more on water if a nice area with plenty of Islands and nice water. Great to snorkeling and freediving from. just tie it to your ankle if not to much waves or wind. 

Edited by Hummin

On 2/21/2023 at 6:30 PM, KhunLA said:

Really, did you ask everyone ?  Nothing wrong with jet skis, quite fun and practical at times.

Just because you don't like them, and guess you've never driven one.

Not sure what that has to do with motorbikes or rental of.  Live & let live.

I did not ask everyone but the vast majority I have talked to don't like to have them next to the swimming and sun bathing areas. The people renting out these things are constantly driving them very close to the beach to attract customers, creating noise and stinking fumes.

They can be fun and practical but there should be an area well away from people that want to have a relaxing and safe time at the beach.

Police conduct checks of motorbike drivers licenses all the time and people renting out a bike to someone without a motorbike license can be fined. You need a license to drive a jet ski but I have never seen anyone check anyone's license.

• Like 1