SRT Tests Battery-Powered Locomotive

webfact

image.jpeg

by Tanakorn Sangiam

BANGKOK (NNT) - The State Railway of Thailand is testing out the first battery-powered locomotive for operational feasibility and safety. The national railway operator is planning to order 50 more of these engines to haul both passenger and freight trains in the future.

The State Railway of Thailand (SRT) has revealed it is testing the new battery-powered locomotive on the national railway network to evaluate its performance. The so-called EV locomotive has been hauling trains onto the elevated tracks and platforms of Krung Thep Aphiwat Central Terminal with great success. The national railway operator is planning to use this locomotive to haul passenger and freight trains in the later stages of testing.

Mr. Ekkarat Sriarayanpong, head of SRT’s public relations department, said the SRT, together with King Mongkut’s Institute of Technology Ladkrabang and Energy Absolute, is testing this first battery-powered locomotive, which could help improve the country’s rail transport and energy security.

All trains run by the SRT, except for the newly-opened Red Lines commuter train, use diesel-electric locomotives and multiple units to operate.

Unlike other electric locomotives which rely on constant electricity input, this battery-powered locomotive can operate on a non-electrified track. This particular model also comes with a fast charging facility that can charge the battery to full in just an hour, and a battery swapping station that swaps out the battery in under 10 minutes.

The locomotive can run up to 300 kilometers per a single charge when hauling carriages.

The locomotive in testing has a maximum speed of 120 kilometers per hour. The SRT plans to operate this locomotive at up to 100 kilometers per hour for passenger services, and up to 70 kilometers per hour for freight services. It is expected to cost 40-60% less to operate, compared to a conventional diesel locomotive.

The SRT will soon be using this locomotive to haul freight wagons from Lat Krabang Inland Container Depot to Laem Chabang Port to test out the performance and safety.

The SRT is planning to place orders for around 50 battery-powered locomotives, with the first battery-operated trains in passenger service expected to start this year.

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG230221103937018

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2023-02-21

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Distance by rail from Bangkok to Chiang Mai is 744 kilometers (Google) so there will be the need to make 2 long stops to change/recharge batteries or replace with another fully charged locomotive???

Most probably they will just switch locomotives and recharge the first one at a siding ready for a southbound train.

https://www.thailandtrains.com/northern-line-map/

Perhaps at Phitsanulok with a fresh crew.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

They can just stick a containerized generator on the first wagon after the locomotive and save the batter swap.

Yeah, diesel, electric (overhead) and battery hybrid locos are being trialled by several manufacturers. I would certainly have thought that a PHEV concept would be better for the conditions on SRT.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Distance by rail from Bangkok to Chiang Mai is 744 kilometers (Google) so there will be the need to make 2 long stops to change/recharge batteries or replace with another fully charged locomotive???

Then after a few months 3 stops then 4 as batteries become depleted.

• Thanks 1

Where are the Batteries produced ? will they explode like the ferries tother day ? I got a small electric Chinese scooter/bike, great for 4 months 1hr drive, now down to 15min. It is now sitting in my shed unused. Cost of bike 8k for new batteries 2k, financially not worth it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, webfact said:

The State Railway of Thailand is testing out the first battery-powered locomotive for operational feasibility and safety.

The State Railway of Thailand is testing out the first battery-powered locomotive

LOL.

There have been been battery powered locos since 1905

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Underground_battery-electric_locomotives

London Underground battery-electric locomotives are battery locomotives used for hauling engineers' trains on the London Underground network where they can operate when the electric traction current is switched off. The first two locomotives were built in 1905.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

10 minutes isn't long. Did you read the OP?

Unfortunately I did not, but it was soon pointed out to me in another reply. So, from Bangkok to Chiang Mai would require two stops for 10 minutes charging time - 20 minutes. Will this be added to the current travelling time or would these new locomotives travel faster than the current diesel electric ones thus being able to make up time??

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I got a small electric Chinese scooter/bike, great for 4 months 1hr drive, now down to 15min. It is now sitting in my shed unused.

Thanks for your interesting comment and Chinese batteries. For reference:-

BANGKOK, Jan. 11 (Xinhua) -- The first battery-powered locomotive manufactured by China Railway Rolling Stock Corporation (CRRC) Dalian Co. Ltd was launched here on Wednesday to aid Thailand's efforts to improve its railway service while cutting carbon emissions....Testing of the locomotive was conducted successfully by the State Railway of Thailand at the Bang Sue Grand Station in Bangkok.......The locomotive was jointly developed by CRRC Dalian and Energy Absolute Public Company Limited (EA) of the Southeast Asia country.(Thailand)

https://english.news.cn/20230112/f7e5aa5d551943ae97f34b389502476c/c.html

2 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Unfortunately I did not, but it was soon pointed out to me in another reply. So, from Bangkok to Chiang Mai would require two stops for 10 minutes charging time - 20 minutes. Will this be added to the current travelling time or would these new locomotives travel faster than the current diesel electric ones thus being able to make up time??

It's not charging time, it's battery changing time.

Given the lengthy stops on that line with diesel engines and having never arrived on time I doubt it makes much difference if they stop to change batteries anyway.

Speed makes little difference as it's a single track system, and requires waiting for trains from the other direction to pass.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

What difference does it make really over a 12 hour journey?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The State Railway of Thailand is testing out the first battery-powered locomotive

LOL.

There have been been battery powered locos since 1905

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Underground_battery-electric_locomotives

London Underground battery-electric locomotives are battery locomotives used for hauling engineers' trains on the London Underground network where they can operate when the electric traction current is switched off. The first two locomotives were built in 1905.

They didn't claim to have been the first to invent them. The article just said the SRT is trialling the first battery powered train.......and they are.