Planning to Retire in Thailand

33 minutes ago, ChintaHuma said:

After I started listing my expenses, it seems I may be able to afford health insurance. I have been to Bogota and I liked it. But never been to Coffee Triangle.  May be I should make a trip to get the vibe. But there are no beaches I assume in the coffee triangle. Thanks for the suggestions. 

Bogota is much more dangerous than Manizales.

Manizales has a sophisticated restaurant scene but would be a problem for Asian food. Modern malls too. 

I assume you have preexisting conditions. That makes private insurance a problem but you should research your specific situation for Thailand.

The great thing about Colombia insurance system is that its private with strong government oversight. It will.likely cost less than 100 a month and everyone is accepted, as I said you must enroll.

If you start young enough there are options with great extra perks but the basic coverage is still available older.

Armenia if you want a smaller flatter city. Avoid Pereira.

No need to put money in bank for visa. Beaches fly to Cartagena or Santa Marta.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Love It 1

4 hours ago, ChintaHuma said:

Please advice all that is required for retirement in Thailand. I know I have to keep 800K in a bank account

It is all here. Just not in one place.  You need to do several weeks - at least - of reading on this forum.

• Sad 1

If he waits and his income is above 65K monthly he can use the income method but it's a pain in the butt because you need to have that showing coming into Thailand every month. Miss one month and no extension.

Another big advantage for Colombia.

Permanent residency after 5 years.

Thailand permanent residency for retired expats NEVER. 

Edited by Jingthing

Pattaya is a city and the beach is not thta nice
with 50,000 baht/month as a single guy, dont drink or take ladies, check out Phuket
lots of nice places,  1 bedroom 6-15,000 baht, golf, shopping, lawn bowling, gyms, beaches, bicycling, road trips, walks in the hills

Rent 6-15,000/

Electricity; 1,000-1,500, phone 50, water free, internet 600, Entertainment free with android box
transport, Buy a bike ( 40-60,000) an gas less than 300/month
groceries 6,000
eating out as a single guy, NON western food all the time 5,000
never had health insurance 
weed 6,000  LOL:
was in town yesterday,  nice thai stick 20% THC  3,000 baht/100 grms
other starting at 1,900/100 grms

look at various fb groups , am sure u will find poeple like you.

if you have the 800,000 in the bank visa 1,900/year
no baht in Bank  16-17,000 /year

Edited by zzzzz
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

with 50,000 baht/month as a single guy, dont drink or take ladies, check out Phuket
lots of nice places,  1 bedroom 6-15,000 baht, golf, shopping, lawn bowling, gyms, beaches, bicycling, road trips, walks in the hills

Rent 6-15,000/

Electricity; 1,000-1,500, phone 50, water free, internet 600, Entertainment free with android box
groceries 6,000
weed 6,000  LOL:

Even if I could not perform, I would end up alone in this world, I would still go out with ladies, or even in a relationship. Thailand can make you feel lonely if you do not have something to do which give you some kind of socializing. 

I hate going out alone eating alone, and nope a male friend or the boys can not fill in that emptiness.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

If he waits and his income is above 65K monthly he can use the income method but it's a pain in the butt because you need to have that showing coming into Thailand every month. Miss one month and no extension.

Another big advantage for Colombia.

Permanent residency after 5 years.

Thailand permanent residency for retired expats NEVER. 

Columbians are friendlier than thais, in my experience. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

Rent 6-15,000/

groceries 6,000
weed 6,000  LOL:

How much interest is there on a saving account with 800k?

Visa agents take 30k first year right? And then 15k +- 

Edited by Hummin

8 hours ago, still kicking said:

I retired in Oz with nothing since I lost everything in Thailand, now I live on the pension and pay rent and still can come to Thailand Twice a year 

The OP is an American, in order to retire in Oz he'll need much more than 5 mil baht.

• Like 1

Better to keep working in the US to enhance your SS at FRA. No reason to move to Thailand. Life is far better in the US if you can afford it and you can by continuing to work for another few years. I have a friend who lives a VERY comfortable lifestyle on $2,300/mo US. It can easily be done and you have far better healthcare too. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

How much interest is there on a saving account with 800k?

Visa agents take 30k first year right? And then 15k +- 

to convert from visa exempt/tourist visa apx 20,000
1 year extension 16-17,000

savings on my scb  about .75%  LOL

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, proton said:

Outdated understanding of Pattaya? so you claim it's not a mass sex tourist destination, has poor beaches, terrible traffic and few facilities like parks, museums and art galleries etc? It's the worst place to retire, unless you are interested in female or male prostitutes, IMO. 

Jomtien is a good place, and the cheapest place in Thailand with a western community, same as Hua Hin. He said he loved beaches, but still did not read he intend to swim. 

If beaches to swim is important, then I would look at Krabi or Trang.

Anyway, live a few years and move around, unless a good quality Isaarn lady capture his hearth, and take him NE, assuring him sex no matter, or maybe he wake up while in Thailand

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, proton said:

Outdated understanding of Pattaya? so you claim it's not a mass sex tourist destination, has poor beaches, terrible traffic and few facilities like parks, museums and art galleries etc? It's the worst place to retire, unless you are interested in female or male prostitutes, IMO. 

Incorrect.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, proton said:

Last time I went in 1994 Jomtien was known as the gay beach, has that changed? not that there is anything wrong with it

Still a gay beach between the police boot and the Pattaya Tower. Me and my friend didnt know before we sat down and got a couple of beers, and start looking around. We thought we where men enough to still enjoy the view of a few females around, but have to admit, it was heavy disturbing scenes with one old man making out with a young man in the water, so we packed up and left. This was back in 2005 I think. Not been back to that beach since, and if swimming, go to Koh Lan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, ChintaHuma said:

In emergency I will go to USA.
Option 2. India is cheap for medi ... 

If the emergency involves your brains hanging out, major trauma like a shattered spine or things like strokes you won't be traveling anywhere ...

Just saying ...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes the International food situation in Pattaya is excellent.

On health insurance Colombia is much better. No issues with pre-existing conditions. All expats required to join. Low cost high quality their system has a high WHO rating.

Pattaya's fine if you know your way around and also know too mutt.

• Haha 1

Just now, BusyB said:

If the emergency involves your brains hanging out, major trauma like a shattered spine or things like strokes you won't be traveling anywhere ...

Just saying ...

Exactly.

Realistically you need local options.

An exception for Americans might be Baja California near San Diego.

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Still a gay beach between the police boot and the Pattaya Tower. Me and my friend didnt know before we sat down and got a couple of beers, and start looking around. We thought we where men enough to still enjoy the view of a few females around, but have to admit, it was heavy disturbing scenes with one old man making out with a young man in the water, so we packed up and left. This was back in 2005 I think. Not been back to that beach since, and if swimming, go to Koh Lan.

I hope you're over the trauma. Bless your heart.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Jomtien beach is huge. It runs for many miles. It is hardly an exclusively gay area. 

A few years ago before covid, we used to attend to a live music restaurant in that soi past the police boot/station, and I am sure that side have a guy community where hotels, massages and that part of the  beach still is a guy area. 

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I hope you're over the trauma. Bless your heart.

Im sure I had reacted the same if there was an older man gropping a young girl, and it was the nature of the beach we attended, so not only a anti gay thing. Same I do not feel comfortable in a gogo where the same hapens. We are all different with our cup of tea

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

A few years ago before covid, we used to attend to a live music restaurant in that soi past the police boot/station, and I am sure that side have a guy community where hotels, massages and that part of the  beach still is a guy area. 

What percentage of the area of Jomtien  beach that runs many miles do you reckon is gay oriented.

Answer. 

Less than one percent.

Labeling Jomtien overall as gay is totally stupid and totally wrong.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Im sure I had reacted the same if there was an older man gropping a young girl, and it was the nature of the beach we attended, so not only a anti gay thing. Same I do not feel comfortable in a gogo where the same hapens. We are all different with our cup of tea

Uh huh.