What It Looks Like When the Far Right Takes Control of Local Government

Scott

Top left: cross with Presidential Pin. Bottom: Bergman walking in the snow. Top Right: Ottawa County sign.

WEST OLIVE, Mich. — The agenda for the Ottawa County governing board’s most recent meeting here last week listed, among other issues, a roof repair and resurfacing contract, a budget calendar that needed setting and, from IT, a request to hire one more employee.

They were terrestrial concerns. But over the course of a meeting that ran more than four hours, public speaker after speaker in three-minute increments were debating something else entirely, something far more spiritual — to what extent their government should, or should not, pursue Judeo-Christian values.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/02/21/michigan-christian-nationalists-00083251

Goli Sheikholeslami Appointed CEO of POLITICO Media Group ...

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

and what is wrong with "Judeo- Christian values? Don't murder people, forgiveness, treat others as you wish to be treated etc seem worthy to me.

What is wrong is that they shouldn't supplant other values. Christian nationalists are well accustomed to murder.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Scott said:

The agenda for the Ottawa County governing board’s most recent meeting here last week listed, among other issues, a roof repair and resurfacing contract, a budget calendar that needed setting and, from IT, a request to hire one more employee.

Well you simply cannot get more "far right" than this.  Has anyone reported them to the FBI yet?   

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, SatEng said:

A bit of education for you

Societies had laws against murder, theft and lying long before Moses :discovered" these on a mountain.

But why are there no commandments against rape, slavery and torture, it is because the bible, as written by people with 3000 years old values, actually condones and encourages this.

Read the extremely nasty text of how enemies are treated in deuteronomy, or samuel, or especially that of Hosea - which advocates child killing including of unborn children.

"Samaria shall bear her guilt, because she has rebelled against her God; they shall fall by the sword; their little ones shall be dashed in pieces, and their pregnant women ripped open."

Are these the sort of Judeo-christian values you want to encourage?

All that is in the old testament which I discount. Actually I don't know why anyone says Judeo- Christian, as I'd prefer just Christian ( and don't get started on religion- stick to what the Christ is reported to have said ), but I was responding to the post that included Judeo- Christian in it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, James105 said:

Well you simply cannot get more "far right" than this.  Has anyone reported them to the FBI yet?   

It's a state issue.

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

All that is in the old testament which I discount. Actually I don't know why anyone says Judeo- Christian, as I'd prefer just Christian ( and don't get started on religion- stick to what the Christ is reported to have said ), but I was responding to the post that included Judeo- Christian in it.

How about keep religion right away from government? No state assistance at all. That's what a secular society should be.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Pick and choose whichever bit of the bible you want to try to make excuses but the new testament also condones slavery amongst other nastiness

Epistle of Paul to the Colossians 3-22: Slaves, obey in everything those who are your earthly masters and in whatever your task, work heartily.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SatEng said:

Pick and choose whichever bit of the bible you want to try to make excuses but the new testament also condones slavery amongst other nastiness

Epistle of Paul to the Colossians 3-22: Slaves, obey in everything those who are your earthly masters and in whatever your task, work heartily.

It's not the bible or the koran we need to worry about. It's modern religions.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SatEng said:

Errr, slavery was the norm back then and pretty much every country did it.

BTW, Paul IMO had as much to do with the teachings of Christ as Santa, but this is getting to be off topic so 'nuff said about it.

You can discuss on the Do you believe in God thread if you want to.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

It would appear that anything short of skipping down the road in gender neutral rainbow attire, sporting pink dreadlocks and screaming "Racist" at random passers by is deemed "far right" now ????.

Many places are governed at least partially according to religious beliefs/values. Try getting a beer in a Gogo bar on Makha Bucha day in Thailand, for example. Or listen to Prayut spouting off about Buddhist precepts.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, JonnyF said:

It would appear that anything short of skipping down the road in gender neutral rainbow attire, sporting pink dreadlocks and screaming "Racist" at random passers by is deemed "far right" now ????.

Many places are governed at least partially according to religious beliefs/values. Try getting a beer in a Gogo bar on Makha Bucha day in Thailand, for example. Or listen to Prayut spouting off about Buddhist precepts.

Hatred against minorities is a far right thing. People who aren't LGBTQ should have nothing to say about those who are. Just like men should have nothing to say about abortion.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

Hatred against minorities is a far right thing. People who aren't LGBTQ should have nothing to say about those who are. Just like men should have nothing to say about abortion.

I agree 100% about abortion, but when the LG whatever crowd stop shouting at the rest of us is when I'll stop having something to say about it.

You don't get to have a "Gay pride parade" and tell me not to say anything at the same time.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I agree 100% about abortion, but when the LG whatever crowd stop shouting at the rest of us is when I'll stop having something to say about it.

You don't get to have a "Gay pride parade" and tell me not to say anything at the same time.

They aren't shouting at you. They are shouting about their right to be left alone. Do you deny that the right are running interference in their lives bigly?

They have as much right to a gay parade as anybody has to any parade. You have no right to be offended by their activities in the street.

The gay mardi gras in Sydney is huge event. Not just with gays. Everybody is welcome and many straight people go.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. It was a rhetorical statement.

I doubt you can tell me much about that subject that I'm not aware of.

It seems you do need educating about the subject as you don't seem to have a critical understanding of what religious beliefs are and the harm that they have done to many people in history, and would continue to inflict harm of allowed to be in charge of government at national or local levels.

Just wait to see what bigotry this "local" government will try to put forward - as has been seen in the past with many similar instances

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

There isn’t a ‘Gay Parade’ in this news.

It’s the rightwing legislating the medical options available to minors experiencing gender dysmorphia.

Taking time out to target legislation against a very small proportion of their population.

Hate mongering in action.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

So in your view it is OK for anti-LGBT ranting to be shouted from pulpits, but the other side should "shut up" - that is bigotry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SatEng said:

So in your view it is OK for anti-LGBT ranting to be shouted from pulpits, but the other side should "shut up" - that is bigotry

I wasn't aware of any anti LGBT parades. Do tell me about them.

It's also against the law to attack LGBT people in many countries- how much more do they want?

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Sad 1