Should I be cocerned with writing on entry stamp?

I just returned from Vientiane Laos and am a bit confused by my entry stamp.

I received a new Non-O based on Retirement while in Vientiane. I did not have a re-entry permit so assumed that it would kill off my 3 year old O-A but the immigration officer wrote O A under the visa-class on the entry stamp. I have attached a picture of stamp.

The immigration officer initially gave me a 1 year time frame on my stay. I said I thought I would only receive 90 days.  He then took my passport back and changed it to 90 days.

At some point he drew a line through my new visa and wrote something on it but not sure if it is Thai or English.  I did not notice the line through the visa or the O A until I was at the airport in Udon Thani.

Should I be concerned about the O A on the entry stamp?

IMG_20230222_102644579.jpg

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The visa "sticker" lower part of your picture is a non O single entry.

You do not have any concerns and your permission of stay date changed according.

Thanks Dr Jack54. I just don't want them asking about insurance when I extend at the end of April.

Was I correct in asking about the 1 year entry? I really liked the idea of getting one year but thought it might cause problem in the future.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, biervoormij said:

At some point he drew a line through my new visa and wrote something on it but not sure if it is Thai or English. 

They would normally mark a single entry visa as being used.  Usually with a stamp but may have just written on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I just did my extension yesterday and thought I would give an update.

The immigration officer in Nong Khai writing the O-A did cause a bit of an issue. Jomtien asked for proof of insurance yesterday and I told them I had an Non-Imm O so should not need insurance. They pointed at the O-A that the border agent had written and I pointed at the visa and said it is an O.

My passport got passed around to 3 or 4 different people and the last one seemed to do something on the computer. After about 5 or 10 minutes the officer came back and said I fixed it and had marked a line through the O-A and above it written NON-O. It was a painless experience but gave me a little bit of a scare.

I was really surprised how quick the whole extension process was. I got to the bank to get my letter and bank book updated just after 8:30 went to the copy shop and on to Jomtien Immigration. I got a number at the retirement desk outside and went in through the out door and exchanged the outside number for a number for desk 8. I was busy signing all my copies until my number was called. I left immigration at 10 AM.

When I got a certificate of residence back in October it took me 2 hours just to get in the door so was expecting the worst.

Forgot to put in I got the letter that I need to show bankbook update in 3 months.  Since I believe I will need to do my 90 day report at the same time will go also update the bankbook.

Edited by biervoormij
forgot about the 90 day bankbook update