Qatar Doha Airport Transfer

Negita43

Not sure if this is the place for this Question but here goes.

Shortly will be making a transfer here never transited here before and I wonder if anyone can tell me if there is a good duty free area accessible from the transfer area at this airport.

Additional question:

The reason I want to know is that I need to buy some rolling tobacco (amber leaf - not for me I'm a non smoker - which is why I am ignorant about these things) and I know I could buy it at BKK airport BUT then it would be in my hand luggage and I'm not sure if that might transgress some Qatar customs rules and would get picked up by security which I am sure I will have to go through.

Of course the best solution is to buy it in Bangkok so it could go in checked luggage - anyone know if that's possible and where?

Thanks

Doha airport is big and has plenty of DF options.

If you're transferring on the same booking (ie your bags are tagged to your final destination) then you wont be going through either immigration or customs in Doha. You might go through another security check, but they are not looking for tobacco.

Edited by Woof999
  • Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Woof999 said:

Doha airport is big and has plenty of DF options.

If you're transferring on the same booking (ie your bags are tagged to your final destination) then you wont be going through either immigration or customs in Doha.

As above…

Plenty of Duty Free shops… 

Better than most airports.

But…. It’s difficult to know if the Doha Duty Free shops have exactly what you require. 

5 hours ago, jimn said:

Doha is a great airport but very upmarket and very very expensive

It's horrible. when inside the departure lounge there are no toilets and getting out again when checked in at the desk, seems to involve endless key tapping and they don't like it, have to be checked in again coming back in. Waited 35 mins on the boarding bridge in a sweaty crowd waiting for them to open the doors, cleaning probably, this was Qatar. Will go direct next time and avoid this place. I noticed how ridiculous the security is, foreigners having to remove masks to check passports, arab woman straight through, even worse not even having passports looked at all as held by the men they are with.

9 hours ago, Negita43 said:

Yes that's what friends are for - he watches my flat whilst I'm over here

What is your final destination, most, if not, all destination countries have strict limits on how much tobacco you can bring into the country tax free.

You will be aware that the tax free allowance is for personal use, not as gifts for friends who are helping out, it's not uncommon for customs officials to carry out checks, non smokers are likely to carry smoking implements with them.
Whilst the chances of being caught are probably remote, it can happen, though might be lucky and just get a warning and have the tobacco seized.