Bangkok To Chiang Mai By Bus

CaptainSplod

Have never tried the trip, so I'm looking for good advice from people who have.

Which bus company to use :D (or avoid! :D ) and where do they have a ticket office in Morchit.

We're planning to make an overnight trip and arrive about 8-9am - good or bad idea?

Lastly, how long does the trip roughly take, where does the bus stop in Chiang Mai and

will we need to take transport from the bus station into the moat area? :o

Appreciate any advice - thanks, guys. :D

I just posted something about this on another thread.

here it is again.

"I hate flying, especially short distances where you end up spending ages waiting around in airports not traveling anywhere. If your ever thinking of flying from BKK to CM I would seriously consider taking a V.I.P bus instead which I almost found enjoyable!

The seats are massive and you have loads of space, they also recline enough so you can sleep easily. The food on the bus is not as good though so make sure you stock up before you leave the bus terminal. Half way you stop and get off the bus for a stretch and some great Thai food which comes included in the ticket. The Long routes are nearly all overnight so you can have a good sleep and not miss any holiday time."

As for what company, The govenment buses are generally the best, I like to go on the V.I.P bus which is 24 seats.

If you go to where all the ticket offices are at Mor Chit the government ones are the ones with blue writing on a white background (I think) so look for the desk which deals with the 24 seat V.I.P buses (you can tell from the signs above each desk).

The price will be about 850baht, When you choose your seats choose the back row as you have lots of leg room and can recline more. The trip will take about 8 hours in total with a 15min break in the middle.

The bus stops at Arcade bus station in CM which is next to the ring road. You will need to take a red pickup or taxi which will great you as you get off the bus. They generally ask for 100 baht but you may be able to bargain or split the price if you take a pickup with lots of people.

One more thing, avoid Khao San Road bus companies at all cost.

Jake

Wow! That's what I call a quick reply! Thanks! Good info and I'll certainly make use of it! Yeah, got the same thing about flying. It's not the actual "up in the air thing", but all the waiting, eternal delays and the boredom of airports in general. At least by bus you can look out of the window and always see something going on!

Cheers

Oh and you should book 2 or 3 days before you leave to make sure you get a ticket.

The plane doesnt end up being that much quicker in the end and normally means you loose a days holiday or have to wake up at a stupid time.

Jake

And how would you compare the merits of the overnight train vs. the vip bus?

I think the same 850 baht would buy you a couchette in the 2nd class air conditioned coach. And there you draw the curtain and sleep fully stretched - and in privacy

I would still say that the bus is better, I dont think the bunks are long enough, especially if you have to take a upper one. The train also takes a few hours longer than the bus. Some people also complain that the trains can be a little old or dirty on some routes.

Jake

And how would you compare the merits of the overnight train vs. the vip bus?

I think the same 850 baht would buy you a couchette in the 2nd class air conditioned coach. And there you draw the curtain and sleep fully stretched - and in privacy

It is a matter of opinion.

I am 5 ft. 11 and fat, but I MUCH prefer sleeping on the train if I can get a lower bunk.

The best bus lines for that route, in my recent experience, are companies numbered 99 and 999. I think it takes more like ten hours between terminals. The train is an option, but probably takes longer. It almost matters whether you're closer to the train stations in Bangkok, or closer to Mochit. At Suanaphum last month, I decided flying was faster, and it was (considering I was already at the airport). If you're not as fat as myself and a certain bookstore owner, the first class bus seats aren't too bad. Do not expect the air/con to work well on either the train or the best bus; they can be hot.

Have done the trip lots of times. I would advise against it unless you are in a rush. The train is much better.

There are ticket stands all over Morchit, really, you can't miss them. Just say, "Chiang Mai" and somone will help you. Generally the less seats the better. More leg room. In my own experience the higher price and less seats is the better bus. Cheap seats=400baht min. Exp=700

For the same price you can get the train.

YTou could als0o get a bus from Kao San Road for about 200 baht but they are terrible and might try and encourage you to buy a trek or some such nonsense.

Buses leave Morchit all evening from about 6-11.

They drive ectremely fast.

Have never tried the trip, so I'm looking for good advice from people who have.

Which bus company to use :D (or avoid! :D ) and where do they have a ticket office in Morchit.

We're planning to make an overnight trip and arrive about 8-9am - good or bad idea?

Lastly, how long does the trip roughly take, where does the bus stop in Chiang Mai and

will we need to take transport from the bus station into the moat area? :o

Appreciate any advice - thanks, guys. :D

If this is a holiday trip and an couple hours here and there is of no consideration then TAKE THE TRAIN. Take the 19:30 departure, this means you get to the North (and the nice scenery) after dawn so you wake up to nice views. Aircon lower berth is best for a variety of reasons.

If on the other hand you need to get there before x.00am in the morning, then go by bus.

When I still did buses I always went with Sombat Co. from the main Mo Chit bus station. Another very good one is Nakhon Chai Air (www.nca.co.th) Indeed the 'Transport Co' '999' bus are also good, though honestly if it's gonna cost 850 baht then I'll add 350 baht and fly on www.airasia.com (when booked in advance)

Book in advance? Not possible, as we're coming to Morchit from the sticks and got no idea what time we'll arrive, though it'll be on a Monday and in the early(?) evening. :D - as far as I know. Don't want to go by train or plane - thanks all the same. Thanks for the info, websites, etc. :D

Do they serve any food and water on the bus? :o

Book in advance? Not possible, as we're coming to Morchit from the sticks and got no idea what time we'll arrive, though it'll be on a Monday and in the early(?) evening.

Perfect. For the bus honestly there's no need to book ahead and especially not on a typical Monday evening. From where you arrive at Mo Chit, follow the crowd past the toilets to the departure building, then the booths for Chiang Mai are actually on the outside wall. Again, Sombat or Nakhon Chai Air is just fine.

Do they serve any food and water on the bus?

Best to buy some water & snacks at the 7-eleven at the terminal. There's a reasonable food-center as well. Then the bus will stop in the Middle of Nowhere at a horrible bus-stop late night rice soup restaurant, where they serve horrible watery rice soup with some greasy Phak Bung and the semi-sweet Chinese sausage and salty preserved egg. (Included in the price)

Edited by chanchao

Then the bus will stop in the Middle of Nowhere at a horrible bus-stop late night rice soup restaurant, where they serve horrible watery rice soup with some greasy Phak Bung and the semi-sweet Chinese sausage and salty preserved egg. (Included in the price)

I am usually quite grateful for that free snack in the middle of the night. Just enough food to stop hunger enough to sleep the rest of the night. :o

Other things being equal - or not too unequal - my preferenc e would always be the train. In this case virtually no good reason has been offered for choosing the night bus over the night train - price, comfort, convenience, catering, anything. And of course there are two factors that automatically favour the train - it allows movement inside and is safer. I've never taken the trip by bus; I have by train; and it looks like I'll continue with that.

Other things being equal - or not too unequal - my preference would always be the train. In this case virtually no good reason has been offered for choosing the night bus over the night train - price, comfort, convenience, catering, anything. And of course there are two factors that automatically favour the train - it allows movement inside and is safer. I've never taken the trip by bus; I have by train; and it looks like I'll continue with that.

The only reason is if you need to be at your destination at a specific (early) time. With the train you end up at your destination anywhere between 9am and 11am. It's entirely possible that you want to be at your destination very early, for example to catch a connection, be there for work or a meeting, etc.

In my case when going to Bangkok and continuing to Ko Samet for example, then the bus is preferable because if you want you can get to Mo Chit at like 4:30am for one of the first buses to Rayong. Then you'd be on the ferry to Samet before 8am, with the whole day ahead of you. By train, it'd be after-noon-ish when you get there.

Other things being equal - or not too unequal - my preference would always be the train. In this case virtually no good reason has been offered for choosing the night bus over the night train - price, comfort, convenience, catering, anything. And of course there are two factors that automatically favour the train - it allows movement inside and is safer. I've never taken the trip by bus; I have by train; and it looks like I'll continue with that.

The only reason is if you need to be at your destination at a specific (early) time. With the train you end up at your destination anywhere between 9am and 11am. It's entirely possible that you want to be at your destination very early, for example to catch a connection, be there for work or a meeting, etc.

In my case when going to Bangkok and continuing to Ko Samet for example, then the bus is preferable because if you want you can get to Mo Chit at like 4:30am for one of the first buses to Rayong. Then you'd be on the ferry to Samet before 8am, with the whole day ahead of you. By train, it'd be after-noon-ish when you get there.

OK, fair enough. I have taken it returning to Chiang Mai, and home.

And of course there are two factors that automatically favour the train - it allows movement inside and is safer.

A fair number have fallen off into rivers the last few years. :o

Even if your answer was serious, the busses would still be vastly less safe. I did say the trains were safer, not a 100% safe - is anyhing?

Book in advance? Not possible, as we're coming to Morchit from the sticks and got no idea what time we'll arrive, though it'll be on a Monday and in the early(?) evening.

Perfect. For the bus honestly there's no need to book ahead and especially not on a typical Monday evening. From where you arrive at Mo Chit, follow the crowd past the toilets to the departure building, then the booths for Chiang Mai are actually on the outside wall. Again, Sombat or Nakhon Chai Air is just fine.

Do they serve any food and water on the bus?

Best to buy some water & snacks at the 7-eleven at the terminal. There's a reasonable food-center as well. Then the bus will stop in the Middle of Nowhere at a horrible bus-stop late night rice soup restaurant, where they serve horrible watery rice soup with some greasy Phak Bung and the semi-sweet Chinese sausage and salty preserved egg. (Included in the price)

I did this trip last October. My advice, don't eat the food offered on the bus. I did and got sick. I don't think that the food was kept cold. No place on the bus to properly wash your hands. The bathroom was adequate for urination only. The bus that I took was booked at the Nana Hotel Travel agency located in the Nana Hotel. The fare included a lunch. When we stopped for lunch they had some already prepared food at a Resteraunt. I could not find anything that looked apetizing. So I eate nothing there. The Bus was very old. The air conditioning did not work very well. It took a long time to get to the destination. I knew it would in advance. I was wanting to see more of the countryside. I would take the bus again for the same reason, but not that bus! When we stopped at some Bus Station to onload more passengers, I saw many other buses heading in the same direction, but in better condition. I was exhausted by the time I arrived at Chang Mai. On the return trip I flew back to Bangkok and took another bus onto Pattaya. It was not expensive to fly.

OK, fair enough. I have taken it returning to Chiang Mai, and home.

And of course there are two factors that automatically favour the train - it allows movement inside and is safer.

Even if your answer was serious, the busses would still be vastly less safe. I did say the trains were safer, not a 100% safe - is anyhing?

I understand that you can take an over night train to Chang Mai from the Train station in Bangkok. It has sleeper cars.

Edited by philliphn

My answer was serious.

I used to think that the train was very safe, until they started falling into rivers! :D

Depends on how paranoid you are.

I am afraid to fly, I am afraid to take the bus in Thailand and now I am afraid to take the train during rainy season (but I do it anyway). :o

UG Dude,

Here's your new mode of transport:

post-23786-1183828293_thumb.jpg

Bring a good book (or 10) to read.... :D

McG

McG, how come you always got a picture for everything ? You belong to one of those stock photo groups or what ? Or are you the google images champion ?

And.... I"m sure someone drove a buffalo cart into the river once too. Could definitely happen on the Express Buffalo Cart to BKK during the night. I bet express buffalo to BKK might run you about 50 baht, and just as many days.