Expats From Switzerland

mrwebb8825

Was wondering if any of you know or know someone who might know about old stickpin jewelry for men that is supposed to be from Switzerland.

My mom has these pins but we haven't been able to track down any definitive information about them beyond the hand written note in the box from her dead mother.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated. I have attached pics of the pins, the box and both sides of the note in hopes it may help. :wai:

20230226_073853.jpg

20230226_073936.jpg

20230226_074048.jpg

20230226_074108.jpg

Stickpin jewellery is not unique to Switzerland as can been by a basic Google search for that term.

"Stick pins were particularly popular from about 1880 to 1920. They were worn by both men and women. Usually on a jacket lapel but also on a necktie to hold in in place. A stick pin is by definition under four inches long but most I've encountered are between 2" and 2 1/2" long."

source

It also appears "Anson" is in fact American.

"Since 1938, Anson has been designing and manufacturing premium silver and gold men's accessories in Providence, Rhode Island. As the former fashion jewelry making capital of the world, Providence is the perfect home from which to lead the revival of made in the USA men's accessories. "

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Stickpin jewellery is not unique to Switzerland as can been by a basic Google search for that term.

Yes sir, I understand that stickpins in general are not unique to Switzerland but the note indicates hat these are. The gentleman referenced in the note (John Conrad Herter) was my grandfather and he was a 32nd degree mason at the time of his death in 1972.

It's not certain that his father, who died in 1944, or his grandfather (the original owner?) were the first to immigrate to America so the pins in question almost certainly originated in Switzerland.

As for the box, it may very well not be the original box as my mother has 'jumbled' things around since her mother's death in 1998. Asking her now is hit and miss as she's 83 and "sliding" which is why I'm currently in the states and came across these items. (caretaker) :wai:

Update: I checked with my mom and my grandfather was the 1st generation born in America. His father immigrated from Switzerland to Ellis Island so his father (the original owner never set foot in America) so the box may have been from a different jewelry purchase unless they did business internationally.

• 3 weeks later...