Using a Thai SIM outside the country

Hi, i'm looking to open a foreign currency account with Bangkok Bank but if i want to use my online account and i'm outside the country i need to authenticate my login details via local SIM card. 

My question is, will a local SIM work for this outside the country? How long is a SIM card valid outside the country? I don't think there's anyway to top it up?

Thanks

6 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

My question is, will a local SIM work for this outside the country?

Yes, ensure you activate roaming in Thailand.

7 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

How long is a SIM card valid outside the country?

Up to 12 months depending on what you have done (e.g. if AIS you get another 30 days validity every top up to a maximum of 12 months).

8 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

I don't think there's anyway to top it up?

There's numerous ways e.g. using existing balance, take some vouchers/get a friend to top up and 3rd party organisations such as Ding.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Fugitive said:

Great advice. I do the same. Remember to turn off mobile data otherwise you will waste your credit. Additional top up method is from your mobile 'phone 'account', minimum amount 10 baht for AIS.

Thanks for this. I'm not much of a techy, how do you do it 'from your mobile account'? and which company do you use?

Cheers

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

how do you do it 'from your mobile account'?

That would be the following I believe:

31 minutes ago, Salerno said:

using existing balance

If you have a couple of hundred Baht credit you can use the credit to extend validity using a USSD code or via the app.

See about half way down here for USSD codes  https://help.mobiletopup.com/knowledge-base/how-do-i-extend-the-expiry-date-validity-of-my-sim/.

Edited by Salerno
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

Thanks for this. I'm not much of a techy, how do you do it 'from your mobile account'? and which company do you use?

Cheers

I have True Tourist pre-paid SIM, True post-paid (came with fibre internet package), AIS (came with a secondhand 'phone) and my Mrs has DTAC. All have easy to set up and use 'accounts'. You key in your 'phone number and they send an OTP (one time passcode) to that number. Alternatively, you can use your email address and set up a password. You can view your balance and, most importantly, the expiry (inactive) date of your number. This is usually one month from each top-up. For True it's only 3 baht to extend for another month if you didn't want to top-up. You can do this several times so you don't have to worry about it each month. Use any debit/credit card to top-up. You can message the 'phone company through your account (in English) if need be.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

I have a True SIM pay-as-you-go deal. I checked the expiry date and it's 12/04/2566. I've worked out 2566 is 2023 but i'm assuming 12/04 is 12th of April?

Yes, you are correct, Thailand uses UK numerical dates, not US. Just checked my True 'account' mine says; Valid until 29 Mar 2023 (28 days) so no possibility of confusion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Fugitive said:

Yes, you are correct, Thailand uses UK numerical dates, not US. Just checked my True 'account' mine says; Valid until 29 Mar 2023 (28 days) so no possibility of confusion.

Cheers, i thought so. That means mine is valid for 3 months 

Some great help here, i appreciate it! ????

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

Cheers, i thought so. That means mine is valid for 3 months 

Some great help here, i appreciate it! ????

No problem Bill. In case you've not got there yet, this is where you need to go for True pre-pay; https://iservice.true.th/?_gl=1*qcgyk5*_ga*Nzc0OTQxODI3LjE2Nzc2NDU3ODQ.*_ga_KB786LL39X*MTY3NzY0NTc4NC4xLjEuMTY3NzY0NTc5Mi41Mi4wLjA.

• Like 1

DTAC has a VOIP app. No need for roaming, just go into the app settings and flip a slider from “SIM” to “app” and it’s basically just like being in Thailand. SMS messages and incoming calls are delivered to the app and the app lets you send SMS abba make calls. 

I’ve used this while outside Thailand, with Bangkok Bank and other services that send codes via SMS and it works well. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, tai4de2 said:

DTAC has a VOIP app. No need for roaming, just go into the app settings and flip a slider from “SIM” to “app” and it’s basically just like being in Thailand. SMS messages and incoming calls are delivered to the app and the app lets you send SMS abba make calls. 

I’ve used this while outside Thailand, with Bangkok Bank and other services that send codes via SMS and it works well. 

Good tip, thanks. With Bangkok Bank you can deactivate SMS OTP's if you wish;

How can I hold or block the SMS Authentication Service?
    1) Log on to Bualuang iBanking. Go to "My Settings" menu           and click the "Deactivate SMS OTP Service" sub-menu.

Edited by The Fugitive

21 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

DTAC prepaid SIM card with roaming activated for UK

So you will NOT be able to get SMS abroad if you have not activated roaming abroad prior to leaving Thailand?  And are SMS received abroad then free of charge to receive, please?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, K2938 said:

So you will NOT be able to get SMS abroad if you have not activated roaming abroad prior to leaving Thailand?  And are SMS received abroad then free of charge to receive, please?

The True customer advice centre advised me that 'international roaming' needs to be activated. They did this for me whilst I was still connected to their chat. SMS is definitely free to receive!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yes. I use AIS and top up via their app on my phone.  Works well.

* Don't use a tourist SIM, it will expire.  Get one from the AIS store in the mall...

I still get SMS without paying for roaming package.

Screenshot_20230302_075326.jpg.5bcdd923f40d457ae388bb4fc08407c0.jpg

Edited by SportRider
additional info

On 3/1/2023 at 10:25 AM, soi3eddie said:

You can then use the SIM to receive OTP SMS from your bank which is what I did with Kbank when I needed to pay condo bills etc.

Are you sure you needed to receive OTP SMS to pay bills? Never happened with me.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Robbkk said:

Are you sure you needed to receive OTP SMS to pay bills? Never happened with me.

Yes, with Kbank on their website SMS OTP is required for payments of bills or to other parties. Between own accounts then no OTP needed (I have 2 Kbank accounts). Using their phone app an SMS OTP is not required to pay bills or other people.

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Robbkk said:

and replaced my Thai SIM card with an Indonesian SIM on my phone. Never a problem.

Most Thai bought 'phones are dual SIM. It's no hardship to keep your Thai SIM in one slot, thus ensuring it's always with you. Recently, a contributor was in the nightmare situation of being outside Thailand and needing to change his mobile number with his Thai bank. Unfortunately, you can only do this in person, at your bank in Thailand! 

Been doing this for many years with no problem. 

AIS is an e-SIM and work working abroad SIM is in my phone. 

Top up my Thai AIS number with my Kasikorn with data roaming turned off. Can receive OTP like this too. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/1/2023 at 12:28 AM, Salerno said:

You dont need to activate it in Thailand. You can activate it anytime while your abroad, but you dont need data roaming for OTP. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, misterphil said:

No they dont. Been away at work for 4 months and mines still working. 

Depends on pre/post paid, type of SIM, level of credit and most importantly the validity.

What I presume he meant was that 20 baht would extend its life for a further month if you had less than 12 months validity. That's generally how pre paid works - at least for AIS. 

However if I want to top up via SCB online banking the minimum top up is 50 baht which AFAIK will still only give you one month.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Robbkk said:

The catch is that the app was installed while I was in Thailand with access to a local ATM and SIM.

I didn't have to go to an ATM to get the app up and running. I was sent an OTP to my AIS number. That number is registered with BB, something you have to do in person armed with passbook and passport at a BB branch. 

I have 2 pay as you go AIS sim cards and they both work in Europe for OTPs sent by SMS without needing to buy a roaming package. Of course without a roaming package calls, data and sending SMS eat credit in no time but it seems incoming SMS are free. Even beyond the validity date I've been able to top up and restore service so I'm not sure for how long AIS leave it before they fatally disconnect the number and reallocate it. The older one is over 10 years old with frequent absences of several months from Thailand, the longest 17 months during Covid. 

On 3/1/2023 at 3:28 AM, Salerno said:

Up to 12 months depending on what you have done (e.g. if AIS you get another 30 days validity every top up to a maximum of 12 months).

There's numerous ways e.g. using existing balance, take some vouchers/get a friend to top up and 3rd party organisations such as Ding.

Agree with all the above - I use my AIS prepaid SIM in UK and also use Ding to top up 

8 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:
19 hours ago, Robbkk said:

The catch is that the app was installed while I was in Thailand with access to a local ATM and SIM.

I didn't have to go to an ATM to get the app up and running

Are you sure? I bought a new phone last month and had to get a passcode from the Bangkok Bank ATM to activate the app. OTP was also required. 

KBank doesnt require the passcode from the ATM but Bangkok Bank does.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Recently, a contributor was in the nightmare situation of being outside Thailand and needing to change his mobile number with his Thai bank. Unfortunately, you can only do this in person, at your bank in Thailand! 

Missed that. Instead of changing the phone number with the Thai bank he could have contacted the phone company to keep the old number on the new sim card. 

• Like 1