Sugguestions - electric small city 4 door car.

52 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

130,000 for a different battery seems a lot. 

My guess (just guess) is that battery technology will continue to improve and costs will come a bit because of competition, over the next several years, and charging options will expand, and these items will expand into area/systems not yet known.

I saw one advertisemnt (forget where), EV car had a separate box ready to drop in a new bought or hired battery, available from multiple tpes of shops, to provide 2 hrs extra driving or something similar at reasonable cost. If hired can be returned at many locations for return of deposit. ALso mentione buying a 'spare' small battery to be lefy in the smaller storage with a long life, if needed in some emergency situation.

Seems to me more and more such things with mutiple options will be designed and be on the market from multiple types of shops/facilities etc., into the future. 

Just one of course, and already available, is solar panels under the roof of the car. 

10 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Yes, fits our lifestyle perfectly, and the savings is a huge plus.  I expect the wife to get 10-15, if not longer years out of the EV, in which case, most people replace their cars anyway.   Doubt if she'd need to replace the battery, as I'm the O&A motivator.   Petrol savings alone would pay for any new car down the line.   

My calculations, about 500k saved on just petrol over the battery warranty period.   Should get double that, keeping for another 8 yrs, so 1 mill alone saved just on petrol, at today's prices.  Pays for any new car down the line.

And the EV battery will probably be able to be used at the house with the solar.  Surely the future savvy techies will have a quick adaptor for hooking up old battery banks to home solar system, or a market for used battery banks.  If between 50-80% capacity after 15 ish yrs, that's still about 25kWh or more of battery bank, and more than we have now at the house.

If you can't charge at home, or work on the road every day and driving some distances, then EVs probably aren't for you.  Or don't mind driving 3+ hours without a break at 100+  kph to get to where ever as fast as possible, then present EVs aren't for you.   Ranges of 600-1000 kms now available, though pricey, should solve that for most people.  Would avoid any weekend Q'ing at CS for the impatient people who don't book in advance ????

One issue for ICE owners in the future, not TH, but many metros will start banning ICEs in downtown areas, which has already started.

I think your  overly optimistic with your 18 year lifespan each year your insurance company will reduce the capital value of your EV if during those 18 years there is an incident that requires the battery to be replace insurance company will look at the replacement cost of the battery including removing old one and installation of new one and if it exceeds 70% of the current market value of your EV they will simply write your EV off 

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

That Neta S looks a beast !! and 1100 km range !.

F3D98076-5A83-4375-921A-621F411F2722.thumb.jpeg.43e3514424e10e45812ec50fb33dfaaa.jpeg

Curious about the Moose Test though ?

It's an evasive manoeuvre designed to test how a car reacts to something suddenly appearing on the road in front. Should be called a Buffalo Test in Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

My guess (just guess) is that battery technology will continue to improve and costs will come a bit because of competition, over the next several years, and charging options will expand, and these items will expand into area/systems not yet known.

I saw one advertisemnt (forget where), EV car had a separate box ready to drop in a new bought or hired battery, available from multiple tpes of shops, to provide 2 hrs extra driving or something similar at reasonable cost. If hired can be returned at many locations for return of deposit. ALso mentione buying a 'spare' small battery to be lefy in the smaller storage with a long life, if needed in some emergency situation.

Seems to me more and more such things with mutiple options will be designed and be on the market from multiple types of shops/facilities etc., into the future. 

Just one of course, and already available, is solar panels under the roof of the car. 

How much though is a battery for a EV and how long does it last never mind how you charge it. 

35 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

I think your  overly optimistic with your 18 year lifespan each year your insurance company will reduce the capital value of your EV if during those 18 years there is an incident that requires the battery to be replace insurance company will look at the replacement cost of the battery including removing old one and installation of new one and if it exceeds 70% of the current market value of your EV they will simply write your EV off 

Cars definitely last 18 yrs, so no worries there.  I had a 1950 in 1974, and ran fine, actually all original. 

Insured value, I could care less.  Now, it's insured value is more than we paid for it.

Also, people keep talking about the cost of the 'whole' battery pack being replaced, which is probably the exception.   Simply replacing the weak cells/module is the normal repair, not the whole pack:

image.png.40551fd835a5faf4cabb9f819744422a.png

https://www.mgcars.com/en/mg-models/new-mg-zs-ev/charge

Edited by KhunLA

40 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Yes I agree.

There will be many negatives down the road with the.

Everyone must have an EV car mentality,   that some governments  of the world are pushing on people.

Personally the world can shove there ev's for the next 5 years.

will need a new car about then.

But have a funny feeling technology may favored other things

by then.

Good luck DC  battery boys.

Edited by quake
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

How much though is a battery for a EV and how long does it last never mind how you charge it. 

Ms Google will answer the second part with a simple search, though has bee posted a couple times recently, but people still ask the same question.

image.png.13cbfaf7587cfc33a99f1770027efbad.png

... cost of course would be subjective to brand, who is replacing, and what needs to be replaced, how many cells/modules.

Since the longest I've ever owned a car, is about 7 yrs, it may be a mute subject how long anything lasts, 

I'm pretty sure this is 'my' last car/ZS, and probably my wife's, as she loves it also.  Will drive it much less after i've long departed.  So 20 yrs if far from optimistic.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, quake said:

Yes I agree.

There will be many negatives down the road with the.

Everyone must have an EV car mentality,   that some governments  of the world are pushing on people.

Personally the world can shove there ev's for the next 5 years.

will need a new car about then.

But have a funny feeling technology may favored other things

by then.

Good luck DC  battery boys.

23 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Cars definitely last 18 yrs, so no worries there.  I had a 1950 in 1974, and ran fine, actually all original. 

Insured value, I could care less.  Now, it's insured value is more than we paid for it.

Also, people keep talking about the cost of the 'whole' battery pack being replaced, which is probably the exception.   Simply replacing the weak cells/module is the normal repair, not the whole pack:

image.png.40551fd835a5faf4cabb9f819744422a.png

https://www.mgcars.com/en/mg-models/new-mg-zs-ev/charge

Cars built in the 50s depending on the brand they were built to last

We seen 2 cases where the whole battery needed to be replaced gwm ora cost in the region of 600,000 approx cost and the recent Byd atto 3 where the total repair bill exceeded the price of a new car.

As a rule early adopters get punished until the markets sort themselves out

I expect EV insurance premiums to increase next year or they may decide to implement a sub policy with an associated premium for the battery only

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/3/2023 at 4:52 AM, KhunLA said:

Not sure I'd buy any of the 'mini' EVs, as spec wise, they're definitely lacking.

There's also the Wuling & POCCO, but the specs for the price (฿400 & ฿500k) are not very good values, when the Neta V is a bit more, for a lot more vehicle (38.5 kWh).

Charging at home is pretty inexpensive operating cost, especially if solar now or in the future.

Not an EV, but starting price of Suzuki CelerIo is ฿338k (MT), ฿416k (AT), ICE (petrol & maintenance cost) but also a ~ 700 kms range.  Not that OP is interested in hwy driving.

https://www.suzuki.co.th/model/celerio?psafe_param=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAr4GgBhBFEiwAgwORrTDMCojnOYQwU3cZG6lmxb5hzVJphnxFUZj01TRQpMIvV6CQ9A_CqRoCabQQAvD_BwE

The Celerio IMO is a very clever car in terms of bang for buck.

But then I have always been fond of suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

13 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Cars built in the 50s depending on the brand they were built to last

As they are today also.  And much better ... lighter, faster, handling wise, safer, simply better in every aspect.

People need to stop living in the past.

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

As they are today also.  And much better ... lighter, faster, handling wise, safer, simply better in every aspect.

People need to stop living in the past.

In most ICE vehicles past and present no single component exceeds more than 30% of the total value of the vehicle

In BEV currently you have a single major  component that costs 70% of the total value of the vehicle

some insurance companies  looked at Covid as a business opportunity collect the insurance premium and not ever have to pay out

https://www.efinancethai.com/LastestNews/LatestNewsMain.aspx?release=y&ref=M&id=ZEtZUlF5a0xZb1E9

35 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

In most ICE vehicles past and present no single component exceeds more than 30% of the total value of the vehicle

In BEV currently you have a single major  component that costs 70% of the total value of the vehicle

some insurance companies  looked at Covid as a business opportunity collect the insurance premium and not ever have to pay out

https://www.efinancethai.com/LastestNews/LatestNewsMain.aspx?release=y&ref=M&id=ZEtZUlF5a0xZb1E9

Not seeing much difference.   If an ICE is hit hard enough to destroy the engine, or bend the frame, it's usually a total right off.  As any one component is far from the only casualty.

Same for EV, if damaged enough to require a whole battery bank replacement, it's probably going to be a total write off.  Or if front end & motors totaled, and or frame bent, and battery pack in perfect condition, it's still going to be a total write off.  At least the battery pack can be used for something else.

Insurance for any item, car, house, appliance., repair vs write off value, which ever cheaper is what they'll spring for.

Edited by KhunLA

On 3/4/2023 at 6:53 PM, edwinchester said:

It's an evasive manoeuvre designed to test how a car reacts to something suddenly appearing on the road in front. Should be called a Buffalo Test in Thailand.

Like the Swedish 'Moose Test' that Toyota's Hilux epically failed a while back?