Applying for Thai Ed-visa in Savannakhet or Phnom Penh

Hi there,

Would really appreciate anyone's relevant experience or advice on this matter.

I approached a school in Chiang Mai, about 4-5 weeks ago, to study with them. They come highly recommended and seemed very confident regarding the visa process. This is part of the reason I chose to apply with them, as I got the impression they 'took care of everything'.

In recent years, all of their ed-visa applications and processes have been conducted in-country. However, they advised me that it was best to apply abroad, as they'd heard rumours that the Thai government would be halting in-country applications. They advised that I do the one-month tourist extension in Thailand, so that I could wait until they'd received and prepared all of the relevant documents for me.

To try and make this post a bit more concise, I'll cut to my situation now. Got all the documents from them (although they'll redo one of the documents, depending on which embassy I apply through) - but discovered through research yesterday, that most embassies ask for a police clearance certificate. I need to leave Thailand in 10 days, so there isn't enough time for me to get one here (though I'll try anyway).

The only 2 near-by Thai embassies that currently *don't* list the 'police clearance certificate' as a required document on their websites are Savvanakhet and Phnom Penh. However, some wording on the Savvanakhet site suggests that only people with Laos residence can get their ed-visas processed there. And I've read that Phnom Penh have a reputation for being tough, and rejecting visa applications.

Just wondering if anyone has any recent experience with getting ed-visas at either of these two embassies?

Many thanks for your help in advance! ????

Edited by Penners
typo

In Phnom Penh, your previous visa history (as visible in your passport) could matter a lot. If you've already spent a lot of time in Thailand on tourist visas and/or visa exempt entries, it will be a tough place to convince to give you a Non-Ed visa for studying at an informal school.

Savannakhet is currently the consulate of choice of visa run companies, which means that you could contact one of them for up-to-date requirements (even if you ultimately won't use their services).

In country applications to study at informal schools were not allowed pre Covid. I believe they were permitted during Covid as travelling outside Thailand to apply was not possible. I am unsurprised at rumours that they will once again need to go vis embassies/consulates. I do not think police reports were ever required before to study at informal schools. I wonder if requirements have become muddled somehow.

Usually, Vientiane and Savannakhet are better options than Phnom Penh. I doubt you would be able to get an appointment in Vientiane with only 10 days notice. I would suggest Savannakhet. Apply Tuesday or Wednesday to minimise the queues.