Thailand’s dry season officially begins on Sunday

snoop1130

On 3/3/2023 at 3:35 AM, Doctor Tom said:

So what has the last 3 months of no rain called then,

Burning season, the rain season officially begins after the Songkran. 

Edited by Venom
  • Haha 1

On 3/3/2023 at 8:26 PM, kickstart said:

From about November to about the end January is called the cool season, ask anyone in the hills above Chiang Mai, or come out with me on the motor bike at 6.30 am, I am in Lopburi  in a rural area. needed my bike jacket on.

Farmer near me tried to grow a crop of maize, irrigated it as well, did not grow to cool for the hybrid seed. 

Last year we never really had a hot season, the rains come early cooled the place down. let's see if this year is the same. 

Good call.

I spend half my life next door in a Suphanburi province village.

Mornings last 4 (?) weeks have been brisk.

Great waking 05:00 to feed the cat, dog & me.

Mango trees seem to be taking a hit.

Locals are burning anything that does not move. Pity!

First week of March has been extreme hot, perhaps I am just older than last year.????????

8 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Appreciate the attempt to simplify torrid zones to black and white. It's not that cut and dried, as one tropical region might differ from another as applying to temps, humidity, altitude and seasonal wet/dry. 

To be quite accurate - Thailand, per se, has three seasons

Wet going into dry and cool and then hot and dry.......so on and so forth.

Naturally, conditions will vary greatly from one local microregion to the other. 

Yup.

After having spent 35 years in the tropics (Aus) and now 10 year Thailand, 3 seasons are in play.

Dry.

Wet.

Build-Up.

It's the Build-Up that gets ya. Can go for 3-5 months.

People go Mango Madness.

It gets more intense with age.????????

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Don't know where you're located Dr. Tom, but up here in the north east it hasn't just been 'coolish', it's been pretty damn cold! There were a few nights when we wore socks, shirts and wooly hats in bed. Really!

Takes others longer to acclimate from their home climate.

11-12 degree mornings are almost balmy and 38 degrees is miserably hot. 

20 years my <deleted>.

Edited by zzaa09
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

I disagree ... TH only has 2 seasons for me ????

... healthy air/rainy, mid May - Nov

... unhealthy air/burning, Dec - mid May ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zzaa09 said:
11 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Don't know where you're located Dr. Tom, but up here in the north east it hasn't just been 'coolish', it's been pretty damn cold! There were a few nights when we wore socks, shirts and wooly hats in bed. Really!

1 hour ago, zzaa09 said:

Takes others longer to acclimate from their home climate.

11-12 degree mornings are almost balmy and 38 degrees is miserably hot. 

20 years my <deleted>.

A valid point, but there are 2 other factors. As we age and that is most of here, our metabolism slows down and we are less able maintain body heat. So we quite simply feel the cold more.

The other factor is that our homes here do not have the benefit of good insulation nor, generally do they have any means of heating them. 11oC in the UK, for instance would not be considered very cold, but we would, none the less, have switched on the heating by then and we wouldn't have to dress up just to stay in the home!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

been raining heavily here in Surat Thani at least once a week, 2 days ago it really poured. We have had hot days but the rain has stopped me from doing some grafting  work on my trees as it can only be done in the dry season. I always thought dry season started in December, does this mean it will only last 2 months? as May is supposed to be the start of wet season

• Sad 1

Thanks!!!

Now I can stop traveling with my umbrella, three rain jackets, shoe covers and emergency flood beacons!!!!

I'll wait until the next announcement on the weather..... very helpful!!!  Why can't the West be this accurate??????  in the West, I have to follow the stupid weather every day!!!! horrible!!!!  it changes there!!!!

48 minutes ago, seajae said:

been raining heavily here in Surat Thani at least once a week, 2 days ago it really poured. We have had hot days but the rain has stopped me from doing some grafting  work on my trees as it can only be done in the dry season. I always thought dry season started in December, does this mean it will only last 2 months? as May is supposed to be the start of wet season

Oh dear. Another one not familiar with regional patterns......

November through February is the rainy season in the far south. 

12 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Yes, but down here near Rayong, its been hot.  Its the second year where we have seen almost nothing of a cool season.  Its a great topic of conversation among the old and wise coffee shop society here. 

14 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Oh dear. Another one not familiar with regional patterns......

November through February is the rainy season in the far south. 

sorry mate but living here in the "south" for many years that is so wrong it isnt funny, up until last year dry season was from dec/jan through to april/may(not the wet season), it could vary slightly some years but last year it rained right through most of the dry season, was the first time in memory of my wife(over 50 years) we didnt have to have water carted in for the trees as we didnt have a real dry season and the dam remained full.  You cant believe everything you read, really need to check actual facts first to save face, should also mention that Surat Thani is not the "far south" as well, we usually have 4 or 5 months of dry season each year but then I am  not a non local person that is quoting incorrect facts.

Edited by seajae
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/4/2023 at 8:45 PM, kickstart said:

No, hot season meaning we did not have temperatures of 39c for days on end just a few days of it.

And we have a small holding rearing a few cattle, working out in the fields it was not as hot as in past years, that is where you notice it, also the past 2 years have been drought years, hot. 

Well It WAS Bloody Hot in Nong Khai for WEEKS On End....

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/5/2023 at 12:20 AM, zzaa09 said:

Appreciate the attempt to simplify torrid zones to black and white. It's not that cut and dried, as one tropical region might differ from another as applying to temps, humidity, altitude and seasonal wet/dry. 

Wet going into dry and cool and then hot and dry.......so on and so forth.

Naturally, conditions will vary greatly from one local microregion to the other. 

I reiterate....the tropics has 2 seasons, wet and dry.

• Sad 1