Thailand’s dry season officially begins on Sunday

snoop1130

It’s about to get hot in Thailand, damn hot

By Peter Roche

image.jpeg

Heat and humidity in Thailand

Thailand is bracing for scorching temperatures as summer officially begins this Sunday, with the season expected to last until around mid-May. Bangkok is expected to see record-breaking highs of 39C, the hottest since 2019. Meanwhile, provinces in the north including Lampang, Mae Hong Son, Sukhothai and Tak, are likely to see temperatures soaring upward of 43C, as forecasted by Thai government meteorologists.

Although Bangkok will experience heavy haze this month, there will be some cool morning winds in the north and northeast. The capital city can expect stable, sunny weather for the next week with highs of 35C and progressively warmer evenings, with lows expected to rise from 23C to 26C by March 10.

Last year’s hottest days were April 13 and April 27, with temperatures reaching 38C, while the mercury hit 40C on April 20, 2019. Chomparee Chomphurat, the head of the Thai Meteorological Department, forecasts that prevailing winds over upper Thailand from the northeast to the southeast will make most of upper Thailand sear during the day, with this year’s average summertime highs reaching up to 35.5C.

Thailand’s climate is typically hot and humid, with temperatures averaging around 30C throughout the year – a distinct colder season up north from December to February, and always more humid in the south..

The country generally experiences three seasons: a hot season from March to May, a rainy season from June to October, and a cooler season from November to February. The monsoon season brings heavy rainfall and occasional flooding, particularly in low-lying areas with the winds sweeping in from the Indian Ocean from the south west.

The country’s climate can vary depending on the region, with southern Thailand experiencing more rainfall than the rest of the country and much more humid than up north.

Summer is expected to end in mid-May, giving way to the annual rainy season. Traditionally, rain starts sometime after Songkran, the Thai New Year, on April 13.

Source: https://phuket-go.com/phuket-news/national-news/its-about-to-get-hot-in-thailand-damn-hot/

Phuket Go

-- © Copyright Phuket GO 2023-03-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Since end of October no rain anymore here... I think dry season is here already for months.. and hot weather?? except a few weeks mild weather, it is already very hot.. On of the three seasons. hot season, very hot season and very very hot season

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Crossy said:

Exactly ^^^, once we got rid of the floods the garden has been bone dry, barely a drip of rain.

Mine has turned to sand and dust.... clocked 37 degC every weekday. Pool needed topping off yet again. I think it is only the pollution stopping it reaching 40!

44 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

Since end of October no rain anymore here... I think dry season is here already for months.. and hot weather?? except a few weeks mild weather, it is already very hot.. On of the three seasons. hot season, very hot season and very very hot season

Must be a newbie. As this last winter was quite coolish for weeks. 

Upper Nan province, no rain since early October except for an unexpected (and unforecast) very heavy hour or two long downpour one morning in mid-January. But the cooler mornings have persisted to now and the days have been mild. Overnight and maximum temps look to be going up 3-5 degrees from next week. Particularly bad air this year though.

• Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Must be a newbie. As this last winter was quite coolish for weeks. 

after 20 yrs living here it was still hot ... indeed a few days cooler.. but 10 or 15 years back it was really much cooler in winter ..no use of airco or fan in daytime or evening... But the last few years we can't without it.. But I am not living in the North, in Hua Hin

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, jollyhangmon said:

... perhaps they meant 'hot season' ... would be about the time for that annual announcement, no?

As for dry season, well at least up here in Phayao that's definitely about to END with March progressing as hotter weather also brings on storms and the meanwhile much needed rain to clean the f'n air ... 

955649441_Airqualimarchvsjanuary.jpg.cd239d73824062a437836485bc72634c.jpg

... that's AQI around 200, good thing I've hardened up properly from smoking da weed over a few decades ...

Nice view from your home despite the haze. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In 2016 I swore I would never spend another April in LOS, but Covid put that on hold for 3 years. This April I will spend in a part of southern France where the average daily high in April is around 17.5 Celsius. The flight is booked. Have to do it while I still can.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, kickstart said:

From about November to about the end January is called the cool season, ask anyone in the hills above Chiang Mai, or come out with me on the motor bike at 6.30 am, I am in Lopburi  in a rural area. needed my bike jacket on.

Farmer near me tried to grow a crop of maize, irrigated it as well, did not grow to cool for the hybrid seed. 

Last year we never really had a hot season, the rains come early cooled the place down. let's see if this year is the same. 

Last year we never really had a hot season.......Errrrrr, Did YOU Sleep right through it then ??

2 hours ago, crouchpeter said:

In the tropics there are only 2 seasons; wet (monsoon), and dry. We've just been through the "dry" season, and are about to enter the "wer" season. Of course, you can get some rain during the dry and very little rain in the wet in some areas. (eg. the Sahara Desert). Not to be confused with"wet & dry sandpaper as this reporter has done! 

Appreciate the attempt to simplify torrid zones to black and white. It's not that cut and dried, as one tropical region might differ from another as applying to temps, humidity, altitude and seasonal wet/dry. 

To be quite accurate - Thailand, per se, has three seasons

Wet going into dry and cool and then hot and dry.......so on and so forth.

Naturally, conditions will vary greatly from one local microregion to the other. 

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Last year we never really had a hot season.......Errrrrr, Did YOU Sleep right through it then ??

No, hot season meaning we did not have temperatures of 39c for days on end just a few days of it.

And we have a small holding rearing a few cattle, working out in the fields it was not as hot as in past years, that is where you notice it, also the past 2 years have been drought years, hot. 

• Like 2