Night bus ride to leave the country

The only time that I have had a passport control / check was in a night bus.

This was on the Route Pattaya -  Korat (which also doesn't pass near any border)

Day time never, but never say never ????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MJCM said:

This was on the Route Pattaya -  Korat (which also doesn't pass near any border)

Same. Bangkok to Khon Kaen.  Also never checked daytime.

I guess also that many of buses coming from the North going to Bangkok (for example) are prone to checks because of the smuggling of drugs (coming from The Golden Triangle) to the Capital.

Which route are you thinking of taking @Cuadrado?

Just now, MJCM said:

I guess also that many of buses coming from the North going to Bangkok (for example) are prone to checks because of the smuggling of drugs (coming from The Golden Triangle) to the Capital.

Which route are you thinking of taking @Cuadrado?

The one you mentioned from Chaiyaphum.

5 hours ago, MJCM said:

Same experience. Done that route few times on daytime, no problem. The only time I have done that by night was during Songkran. My bad I did not book the ticket, so they put me on the 00.30 bus. At the only checkpoint, police check every people on the bus. They even didn't ask for the passport but as I saw all Thais hands out their ID, I do the same with my passport. The officer even did not take a look at it.

When using standard VIP over-night bus from Chiang Rai or Phayao, it was normally stopped a a police check point early in the journey.  Police would walk through the bus looking at passengers ID cards.  As I was normally the only farang on the bus, I might be ignored, or asked for passport.  Normally I would pretend not to understand Thai, or say the my passport was packed in my bag, (in luggage compartment,)  never any problem and never taken any further.

But.... I believe that Thai law requires farangs to always carry their passport.

I always had a valid Visa to be in Thailand, so never worried about such checks.

I suspect that many up-country police do no speak English, so would want to avoid confrontation with Farang.

• Confused 3