A Tourism Dilemma For Phuket That Hua Hin Would Like To Share

webfact

image.jpeg

By Editor

A recent comment has been made by The Phuket News about flights to Phuket: ‘’It’s hard to say if 3,710 international and 3,760 domestic flights for March are too many, too little or just OK.   Some say that Phuket is already overcrowded, while others would rather prefer overcrowding to a repetition of 2020-2021 tourism drought.’’

That’s a dilemma that Hua Hin would like to share.  Four flights per week to Chiang Mai (from April) remain as the only scheduled connection to the airport. No other domestic destinations, including a mooted Phuket connection,and no international flights on the horizon. 

Despite reports of MOUs with multiple international carriers, a significant budget to upgrade the airport including the widening of the runway and official inspections completed, increased flights to Hua Hin remain unrealised and the reasons unexplained.

image.jpeg

In September last year John Laroche CEO of the Phoenix Group, the company at the forefront of the airport development said – “Hua Hin has received a bill of good health and support from the special parliamentary committee as the last stage for approval for international landings following a series of airport upgrades.  We look forward to announcements shortly.” 

Almost six months later, and we’re still waiting for these announcements.

At that time the Hua Hin and Cha-Am Tourism Association sent a request to urgently consider expediting the approval of international flights.  The request cited the negative impact on the hospitality industry and regional tourism in general.

Meanwhile over 50 airlines are confirmed to fly to Phuket from abroad in March.  International flights to Phuket airport are expected to continue growing as more carriers get permission to add the island to their networks of routes.

image.jpeg

The official schedule, released earlier this week by the Phuket branch of Airports of Thailand (AoT Phuket), lists 3,710 inbound and outbound international flights by 52 carriers in March.

Domestic flights to Phuket airport are expected to reach 3,760 during March.  Six carriers will be flying the island with Bangkok boasting the most connectivity according to the AoT schedule. 

On average Phuket airport will be serving 120 international and 121 domestic flights per day according the official March schedule.  That’s means an overall 1,687 flights per week, compared to Hua Hin’s four, to the very evident detriment of regional tourism.

The top carriers for international flights per week to Phuket are:

Singapore Airlines – 56

Qatar Airways – 56

AirAsia Berhad – 56

Aeroflot Russian Airlines – 54

Azur Air – 52

Go First Airlines – 52

Juneyao Airlines – 40

Scoot Tiger Airways – 32

Etihad Airways – 28

Emirates Airlines – 28

Indigo Airlines – 28

Spring Airlines 28

The airlines to provide these domestic flights per week to Phuket are:

Thai AirAsia – 252

Bangkok Airlines – 197

Thai Smile – 154

Thai Viet et – 143

Nak Air – 98

Thai Lion Air – 36

Source: https://royalcoastreview.com/2023/03/a-tourism-dilemma-for-phuket-that-hua-hin-would-like-to-share/

image.png

-- © Copyright Royal Coast Review 2023-03-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

As someone who lives in PKK I have to either drive to DM or Suvarnabhumi if I wish to fly somewhere other than to Chiang Mai from where I can fly elsewhere.  It would be nice if they added flights here and of course it would increase tourism here which is pretty light.  INstead we drive to Phuket for our visits which takes about 9 hours on a straight thru drive.  Of course stopping off in Krabi and visiting the locales there for a few days does break up the drive.  The past week I have watched as VIP bus after VIP bus headed south. Just yesterday as we drove back to the house from PKK Muaeng we counted no less than 22 of these buses headed south.  Now just where could they be going.....Chumpon, Krabi, Phang Nga, Phuket?  The bus companies are doing a brisk business and I am sure the airlines could be too.

I visit PKK many times being a short drive from my location, makes for a nice viable weekend or mid-week break.

I agree with you entirely, the airport could easily serve the province better with extra destinations on offer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From the Phoenix promo blurb.....

"Phoenix has set a target of 2 flights per day and 100,000 passengers in 2022, with markets within 6-7 hours being the priority. Their aim is to grow this to 5 flights per day and 1,000,000 passengers by 2025."

which does not sound like a world-shattering target........