Blood pressure monitor for homie use

steveb5

Can anyone suggest a blood pressure monitor for measuring blood pressure at home. I sometimes get a high blood pressure reading when checking at the hospital so I would like to keep track at home to see if I need to see a doctor. I looked at them om Lazad but I don't know how to choose one

I have two of them. One for the left arm and one for the right arm. Just kidding. If things are good then I buy often one as a spare. Paid about 600 Baht for one but years ago. Checked them with the one at the doctor and they show correct values. 

16779228218510.jpg

And then get an App for your phone, mine is called BPWatch. 

I do morning and evening, put in the data from the monitor, and it can tell you your best, worst or average for a given period.

I show this whenever I go to the hospital as the ones there are useless and inaccurate.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, metisdead said:

We've been using OMRON blood pressure monitors at home for years.  You should be able to find them in your local pharmacy:

HEM-7121

bought one, maybe like 2000 or a little more.    USED in hospitals they tell me.... has a professional feel.   Sometimes I get a reading, relax for 20 seconds, take another, and it's way different..... yea, I know you shouldn't take more than one reading.  anyhow, usually "seems" accurate and it's your LIFE..... don't save 100 baht

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I got one of these cheapies from Lazada and it was so inaccurate compared with my Omron, as was the 'Smart Watch' I got which was supposed to measure Blood Pressure. Get an Omron, the industry standard, it's your life at stake.

Whatever you buy. Take it with you to the doctor / hospital and compare it with them. I did and they were very accurate. And the ratings for the one that I linked before are not bad. But there are many other sellers. Just took this one as an example. 

SmartSelect_20230304-171044_Lazada.jpg

Edited by Mickeymaus

18 minutes ago, metisdead said:

We've been using OMRON blood pressure monitors at home for years.  You should be able to find them in your local pharmacy:

HEM-7121

have the same one for the past 5 years and works just fine, purchased at Lazada

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

Whatever you buy. Take it with you to the doctor / hospital and compare it with them. I did and they were very accurate. And the ratings for the one that I linked before are not bad. But there are many other sellers. Just took this one as an example. 

SmartSelect_20230304-171044_Lazada.jpg

But compare it with the readings from a real sphygnamometer and not their un-calibrated jobbie.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

But compare it with the readings from a real sphygnamometer and not their un-calibrated jobbie.

Check out this product at Lazada - sold tens of thousands of times and has excellent reviews. So many people can't be wrong. And I have the same ones and I compared them with the one at the hospital and they were accurate.

33 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

Check out this product at Lazada - sold tens of thousands of times and has excellent reviews. So many people can't be wrong. And I have the same ones and I compared them with the one at the hospital and they were accurate.

I agree I've got a Lazada one, highly rated, feels good quality, comes up with plausible figures, but I've never compared it with a hospital one. But blood pressure changes constantly and the post above suggests the same with the Omron one

• Like 1

Preferance would be German eg Braun, however bought an Omron and delivers similar accurate readings. Bought mine from Boots in Central Pats.

As Sheryl said, get the upper arm type not the wrist type.

Edited by RayWright

1 hour ago, metisdead said:

HEM-7121

Another +1 for OMRON.

And definitely check the cuff diameter fits your muscular farang bicep! :cool:

• Thumbs Up 1

I have an omron that I keep in Canada. I travel with a Cigii unit that cost about 500bt that is much smaller. The numbers they give are equivalent. If I had to buy one now it would not be an omron at 5 or 6 times the cost. The cigii unit also has additional features the omron doesn't like abnormal heart rhythm detection. 

• Like 1

I bought this one and it works fine, including Bluetooth transfer to the app on the mobile phone.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i396154541-s769402295.html

Personally I think with medical devices it's a good idea to buy brand name products. Because we want accurate reliable data. What's the point in a cheap device with possibly wrong data?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BananaStrong said:

bought one, maybe like 2000 or a little more.    USED in hospitals they tell me.... has a professional feel.   Sometimes I get a reading, relax for 20 seconds, take another, and it's way different..... yea, I know you shouldn't take more than one reading.  anyhow, usually "seems" accurate and it's your LIFE..... don't save 100 baht

Found the same....could start off at 140/100 and slowly, with repeated tests, get down to 120/80.........I ended up taking four measurements ignored the highest and lowest, then took the average of the two middle results......all very ify.

12 minutes ago, Keep Right said:

Seems like there are a lot of old unhealthy people on this board.

Yes. My blood pressure monitor showed me something. Some beers ???????????????????? and my blood pressure rises. It takes several days to return to normal levels without any alcohol. Without this device I would still take pills every day. But without alcohol I don't need them. Now I only take them when necessary. And I eat bananas every day - natural potassium.

7 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I got one of these cheapies from Lazada and it was so inaccurate compared with my Omron, as was the 'Smart Watch' I got which was supposed to measure Blood Pressure. Get an Omron, the industry standard, it's your life at stake.

Why would you check 2 times a day? If you have a problem get medication.

• Sad 1

@steveb5

Also have the OMRON, and at last check up, clinic used the same unit ????

Bought mine from OMRON's LAZ link to avoid buying a fake:

https://www.omronhealthcare-ap.com/th/stores

https://www.lazada.co.th/shop/omron-thailand-1525072635/?path=promotion-36900-0.htm&tab=promotion

Edited by KhunLA

13 hours ago, chuang said:

Pay a little more and get an Omron...

I have an Omron as pictured above but not sure if is calibrated correctly. The readings I get are lower than any I get at various hospitals I have used and its nothing to do with being nervous in a hospital environment.

13 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

I am one of the 10,000 happy owners,this one reacts quickly after I have a coffee and tracks the BP back to normal which is about 4 hours later.

• Like 2