Blood pressure monitor for homie use

steveb5

8 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Why would you check 2 times a day? If you have a problem get medication.

I do take medication for my Blood Pressure, amlodipine, and it seems to work OK.

Taking a reading morning and evening is just something I have got used to doing and to ensure my meds are doing their job.

Better than once every six months, which is what the local nurse does for my missis.

16 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I got one of these cheapies from Lazada and it was so inaccurate compared with my Omron, as was the 'Smart Watch' I got which was supposed to measure Blood Pressure. Get an Omron, the industry standard, it's your life at stake.

I agree that Omron are good quality instruments.

Another consideration with respect to paying a little more is that you will probably not need to replace the Omron BP monitor in your lifetime so the difference in price with others will be a one time thing.

Edited by cdemundo
auto-correct changed Omron to Moron

16 hours ago, metisdead said:

We've been using OMRON blood pressure monitors at home for years.  You should be able to find them in your local pharmacy:

HEM-7121

Yes, I endorse that comment. One thing to watch out for though is the cuff size. The 1st Omron I bought was too small for my arm, (despite the fact that I do not have fat arms!) 

I consulted Indy88 shop on Lazada via chat and they advised me on the correct one to buy for my 'falang arm' and it's worked very well ever since.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Yes, I endorse that comment. One thing to watch out for though is the cuff size. The 1st Omron I bought was too small for my arm, (despite the fact that I do not have fat arms!) 

I consulted Indy88 shop on Lazada via chat and they advised me on the correct one to buy for my 'falang arm' and it's worked very well ever since.

Also, read the instructions.   On my unit, the lead to the meter, is to be positioned at the side of your elbow.

image.png.38daced190c813a38d22d1a92504db4a.png

There are newer Omron and Withings blood pressure monitors that don't have the tubing - a one piece item that also logs your readings to your phone.

Withings BPM connect is good and on Shopee for about same price as Amazon US

https://shopee.co.th/Withings-BPM-Connect-Blood-Pressure-Monitor-i.71913621.7556898484?sp_atk=76487996-363a-46b4-bc27-d814043670c5&xptdk=76487996-363a-46b4-bc27-d814043670c5

53 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Yes, you may have to separately buy a larger cuff. I did.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, coops said:

There are newer Omron and Withings blood pressure monitors that don't have the tubing - a one piece item that also logs your readings to your phone.

Withings BPM connect is good and on Shopee for about same price as Amazon US

https://shopee.co.th/Withings-BPM-Connect-Blood-Pressure-Monitor-i.71913621.7556898484?sp_atk=76487996-363a-46b4-bc27-d814043670c5&xptdk=76487996-363a-46b4-bc27-d814043670c5

Are these wrist devices? If so, not as accurate as those tht wrap aroubnd the arm

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Denim said:
15 hours ago, chuang said:

Pay a little more and get an Omron...

3 hours ago, Denim said:

I have an Omron as pictured above but not sure if is calibrated correctly. The readings I get are lower than any I get at various hospitals I have used and its nothing to do with being nervous in a hospital environment.

Do tell me how you know that it has nothing to do with your attendance at a hospital? 'White coat syndrome' is well known within the medical profession and you don't have to 'feel' nervous for it to affect you. Many people have hidden trauma due earlier experiences and it can unknowingly spike your blood pressure.

It's because of this that home monitoring is the recommended way to check ones blood pressure and I'm pleased to see that there is so much interest in this topic.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Do tell me how you know that it has nothing to do with your attendance at a hospital?

I am not actually attending the hospital or talking to any medical staff. Our neighbor is often poorly and I take her to the hospital at all times of the day, once at 2.00 in the morning. No people around except emergency room staff. To fill in the time while I wait I check my pressure. Always higher than at home.

Same when I take my wife to her dentist in Bangkok. While waiting I stroll around the hospital checking out 2 or 3 of the machines that are out for the public to use.

Edited by Denim

18 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

I just see - they sell them for about 200 Baht now. And I paid about 600 Baht years ago ????????????

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.RqN7Y

You get what you pay for- they sound like junk at that price.

As already posted, Omron BP monitors at any good pharmacy. Mine is over 10 years old and still works well.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Also, read the instructions.   On my unit, the lead to the meter, is to be positioned at the side of your elbow.

image.png.38daced190c813a38d22d1a92504db4a.png

I might have got what you said wrong, but the reason they say to put it at the side is to stop occluding the tube by having your arm on it. The old mercury BP devices had to be at heart level, but I doubt it matters with a compressed air device.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

As already posted, Omron BP monitors at any good pharmacy. Mine is over 10 years old and still works well.

This isn't junk. It's just your guess. You never tried it. Mine has been working for years with no problems. Sure, waste your money and buy an expensive one at the pharmacy.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Surprisingly good, at that price get one and compare against Omron one

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm not saying they don't work. My Omron is over 10 years old and still works fine. How long do the cheap ones last?

Years and Years, they are surprisingly good, people get very precious about which one to buy but the greater focus should be on the food and drink they consume

I bought a "MicroLife" BP machine from Boots, complete with supply transformer, or can use batteries if you want. Great little machine and of course if you have any problems then Boots will most likely help out.

58 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm not saying they don't work. My Omron is over 10 years old and still works fine. How long do the cheap ones last?

My "junk" is now 5 years old and completely problem free. But I see now why mine was so expensive - 600 Baht compared to 200 Baht. I have the same one but with voice output. A friendly female voice explains everything. This is 615 Baht at Lazada. The voice output I always stop - can't be switched off completely. I can't hear it anymore. This is how I waste my money... 

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.RJFQ0

On 3/5/2023 at 10:29 AM, Sheryl said:

Are these wrist devices? If so, not as accurate as those tht wrap aroubnd the arm

No - both the Withings BPM connect and a new Omron are on the arm device - wrist ones are npt recommended at all.

spacer.png

Omron Evolv is their equivalent.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2023 at 7:11 PM, gargamon said:

I have an omron that I keep in Canada. I travel with a Cigii unit that cost about 500bt that is much smaller. The numbers they give are equivalent. If I had to buy one now it would not be an omron at 5 or 6 times the cost. The cigii unit also has additional features the omron doesn't like abnormal heart rhythm detection. 

something smaller ,but still reliable,is what i am looking for.I travel a lot,often by bike, with just a small backpack. Where did you buy this Cigii, and are there different models?

On 3/4/2023 at 4:45 PM, Mickeymaus said:

I have two of them. One for the left arm and one for the right arm. Just kidding. If things are good then I buy often one as a spare. Paid about 600 Baht for one but years ago. Checked them with the one at the doctor and they show correct values. 

16779228218510.jpg

I bought a unit more or less identical to this about a year ago on Lazada (Jziki brand 555) for about 250฿ which is surprisingly acceptable for the low price. Also got a more expensive Japanese one (Nissei DS11) which is about 1200฿ and better build quality, larger cuff etc. I've found the readings are pretty consistent between both. I also have occasional access to an Omron and haven't really found any discrepancies in the BP readings. 

On 3/5/2023 at 2:40 PM, Mickeymaus said:

My "junk" is now 5 years old and completely problem free. But I see now why mine was so expensive - 600 Baht compared to 200 Baht. I have the same one but with voice output. A friendly female voice explains everything. This is 615 Baht at Lazada. The voice output I always stop - can't be switched off completely. I can't hear it anymore. This is how I waste my money... 

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.RJFQ0

My cheap Chinese one also has that loud female orator (speaking English).  I found a couple of small pieces of electricians tape on speaker output dulled her to tolerable levels.