Getting internet on phone?

proton

Never had it, only home use. I have AIS pay as you go which costs almost nothing as I never call anyone, except the mrs to ask where she is. To get mobile internet access do they give you another sim card, or another one to add to it? Would not want another extra one as the second slot has my UK sim in it. How do you get it done? only want basic service for bank access and paying bills. Cant pay some things with cash at all now like major Cineplex

5 minutes ago, asf6 said:

If you won't use the Internet much, can you use your current SIM for for both calls and data by making changes to the settings of your phone? 

I believe the MAX charge is 49 THB per day if the OP forgets to turn it off. But you will get "warning" sms after a certain usage.

• Thanks 1

Does AIS sell voice only packages?  You might want to double check you package and see if have access to data?

My first package with True was a pay as you go with low limits on voice, data and text?  If you all want is to use a bank app a very low limit data plan might do ( I mean like 5GB a month?).  

20 minutes ago, MJCM said:

I believe the MAX charge is 49 THB per day if the OP forgets to turn it off. But you will get "warning" sms after a certain usage.

Not sure what happens now as I have an AIS recurring monthly account. But I used to get a 10 THB usage warning and then a 49 THB usage warning when I left the 'data' setting of my phone on. It used to be 49 THB was the max daily charge.

Before getting the monthly recurring account I always turned my phone's data setting 'off' because I was around free WiFi service areas. I decided to sign up for the monthly recurring account when I was doing a lot of traveling in remote areas.

Funny my recurring account name is MaoMao 239Baht 2 GB but the monthly charge is 255.73 Baht.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

I'm on a plan with AIS that gives me 1 mbs of unlimited internet for 60 baht a month. With that I can access Line, send emails and pictures, and stream music so it's good enough for me.

You have a link for this plan as I don't see it anywhere.

• Like 2

Probably all good ideas.. but turn this off that on can be complcated. .just get a one year package unlimited internet and free calls to any network any time.. for around 1600 to 1800 bhat.. then not gor to worry for a whole year.. no top ups.  Works for me and in the long run cheaper 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dingdongrb said:

You have a link for this plan as I don't see it anywhere.

They probably don't advertise it, but if you ask them for budget plans for people who don't use the phone much they might offer it.  I pay 200 bt a month for Dtac.  Get 100 mins of calls, & a limited data package at normal speed, then unlimited data at slow speed.  Suits me.

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, norbra said:

I have AIS sim voice only.

I dial *777*70# For internet 9 baht 24 hours 100mb for paying bills,banking etc.

I just tried it, deducted 9 baht but can't see how to activate internet

7 minutes ago, proton said:

I just tried it, deducted 9 baht but can't see how to activate internet

Just open your browser google something.

You may have to go to PLAYSTORE to get apps. For your bank etc.

Have you received SMS confirming internet is activated?

Do you have a very small 4g symbol near your phone signal bars?

If yes then all should be good

Edited by norbra

11 minutes ago, norbra said:

Just open your browser google something.

You may have to go to PLAYSTORE to get apps. For your bank etc.

Have you received SMS confirming internet is activated?

Do you have a very small 4g symbol near your phone signal bars?

If yes then all should be good

Did not work put on AIS on to get internet and it just ate up the credit

2 hours ago, proton said:

Did not work put on AIS on to get internet and it just ate up the credit

Turn on mobile data on your phone THEN subscribe to the same package. If you don't enable data on your phone, it will 'eat' your internet allowance in a heartbeat (as you just found out).

I have an AIS monthly internet on one SIM that's around 90 baht. I stream internet radio on it (via Bluetooth to truck, speakers, etc..) and never maxed it out. I once hot-spotted for my oldest lad who's a game boi and he blew it up within a few hours.

The DTAC offering on the other (backup) SIM is a bit more, maybe nearer 300 baht for the month?

I run two SIM's as I travel a fair bit and sometimes AIS roaming deals are better than DTAC (and vice versa).

The offers that AIS or DTAC send you via sms are "tweaked" in that they're based on your usage history, hence someone may get a data deal for more (or less) than what they offer you for the same package. Most of the really sweet deals are NOT available on either company's app so pay attention to their sms offers.

• Like 1

There are two ways to get internet on a mobile 'phone. One way is through your provider with data turned on which is available wherever you go.

The other way is using your wi-fi connection which is free but only available within range of a router.

Either way, I can't imagine who would want to use internet on a tiny mobile 'phone screen.

Edited by Muhendis
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Muhendis said:

There are two ways to get internet on a mobile 'phone. One way is through your provider with data turned on which is available wherever you go.

The other way is using your wi-fi connection which is free but only available within range of your home router.

Either way, I can't imagine who would want to use internet on a tiny mobile 'phone screen.

To pay for services and goods via QR codes mainly

• Like 2

12 hours ago, norbra said:

I have AIS sim voice only.

I dial *777*70# For internet 9 baht 24 hours 100mb for paying bills,banking etc.

I dial *777*35#    same same, I only use data on phone for google map.