Suvarnabhumi Passengers Urged to Arrive Early Amid Potential Delays

webfact

image.jpeg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Suvarnabhumi International Airport has started rolling out upgrades to its security screening facility at its departure terminal. The airport also warned departing passengers of potential delays as checkpoints are partially closed due to this renovation.

Suvarnabhumi Airport has advised departing passengers of potential delays caused by renovation work at its security checkpoints where new equipment is being installed.

The airport is in the process of adding an automated tray return system at security checkpoints, where departing passengers are required to have their carry-on bags scanned for prohibited items.

The new tray system will help double the capacity at checkpoints from 3,300 passengers per hour to 6,650. Once in operation, passengers can expect a faster process and less congestion at the airport.

To handle the current situation, the airport said it is deploying additional staff members to help passengers and has coordinated with immigration police to ensure a sufficient number of personnel at passport control.

Nonetheless, departing passengers are advised to arrive at least 3 hours before departure time in order to avoid any unexpected situations.

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG230305163350439

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2023-03-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Sad 4

44 minutes ago, F Groenen said:

Starting when ? Today ?
Until when ? Forever ?
Check-in counters only open 3 hours before the flight. Arriving earlier serves no purpose (other than to grab an overpriced drink or bite to eat).

Check in counters open more than 3 hours before flights.

• Confused 3

3 minutes ago, F Groenen said:

For local carriers, it is more than 3 hours. For foreign carriers it is 3 hours (at least the ones I have used over the years).

I've checked in for emirates flights leaving at 0200 at 2100-2200 many times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F Groenen said:

Starting when ? Today ?
Until when ? Forever ?
Check-in counters only open 3 hours before the flight. Arriving earlier serves no purpose (other than to grab an overpriced drink or bite to eat).

Are the overpriced food & drinks AFTER check-in, security & passports?

There's nothing between the entry door and check-in

• Like 1

and the one hour standing in line for a security check while transiting inside the airport will get even longer now????

At least I will save money by not having any time to spend at King Power shops..... (they will not care anyway....)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

There is on the bottom floor on the way to sky train.

• Like 1

not really clear, are they suggesting arrive more than 3 hours before flight departure? if so, how long before?

tbh it's time they sorted out security, it's way behind other countries. i have passed through with no checks on electrical equipment, not ever required to remove from luggage, no checks on liquids - shouldn't really complain as it makes it easier for passengers - but are they putting our safety at risk?

• Confused 1

Does the time of day matter? I have an 8 AM sharp departure for Seoul on Thai Air on 3/23. I'm in the Sukhumvit Asok area and figuring if I get up by 3 AM and in a taxi or the Express train by 4:30 then I will be out there by at least 5:30, but that's only 2 1/2 hours ahead, which of course used to be fine. 

Any tales of experiences with early flights are appreciated. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Go down 1 floor, many food choices there, be it at higher prices than outside the airport.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, F Groenen said:

Go down 1 floor, many food choices there, be it at higher prices than outside the airport.

Have a look at Suvarnabhumi airport departures on the date you are leaving, and you’ll ,see if there’s loads of flights leaving this early. I check all my flights like this. The check in cannot refuse you if you are before the limit time. You 

• Thanks 1

The new tray system will help double the capacity at checkpoints from 3,300 passengers per hour to 6,650. Once in operation, passengers can expect a faster process and less congestion at the airport.

From my experience, it's very rarely an issue with a lack of trays, rather, it's people waiting to the very last second to start removing their belts, shoes and jackets, extracting their notebooks and powerbanks from their carry-on, and then doubling back to do the scan again after forgetting loose change and keys in their pocket.

21 hours ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

How about allowing passengers with international connections with any airline to check their bags through to final destination and clear immigration at local int'l airports such as Chiang Mai?

This is why I put the entire itinerary on one ticket instead of separate tickets for each leg.

On 3/6/2023 at 8:32 AM, KannikaP said:

Plenty. There even a Family Mart at check-in, there's a thai style food court on the taxi floor downstairs, and normal priced coffee shops on at the foot of the airport train station, and there plenty of airport priced restaurants on the mezzanine level. There's plenty of more choice at the check-in side, just no lounges if I recall.

• Thanks 1