Thinking about buying a used car in Thailand

Currently have a 2014 Suzuki Swift GLX "top of the line" Ecocar that I want to sell.  Low mileage, 82K km and excellent condition.

Want to sell or trade it in for hopefully 200-250K.

Want to upgrade to something a little bigger.  Price limit below 500K (not counting trade-in value of Swift).

My wife says no to Toyota Yaris.  I agree.  Had a Gen 1 Yaris back in America in 2008 and it was built a little too cheap, same issue as Suzuki Swift. 

Also says no to Toyota Vios because discontinued.

Is it really that bad buying a discontinued model here? 

Does that make parts hard to get or do the local Thais just not want something that's discontinued thinking they must have discontinued it for "a reason"?

Also don't want a Turbo engine, Honda is putting those in all their new cars (City,Accord,etc) because unknown long term reliability.

Ideas...

2014-2018 Honda City V+ 

Honda Civic sedan

Toyota Corolla Altis 

Honda Accord (yeah right, dream on)

There's a 2017 Honda City located about an hours drive from where I live in Chiang Rai for 469K with only 47K km "one owner", but the car is from Bangkok.

My wife thinks cars from Bangkok aren't a good buy, maybe from driving in all the traffic or possible fender bender accidents, not sure.

Opinions?

And no, I'm not going to buy an old European car like a BMW or Volvo.

Those are rolling money pits for maintenance.

Honda is bad enough requiring periodic valve adjustments, 555.

Also, can Farangs get credit for a used car if they only have proof of foreign income, not local income in Thailand?

Or is there a bias against giving Farangs loans?  Do they prefer giving loans to rice farmers with no income vs a Farang with only foreign income?

Sure seems like a lot of people around Chiang Rai have expensive trucks and cars.  All of these people pay cash or have good income streams?

In America they give a car loan to almost anyone who has a job and can fog up a mirror.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by SiSePuede419

15 minutes ago, Bassosa said:

Honda having turbo issues is a new one for me BTW

That's because they only started to put exclusively Turbos in recent years.  No one knows the long term reliability after only a few years data.

For example, all 2018+ Honda Accords have 2.0L Turbo engines.

Higher pressure, higher temperature, faster wear.

It's basic physics, not my opinion or heresay. 

And you're right, I won't be taking a chance with a new car.

There is a 100% chance the value of the new car will decrease 60-100K baht as soon as I drive the back wheels off the dealers lot. ????

Edited by SiSePuede419

32 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

That's because they only started to put exclusively Turbos in recent years.  No one knows the long term reliability after only a few years data.

There is a 100% chance the value of the new car will decrease 60-100K baht as soon as I drive the back wheels off the dealers lot. ????

The current Accord in Thailand has either a 1.5 litre turbo or a rather lame 2.0 litre NA engine.  Neither floats my boat.

58 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Not always the case there was a period of time last year where people were getting everyone in their families to reserve an electric car knowing that their was a limited supply and a 6-9 month lead time and then selling their reservation/q number for between B100-150K reserve 20 cars and they were looking at a profit of between B2-3 million 

39 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

Cars are money sinkholes/liabilities.

For me, only if I live in the countryside.

Only saving grace is the (relative) protection in case of accident

Better than a motorbike that is..

Cars for most people are a necessity.

• Like 1

Why someone would get out of a low mileage unit in great shape for a slightly bigger used vehicle of questionable condition is beyond me.

Auto show later this month, go have a look. 

Pickups are the best value in Thailand, econo-boxes second. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/7/2023 at 4:26 PM, VinnieK said:

Cars are money sinkholes/liabilities.

Depreciating liabilities, to be specific as opposed to appreciating assets.

The only question when buying a car new or used is "how much money do I want to throw away or lose"?

Of course, cars do have value.  You're getting something for all that money you're spending.

Transportation.

From point A to point B.  Anytime you want. 

It's quicker than taking public transportation or walking.

The bigger the sales price the more *potential* loss. ????

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/7/2023 at 3:35 PM, Bassosa said:

I really don't understand why you don't stretch the budget a little and not get a Yaris Ativ. Beats a second hand car from 2017 with 46k on the clock in my opinion, even though its 60k dearer.

That's actually in line with my current thinking. ????

After doing research, I learned that the Yaris has greatly improved since my Gen 2 2007 hatchback.

In Thailand, the new Gen 4 Yaris ATIV subcompact sedan was launched in 2017 completely redesigned, with a 1.2 liter engine.

Looking at a 2023 Toyota Yaris ATIV SV model with "leather" seats and all the bells and whistles including Toyota's Safety System collision warning, lane deviation, etc for B584,000.

Thanks for the heads up. ????

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Go EV ... Neta V 

I'm all for EVs.  My last job was with a small EV startup in California.

However, it gave me an inside look at how many things can go wrong in the charging system.

Usually it's glitches involved in the low level components, not the batteries.

And you're taking a big chance on reliability with a Chinese vehicle, re: MG.

But yeah, in 20 years if I am still alive the Thai charging network will be built out and most people will be driving EVs made in Thailand (probably assembled with components made in China or Japan).

But I don't want to be an "early adopter" and have to suffer through all the issues. ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/7/2023 at 5:03 PM, Ralf001 said:

500k should get you into an '18/'19 YM Mazda 3.

Mazdas are cool looking ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM as their commercials in America used to say.  More sporty handling and better looking than Toyotas or Hondas.

But the engine and transmission doesn't last as long.

That's why Toyotas and Hondas are so popular in Thailand.

Thais are very practical people.

They don't like wasting money repainting their concrete buildings because they know it's just going to peel off in the future and they'll "lose the money" ????

On 3/7/2023 at 3:06 PM, SiSePuede419 said:

Does that make parts hard to get or do the local Thais just not want something that's discontinued thinking they must have discontinued it for "a reason"?

Many after market parts available here and especially Toyota.

On 3/7/2023 at 3:06 PM, SiSePuede419 said:

My wife thinks cars from Bangkok aren't a good buy, maybe from driving in all the traffic or possible fender bender accidents, not sure.

I would be more concerned with flood damage in Bangkok. Fender benders are nothing to worry about IMO, they cause no serious damage, and dings in plastic fenders can be pushed out after heating with a hair dryer. 

1 hour ago, SiSePuede419 said:

And you're taking a big chance on reliability with a Chinese vehicle, re: MG

Another Anti CH poster ... ????

Worked in a lot of CH EV auto factories ... have you ? ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Worked in a lot of CH EV auto factories ... have you ?

No, like I said my last job was with an EV startup in California.

What's your experience working on EVs in Chinese factories, "Chairman Mao", I mean KhunLA?

I don't think you are an Electrical Engineer with a four year degree, either. ????

But do go on with your propaganda.

The reliability record of MGs in Thailand is not my opinion, but based on user reports of people who bought them and saw numerous "build" issues.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/passion-drives-an-expat-nightmare-tale-of-his-new-mg-84978.php

Feel free to post reliability data, if any.

Edited by SiSePuede419
  • Love It 1

28 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

The reliability record of MGs in Thailand is not my opinion, but based on user reports of people who bought them and saw numerous "build" issues.

1 anonymous person, in an Op-Ed (opinion piece) mentioning anonymous online people, and if this forum is any indication of them ... nuff said

Is every car coming off the line going to be perfect, from any manufacturer ?

That's why they have warranties .... Have a nice day.

I'll take the word of the AN members owning, and is quite happy with it.  As I am with my MG EV.

Edited by KhunLA

14 hours ago, pedro01 said:

I would love to be able to buy second hand cars here instead of new - but I just don't trust them here. 

My wife used to work at a car dealership.  She said they can change the mileage.

It's true.  A tech with an OBD plug and the right software can change the mileage.  The mileage is stored in the Instrument cluster/ Odometer and if it's replaced techs are supposed to set the new Odometer mileage to the previous value.

Not to mention labor is cheap here and they can cover up evidence of damage cheaply.

That being said, I did purchase a used Honda SUV here in Thailand.  150,000km for under 300,000B.

Maybe I got lucky?!?

Did a bunch of work, replaced brake pads, belt, all fluids, etc for around 30,000B.

Going to replace all four shocks this week.

It's going to ride like a new car next week. ????

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

My wife used to work at a car dealership.  She said they can change the mileage.

It's true.  A tech with an OBD plug and the right software can change the mileage.  The mileage is stored in the Instrument cluster/ Odometer and if it's replaced techs are supposed to set the new Odometer mileage to the previous value.

Its also stored in the BCM (Body Control Module).... that is nearly impossible to alter.

And you're taking a big chance on reliability with a Chinese vehicle, re: MG.

Every car manufacturer produces lemons on occasion... from Mercedes to BMWs to Chevies... and yes MG does as well... be cautious of painting with broad strokes... it show's ignorance.

PS... I have an MG HS i-smart SUV and it is one of the best cars that I have ever driven... 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Not to mention labor is cheap here and they can cover up evidence of damage cheaply.

That being said, I did purchase a used Honda SUV here in Thailand.  150,000km for under 300,000B.

Maybe I got lucky?!?

Did a bunch of work, replaced brake pads, belt, all fluids, etc for around 30,000B.

Going to replace all four shocks this week.

It's going to ride like a new car next week. ????

An intelligent person, if can't tell by inspection, doesn't buy a used car without service records, that will have the ODO readings on the bill.

That uncommon common sense.

• Like 1