Red plates why..

20 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Mostly for show, but in reality to use the car whilst the transfer of ownership etc is processed and new plates issued.

Technically cant go out of province or after dark but never heard of that like many things ever enforced.

You can drive it of province, but must register the trip in the brown log book of the plates. The after dark used to be enforced many years ago, then the relaxed it.

20 hours ago, transam said:

Car white plates are supplied by the gov, they have a gov stamp on them. 

The red plates are owned by the dealer, you pay a refundable deposit for them whilst waiting for the white plates and registration book.

You can only use the red plates for 30 days, or risk a ticket. You should get an interim brown book to fill in whilst on red plates.

Yes, it is a daft set-up.....????

Red plates are issued and supplied by the government as well. There is a cost for it and therefore dealers have a limited number of them. Some dealers in the past used fake red plates with no logbook when they ran out of real ones.

The process of new owner registration takes time. During pick sales times can be longer than a month. Another issue is that some owners request nice or "lucky" numbers which night take even longer.

21 hours ago, yeahbutif said:

Why don't they get the right plate like in UK. .

I guess that on the UK the buyer has to wait longer to get the car. I know that this is how it works in some other countries - a customer buys a car that is usually already on stock, but road tax and customs haven't been paid yet, and the customer will get the car only after all is paid for and ownership transferred to them. Here you can get the car immediately if in stock, but as not registered yet you get it with temporary plates.

20 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

You can drive it of province, but must register the trip in the brown log book of the plates. The after dark used to be enforced many years ago, then the relaxed it.

Red plates are issued and supplied by the government as well. There is a cost for it and therefore dealers have a limited number of them. Some dealers in the past used fake red plates with no logbook when they ran out of real ones.

The process of new owner registration takes time. During pick sales times can be longer than a month. Another issue is that some owners request nice or "lucky" numbers which night take even longer.

Yes, the red plates are supplied by the gov to dealers, they pay for them, hence buyers deposit.

The Law states 30 days on red plates. If a dealer is sitting on your money in 'their' bank, it's a nice little earner...

LTO will give you a covering letter for the BiB after the 30 days is up....

We had an ordered plate, we had a covering letter....????

The parade cried out to the PPP. Backing up a red car that had been driving for a year. Car showrooms still don't give license plates.
Lawyer Decha takes customers to inform the police. Retract a new car with a red plate from a car showroom in Lopburi province. Drive for a year and still won't give the license plate...

https://www.dailynews.co.th/news/1927506/

Group of customers suing dealership for not providing correct plates

Interesting at the bottom of this article it does state if your not provided with the correct plates within the 60 day time period In which the victim does not have to pay off the car with the finance company as well there is a case where  Supreme Court had a judgment that favors the victims because the finance company did not comply with the contract...

Edited by vinny41
add

Just now, Big Bert said:

Bought a new scooter last month and was told can take unto 6 month now for white plate to come.

Not seen a bike with red plates, all the bikes I have bought over the years had no plates, just wait for them to turn up, not heard of a bike problem and the BiB, just keep copy of sales paperwork under the saddle...

1 minute ago, transam said:

Not seen a bike with red plates, all the bikes I have bought over the years had no plates, just wait for them to turn up, not heard of a bike problem and the BiB, just keep copy of sales paperwork under the saddle...

Depends on your area, Chonburi give red plates. Friends in Bangkok no plate until the white arrives. Not sure on other areas.

There are a few reasons people keep red plates on their vehicles for a lengthy time.  

You don't pay the vehicle reqistration fee until you get your actual license plate.

You can avoid getting tickets mailed to you from on road cameras.

Some people request specific numbers for their plate.  It can take up to a couple of years for that number to come up sometimes if you are very specific about the first number on the plate.  (this can only be done for krueng Thep plates but you can get them even if you live in another jungwat.)

Status symbol.

Also when you have red plates you are also given a book with it.  If you are traveling through different jungwats you are supposed to fill it out before hand with your travel details.

Edited by rwill
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, transam said:
23 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Recently had my red plate changed after a month, wasn't offered a refundable deposit back....forgot to ask

You may not have been charged, most do because they cost the garage money. Many years back I was charged a deposit of 3000bht...

Years ago I paid the balance at the dealership and drove away my new car.... 

A few hours later I received a call asking if I could go back and pay the deposit for the red-plates (they’d forgotten).

They [staff at the dealership] were quite insistent that I return there and then and were quite dumbfounded at my response that its ok, no need, I just won’t ask for the deposit back when they give me the white plates !!!....   they kept pushing, I got irritated and told them I’d pay when I am next passing by the their dealership....  

They simply didn’t know how to handle this ‘customer’ who did not do exactly what they wanted.....

This was second experience of buying a car in Thailand and it still struck me as strange (and still does) how upside-down the whole experience of buying a car is here... The customer most definitely does not come first !!!!... 

Red-Plates... ultimately because of laziness (combination of dealership and government / DLT) and no one takes issue because people like their red plates on a new car !!!...  

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, swm59nj said:

Some individuals seem to be a little jealous over a person having a red plate showing it’s a new vehicle. 
Just because some can’t afford a new vehicle doesn’t mean another shouldn’t  enjoy having one.  
The red plate has to do with new vehicle registration.  Not showing off.  

Having a red plate significantly longer than is necessary is a feeble attempt to show off. 

4 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I was on my fourth new vehicle was before I knew anything about red plate restrictions and whatnot, and I drove back and forth from Kabinburi to Bangkok every week, often at night.

Had numerous new cars...  like most, I’ve never been concerned with the Red Plate restrictions (real or otherwise)....  driven at night, out of province etc...

If there are any actual laws regarding this, they are ‘unpracticed’... or ‘hardly ever enforced’...  much of the ideas around the regulations surrounding red plates seem like many of the urban myths that surround such matters in Thailand... I’ve not seen anything written about driving at night or leaving the province, but, have had police friends tell me such, but they don’t know where its written either - it sounds like one of those legacy regulations thats just been passed along without any greater knowledge of the actual law... 

Only once have I witnessed a minor issue...  20 odd years ago, GF’s new car.. driving on the Expressway, at the toll booth a Police officer walked over, stopped the car and asked what we were up to...  “going home from work, why”... 

...”because you have red plates”.... 

and that was that, GF just drove on.... 

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Years ago I paid the balance at the dealership and drove away my new car.... 

A few hours later I received a call asking if I could go back and pay the deposit for the red-plates (they’d forgotten).

They [staff at the dealership] were quite insistent that I return there and then and were quite dumbfounded at my response that its ok, no need, I just won’t ask for the deposit back when they give me the white plates !!!....   they kept pushing, I got irritated and told them I’d pay when I am next passing by the their dealership....  

They simply didn’t know how to handle this ‘customer’ who did not do exactly what they wanted.....

This was second experience of buying a car in Thailand and it still struck me as strange (and still does) how upside-down the whole experience of buying a car is here... The customer most definitely does not come first !!!!... 

Red-Plates... ultimately because of laziness (combination of dealership and government / DLT) and no one takes issue because people like their red plates on a new car !!!...  

It's possible they didn't bother charging me for it, maybe the lady who has lived in the UK trusts farang to come back and change

Guys

New car 

Being charged 5200 baht for red plate 

That's staying on car maybe 1 month 

Then they want 5000 baht for normal plate which is refundable.

So red plate is costing me 5200 

Does that sound correct.

Thanks in advance 

Just now, stix40 said:

Guys

New car 

Being charged 5200 baht for red plate 

That's staying on car maybe 1 month 

Then they want 5000 baht for normal plate which is refundable.

So red plate is costing me 5200 

Does that sound correct.

Thanks in advance 

You pay a refundable deposit for the red plates, if they get stolen you lose it..

Why so long to get a plate? When you register a vehicle in Canda they ask if you have a plate that's good enough to use, if not she reaches under the counter and hands you one. Checks your insurance and bill of sale, the whole process takes five minutes.

Just now, The Old Bull said:

Why so long to get a plate? When you register a vehicle in Canda they ask if you have a plate that's good enough to use, if not she reaches under the counter and hands you one. Checks your insurance and bill of sale, the whole process takes five minutes.

Because you ain't in Canada, you are in the land of A4 paper, rubber stamps, overstaffed offices where confusion reigns........:cowboy:

• Haha 1

On 3/9/2023 at 5:25 PM, yeahbutif said:

Could someone explain about red plates on cars.

The reason for red plates was that years ago when everything was done in ledgers, registration of a new vehicle took quite a while. Use of a new vehicle was restricted because if you were involved with the police and they had to check the vehicle ownership it couldn't be done when the registration depts were closed.

In 2015 they said they would soon have a quicker registration process in place and the red plates phased out within 2 years, I think the new legislation crashed somewhere along the road.

I suspect many are more than happy to hang on to what they perceive as a status symbol, after all the police don't appear to be interested.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1