Red plates why..

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

Recently had my red plate changed after a month, wasn't offered a refundable deposit back....forgot to ask

You may not have been charged, most do because they cost the garage money. Many years back I was charged a deposit of 3000bht...

• Love It 1

6 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Mostly for show, but in reality to use the car whilst the transfer of ownership etc is processed and new plates issued.

Technically cant go out of province or after dark but never heard of that like many things ever enforced.

Police brown envelope job if your unlucky being stopped in car. 

With our new truck we got a book to fill in giving your destination.

At Police stops asked for it sometimes just like paperwork for a caged rig on the back of the truck you have to have paperwork for it or they fine you.

• Like 1

Drivers with red plates must seek permission from authorities if they want to use the vehicle at night. Cars with red plates cannot be driven out of the province where the vehicle was registered at purchase. Drivers must ask for permission each time they want to travel outside the specified area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_Thailand#:~:text=Drivers with red plates must,travel outside the specified area.

4 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Many years back I hired a car at Ubon airport, it had red plates for which I knew nothing about.

I had it for a couple of weeks, even drove down to Bangkok, drove around at night, never had a problem....:stoner:

You are issued a log book, to use when going out of province.  Still think restricted for night time driving, but never heard it enforced.  And never been questioned about it at check point at night.

Have been asked for log book when out of province.   Though not filled out, and they didn't seem to care.  Told them we didn't fill it out, as not sure where we are going, which usually isn't far from the truth.

• Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Technically cant go out of province or after dark but never heard of that like many things ever enforced.

I got fined driving my red plate car into another province. I made the dealer pay the fine since they messed up the registration. It does happen but rarely.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

I got fined driving my red plate car into another province. I made the dealer pay the fine since they messed up the registration. It does happen but rarely.

At the red plate 30 days, you can go to LTO and get a written waiver for the police, as your plates have not turned up, I did that once....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

When I live at the Kabinburi Industrial Zone, I had a neighbor across the street that had a SG Benze that had a red plate for at least five years, 

Perhaps he owned a garage or bought them off a chum with a garage....:stoner:

24 minutes ago, transam said:

At the red plate 30 days, you can go to LTO and get a written waiver for the police, as your plates have not turned up, I did that once....

Wasn't aware that this is a possibility, interesting. Sounds a bit strange though since that removes the incentive to actually register the car even more. What's the downside?

I went my route because it actually incentivized the dealer to get their act together and register the car.

5 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Wasn't aware that this is a possibility, interesting. Sounds a bit strange though since that removes the incentive to actually register the car even more. What's the downside?

I went my route because it actually incentivized the dealer to get their act together and register the car.

You cannot buy a new car without it being registered and the gov issuing the plates and registration book. 

There have been delay's in getting the white plates in the past down to the gov being behind in supplying them, though the BiB would probably know nothing about the delay if they were after giving a ticket etc. This is Thailand..

4 minutes ago, transam said:

You cannot buy a new car without it being registered and the gov issuing the plates and registration book. 

Of course you can, that's why the red plates exist in the first place. You can even buy a car and never ever register it, you just wont be allowed to drive it on the roads eventually.

4 minutes ago, transam said:

There have been delay's in getting the white plates in the past down to the gov being behind in supplying them

Ah so probably an exceptional situation where the DLT can't source the while plates and that's why the DLT issued you a letter. Doubt you can get that just because for example the dealer messed up the paperwork.

Red plates are what in the UK are called trade plates, which are used for the delivery etc. of an unregistered vehicle.

A few years back I bought a new car, which didn't have any plates - I'd seen a few obviously new cars driving around without plates, so didn't think anything of it. This lasted for 5 months, at the end of which a police check stopped me and fined me, saying the dealer was at fault. Went to the dealer and got the fine money, but insisted they give me red plates until the white ones appeared, which they did - I wasn't going to get 3 fines and lose my licence.

A few days later the dealer called to say the plates had arrived. I realized when we got the blue book and saw the tax renewal date being a year later that we had been driving an unregistered, and therefore illegal vehicle, the insurance for which we had purchased five months previously would have been null and void in the event of a claim.

Go to a DVLC and you will find a window for registration of new vehicles. The dealer takes the manufacturer paperwork there and a day or two later the plates and book are ready. The reason the dealer doesn't do this at time of delivery is that the new car tax, approx 100,000 baht, has to be paid, and they want to keep that money in their account as long as possible.........

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, eisfeld said:

Of course you can, that's why the red plates exist in the first place. You can even buy a car and never ever register it, you just wont be allowed to drive it on the roads eventually.

Ah so probably an exceptional situation where the DLT can't source the while plates and that's why the DLT issued you a letter. Doubt you can get that just because for example the dealer messed up the paperwork.

1. Oh well.

2. The gov MAKE the plates, they have the gov emblem embossed on them.

3. I got a waiver letter from the LTO because the dealer messed up.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, transam said:

1. Oh well.

2. The gov MAKE the plates, they have the gov emblem embossed on them.

3. I got a waiver letter from the LTO because the dealer messed up.

2. Uhm yes, not sure why you mentioned that.

3. Aha, not sure why the DLT would do that or why you mentioned the government being behind in supplying white plates then.

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

When I live at the Kabinburi Industrial Zone, I had a neighbor across the street that had a SG Benze that had a red plate for at least five years, 

That's what I don't understand but like many things on Thailand why why why..

Only one reason: Just to show off the car is new.

Why do you think most Thais don't remove the plastic cover from newly bought items like any other normal thinking person would do. 

I've seen new car with still plastic cover an their seats. The mind boggles but TiT. Don't try to make any logical thinking approach to the majority of people here...

• Like 1

Some individuals seem to be a little jealous over a person having a red plate showing it’s a new vehicle. 
Just because some can’t afford a new vehicle doesn’t mean another shouldn’t  enjoy having one.  
The red plate has to do with new vehicle registration.  Not showing off.  

Edited by swm59nj

17 hours ago, eisfeld said:

2. Uhm yes, not sure why you mentioned that.

3. Aha, not sure why the DLT would do that or why you mentioned the government being behind in supplying white plates then.

It seems you are not sure of anything, but carry on, ol' chap....????

Not long ago if memory is up to par… a lady bought car and has red plates got stopped and carted to mail fir fake red plates…. It was a dealer issue which bailed her out and I’m sure they had to pay up…no fault of the buyers…

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, transam said:

Car white plates are supplied by the gov, they have a gov stamp on them. 

The red plates are owned by the dealer, you pay a refundable deposit for them whilst waiting for the white plates and registration book.

You can only use the red plates for 30 days, or risk a ticket. You should get an interim brown book to fill in whilst on red plates.

Yes, it is a daft set-up.....????

my 2020 Toyota had red plates for six months, drove it from one end of Thailand to the other, never used the book never had a problem