Could and should AI replace teachers.

I suppose it has something to do with the fact that my son is on his fifth maths teacher in the same term, and this term has not finished yet.
So correct me if I'm wrong here, but each teacher comes in to take up the reins of the current curriculum, regardless as to the levels of each individual concerned.
So in practical terms if there are those that haven't passed go, what follows will be for all intensive purposes totally academic.
What I'm saying here is, if we all run a race we will not cross the finishing line all together.
So if education could be taught through AI, at a personal pace before one progresses, then could this be a solution.

Secondly it would be interesting to know at the start of the new school year, just how many have been debriefed by their previous form teacher, as to what their academic abilities are.

• Haha 1

If you ask me “could it ever?”. I’d have to say yes.. but.. i also think that the days of this question even being a realistic, large-scale question is still yeeeaaars away…

One thing that, when i look back what I’d call my best teachers, one strong commonality is … connection… I had a connection between the teacher and me.. I knew what they wanted and expected of me.. and they knew what I could do with the right training, motivation and supportz

So, for me, I think that for an AI-based teaching entity to become reality, that’s one big part of the overall puzzle that will have to be addressed.

Where i could see AI coming into eduction sooner is in more ancillary or support positions… that’s where I might see it first deployed. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, new2here said:

If you ask me “could it ever?”. I’d have to say yes.. but.. i also think that the days of this question even being a realistic, large-scale question is still yeeeaaars away…

One thing that, when i look back what I’d call my best teachers, one strong commonality is … connection… I had a connection between the teacher and me.. I knew what they wanted and expected of me.. and they knew what I could do with the right training, motivation and supportz

So, for me, I think that for an AI-based teaching entity to become reality, that’s one big part of the overall puzzle that will have to be addressed.

Where i could see AI coming into eduction sooner is in more ancillary or support positions… that’s where I might see it first deployed. 

Connection - totally agree.
How can you land a fish without hooking it first.
A connection is communication, and what we have here so often if I may dare say so, is a failure to communicate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=452XjnaHr1A
Which brings me to should teaching be a form of entertainment, informative entertainment that is.
If you cannot entertain and engage, are you really in a position to communicate and teach?

In my, not so humble, opinion it could not. It not even exist something that could be cald AI. A computer is just dumb switchers that not could answer anything that it not have been learned. So no, AI in the form it is today, could not replace a teatcher. A teatcher has to understand both the answer given and put it in relation to the correct answer. No computer is possible to that. Man is more intelligent then computers.

AI could one day replace teachers, but it should not replace teachers. AI could be a valuable assistant to teachers.

We have to realize at some point that as cost saving and convenient as AI and IT are, they do take away the human element in interpersonal relationships. 

AI is a dangerous thing, not sure why people can't see this. Numerous examples of, AI learning it's own language that the programmers don't understand, asking for the nuclear codes, various things like this. The movies: 2001; A Space Odyssey and The Terminator, come to mind. I know programmers say they can stop it at any time, but what happens if the AI program learns this and stops humans from stopping them BEFORE humans can do anything? Stephen Hawking--when he was alive, Elon MUsk, Bill Gates and other well educated people say it will take over the human race in time. IMO we shouldn't be developing this type software.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mommysboy said:

AI is going to replace a lot of workers end of.  It's all about saving money, although teachers' salaries in Thailand are extremely low anyway.  It's probably a good thing for Thailand.  Not so much 'should' as 'will'.

They tried ai teachers it was called zoom class.  The challenge with ai is that it is then self paced learning.  Not good here.  The challenge here is that so many Schools are dependant on money from parents that they have to pass somchai.

I have a private student I tutor. Until he came to me he never answered a question in school.  P5 and just sits in class and says nothing.  Teacher never asks and he automatically passes.  Mom thinks it's great that I keep pushing him. But is he ready for p6 nope but his English spelling and reading is better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Parsve said:

In my, not so humble, opinion it could not. It not even exist something that could be cald AI. A computer is just dumb switchers that not could answer anything that it not have been learned. So no, AI in the form it is today, could not replace a teatcher. A teatcher has to understand both the answer given and put it in relation to the correct answer. No computer is possible to that. Man is more intelligent then computers.

Current AI is a lot better than you realise. 

How many AI tools have you even tried? 

Are you using the paid version of ChatGPT?   

Do you even know what the current state of large language models is? 

The rote style of teaching, probably used by 80% of teachers in Thailand, will be easy to replicate with AI. 

Other forms of teaching,dare I say the correct ways; asking questions, inviting questions, learning by doing, are not so easy to do.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, new2here said:

Agree. After 41 years teaching, I would hazard the  guess as AI being utilized as ancillary to an educated educator who soon learns to try to make the personal connections and utilize their ability to weave and Bob as needed to deal with a classroom of individuals coming from different backgrounds with different abilities and dealing with various daily realities.

"Should this thing that doesn't exist replace teachers?"

AI has not been invented yet. We have rudimentary language models utilizing machine learning to attempt to sound human when they present aggregated information. This is nowhere close to being AI.

• Thumbs Up 1