Can Farang Purchase/own A Car On A Retirement Visa?

I want to purchase a used car with cash. What are the requirements for car ownship? I've been told a farang cannot own a car without a "yellow" book. Anyone know anything about this?

A farang can own a car and have the registration made in his/her name. If you do not have a "yellow book" a letter from Immigration giving your local adress should also be accepted.

You do not need a yellow book. You will need a letter either from Immigration or from your Embassy, for comfirmation of your address in Thailand. Take the letter and your passport to the garage, plus your money. The car goes in your name.

Geordie

I want to purchase a used car with cash. What are the requirements for car ownship? I've been told a farang cannot own a car without a "yellow" book. Anyone know anything about this?

No problem. You only need a copy of you passport, visa and entry stamp, and a certified copy of your address from your nearest immigration office.

Maybe you already know, but be very careful when choosing a second-hand car, many have been to the moon and back and have been 'clocked' and revamped to look like new! :o

Good luck

geoffphuket

But do you need a non-immigrant visa every time you get the yearly registration renewal for the vehicle which is already in your name?

If you are referring to the annual road tax then no. Never asked for my passport or anything other then the registration book.

But do you need a non-immigrant visa every time you get the yearly registration renewal for the vehicle which is already in your name?

You dont need non-immigrant visa, you dont need anything, just show your passport when you buy a car or MC, the shop will put it in your name.

You dont need non-immigrant visa, you dont need anything, just show your passport when you buy a car or MC, the shop will put it in your name.

The above is at cross purposes.

So, for the annual registration renewal, what do you need as paperwork or docs?

I didn't need a confirmation of address from my embassy or the immigration office. Just a copy of my passport (front and visa page) and work permit was all the dealer wanted to see. They then did the paperwork and went to the motor vehicle office and came back with the registration (ownership title) book in my name.

For the registration renewal, as with Tywals, I didn't need anything at all apart from the blue registration (title) book. Not sure what happens if the bank has that.

Depends on the office..

Technically it should be a long stay visa I am told.. Non imm O or non imm B..

I have however had cars and bikes put in my name on lesser ones but theres always the chance they could refuse.

And its not 'the shop' you have to make happy its the transport office.. They are the ultimate decider of what they will or will not accept.

Yeah, buying the vehicle brand new is the easy part. The colour of money works wonders in the dealership.

Its when the unending wait for the book and number plates drags on and on that you suddenly get refused by the dept of transport.

No problem though just ride about without plates and keep away from road blocks :o

Yeah, buying the vehicle brand new is the easy part. The colour of money works wonders in the dealership.

Its when the unending wait for the book and number plates drags on and on that you suddenly get refused by the dept of transport.

No problem though just ride about without plates and keep away from road blocks :o

Maybe, but never happend to me or any of my friends, Phuket that is. I had 3 cars and 4 bikes so far all in my own name, without non-immigrant visa.