Xp Or Vista?

TBWG

If you've got the horsepower, I'd go for Vista every time - I have it on 3 machines now and have yet to see it crash, it looks nice and plays nice.

BUT you have to have a pretty good PC, 2Gb of RAM is IMO the minimum if you want to play games or do anything fancy.

I would have to say XP tbh, but depends on what you do with your pc (and the horse power factor). I found vista a bit too buggy and ram heavy. I run ram heavy programmes running simultaneously on my VAIO and vista couldnt hack it. Lagged out on me.

Another consideration - Lots of hardware drivers are not Vista compatible yet, so that's a consideration if you tend to upgrade or tend to buy brands that don't offer driver updates. Some software also requires upgrading, which may require buying the new version for older software.

Another consideration - Lots of hardware drivers are not Vista compatible yet, so that's a consideration if you tend to upgrade or tend to buy brands that don't offer driver updates. Some software also requires upgrading, which may require buying the new version for older software.

I would disagree with the word lots

I have found tht most vendors either have a vista specific driver or the XP version works ok.

I've been on vista since day 5

XP pro unless you want to be a beta tester for m/soft

aside from the built in DRM issues , I'd wait a year till it has been service packed and alot of the niggles have been ironed out.

I get more updates and fixes for XP than I do for Vista. In fact Vista is the most trouble free new OS I've ever used. I've got XP running on two machines (One with Home, the other with MCE) and Vista on one. Vista is by far the least troublesome of the three.

So far as beta testing, Vista was been beta tested far more extensively than any operating system to date. I've yet to have any hardware issues, and aside from an old game or two, everything runs smooth as silk.

You'll notice that many of the people trashing Vista aren't actually using it. Those who are using it, have little bad to say about it :o

I admit to being a Luddite (still running W2k on several machines).

BUT we've got the dreaded Vista on several office machines and it's running just fine (except with Lotus Notes and I think that's a Notes issue). The only thing is, I don't see any significant advantages over a stable XP machine in our particular environment.

Personally, my home equipment doesn't have the grunt for Vista (fastest box is a 2GHz P4) so I'll be using XP / W2k for a while yet.

You'll notice that many of the people trashing Vista aren't actually using it. Those who are using it, have little bad to say about it :o

yes you are correct - I am not using it , but I have been brought 2 Vista laptops with people asking me why they can't play their mp3's anymore.

I purchased a laptop for some one else last month - and a deliberately specified XP pro

I still have a P3 733 box running 2K pro for kids to play games on.

I don't have stability issues on my 2 year old personal laptop running XP pro

People are more likely to find better support for XP pro from their local techs

Vista is pain when you want to do any admin task.

It requires upgrades for many programmes, so extra cost involved.

Look before you leap, is my advice.

nope, i havent had to pay for anything except Vista itself. I can play DVD's, MP3's and AVI's without a problem.

Had to download the vista drivers for most of the stuff, but thats the same whenever you try a new OS, cannot be avoided.

Must say have to agre with the vista runners. It seems to me the people slagging vista off dont run it? I've had vista now for 2 months and apart from it initially not recognising my graphics card, Sorted by a Bios flash its run without problems. Much better than XP. If you have the ram, and its now so cheap, go for vista.