Buying Land or house in half farang/half Thai childs name

This is an interesting one, A friend has been told by the Land Office in the South that he cannot buy land in his daughters name because she is half farang and half Thai, was told by the office he needs to buy it in his Thai wifes name and then 6 months later transfer it to his daughters name. 

Question is, has anyone else come across this recently? I thought maybe they are to lazy to do the extra paperwork. And please when replying no smart comments about "the wife planning it this way" My friend speaks Thai and was told in person by the staff at the land office. 

May be there is some restrictions for buying in a minor child's name when the guardian is a farang? I wanted to buy a house in my daughter's name but eventually bought it in her mother's name. I thought eventually no mother will deprive her own daughter from staying in her house and it will be in her name eventually anyway. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

Question is, has anyone else come across this recently? I thought maybe they are to lazy to do the extra paperwork. And please when replying no smart comments about "the wife planning it this way" My friend speaks Thai and was told in person by the staff at the land office. 

Which extra paperwork? The extra nationality of the child is irrelevant, the child is a Thai citizen and thus can own land.

I'd assume that it's just xenophobia. Your friend should go there again, speak with another officer, and just don't mention that she also has another nationality.

12 hours ago, Faltu said:

I thought eventually no mother will deprive her own daughter from staying in her house

Purposefully probably not many. But many mothers would use it to borrow money, and then lose the house in the process.

Edited by FriendlyFarang

14 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Purposefully probably not many. But many mothers would use it to borrow money, and then lose the house in the process.

I have already told her that if you want to borrow money, you can borrow money from me at 0% interest. So, please don't borrow from anybody else and lose your house. So far she has not borrowed anything from me. She has a Thai restaurant near the port and that generates enough income for her expenses. I pay all school expenses for my daughter. I have also opened a 300K baht mai tai dai account in her name and I keep checking it from time to time. So far she has spent only 32K baht from that account in the last 10 years. I will top it up to at least a million  once I start my SS at 67. I also have a condo in Pattaya and transfer the condo to my daughter's name or her mother's name once I start my SS because I will be getting $3,500/month (at today's estimate that will increase based on US inflation) and that will be enough for me. I also have another house in the US. If she is stupid enough to borrow and by putting her house as collateral and she would be inviting poverty. And I won't be responsible for that. In five years when I will be 67, my daughter will be left with two more years for her graduation from a University. 

Edited by Faltu