Evidence Of Identity Form - UK

I have been sent an Evidence Of Identity Form from a UK fund company that I need to complete to receive my due funds. I can provide both a current signed passport and an internet printed out bank state as evidence which I have but they say it must be signed by a lawyer, notary public or a police officer amongst others.

My question is since the notary lawyer charges me around 3000THB for this service in Sukhumvit Bangkok, could I get it done at Bangkok Police HQ, near Central World, and in English cheaper?

It can be a problem finding someone to sign it since most Thais do not understand what it is about and are reluctant (as most would be) to sign something they do not understand.

My doctor is kind enough to sign mine. Previously I used a notary in Bangkok who charged B500. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I had a similar problem with a UK fund company.  I was fed up with having to obtain certified copies for every company that wanted me to confirm my identity. I argued for weeks, by email, and the company eventually froze my account, and refused to tell me how much the balance was in the account. I then contacted the FCA, who said that the complaint was not one of the type of complaints that they could take forward.  They referred me to the financial-ombudsman org in UK.  I contacted them, and they were very helpful, although they said that I had little chance of winning.  My complaint was,essentially, that the money-laundering legislation did not insist that I provide certified copies of any document, but only that the company had to be satisfied about my identity. My argument was that, in view of the fact that the company had been corresponding with me by post and by email for 20 years, they should already be satsified about my identity. I informed the company that, if they still had doubts about my identity, I would provide certified copies at their expense. To my suprise, and the finacial ombudsman's office's surpise, the company agreed and paid for the certified copies on production of a paid receipt. 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

The usual charge for a notary is 2000 baht but police and doctors are usually cheaper.

I have signed proof of life forms for UK pensions but DWP have eased up on people in Thailand they realize it can be difficult to get Thai people to sign,  especially if you live out in the sticks.

Who can certify a document

Your document must be certified by a professional person or someone well-respected in your community (‘of good standing’). 

You could ask the following if they offer this service:

bank or building society official

councillor

minister of religion

dentist

chartered accountant

solicitor or notary

teacher or lecturer

The person you ask should not be:

related to you

living at the same address

in a relationship with you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

councillor

minister of religion

dentist

chartered accountant

solicitor or notary

teacher or lecturer

Yes, I have been given a similar list that also included police officer, so I was just wondering if anyone has done it at Bangkok Police HQ, I am going there next week anyway as I need a police clearance for a visa to another country, so I will ask when I get there. Its not a big deal for me, and I didn't want to pay the higher private lawyer fees, as I guess most Thais in other professions don't like certifying things like this.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, GuyDow said:

It can be a problem finding someone to sign it since most Thais do not understand what it is about and are reluctant (as most would be) to sign something they do not understand.

My doctor is kind enough to sign mine. Previously I used a notary in Bangkok who charged B500. 

I doubt that yours was a certificate of identity. Probably a pension life certificate.

27 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

The usual charge for a notary is 2000 baht but police and doctors are usually cheaper.

I have signed proof of life forms for UK pensions but DWP have eased up on people in Thailand they realize it can be difficult to get Thai people to sign,  especially if you live out in the sticks.

Who can certify a document

Your document must be certified by a professional person or someone well-respected in your community (‘of good standing’). 

councillor

minister of religion

dentist

chartered accountant

solicitor or notary

teacher or lecturer

The person you ask should not be:

related to you

living at the same address

in a relationship with you.

K, you have quoted the pension life certificate requirements; this is different - a certificate of identity usually requires something stronger......I may be wrong.

2 hours ago, Digitalbanana said:

Interesting. May I ask where or PM info please? That's cheaper than I was quoted.

His office closed during the pandemic as business collapsed. However there are others who usually operate near the major embassies. They are not fully fledged lawyers but do offer supporting services for passport applications, visas and the like. You have to shop around to find them. Sorry I can't be of more help here. 

3 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

K, you have quoted the pension life certificate requirements; this is different - a certificate of identity usually requires something stronger......I may be wrong.

That's the general list of UK govt requirements for ID confirmation the list is use for many things passports for example.

Interesting. This is for a pension fund, so maybe a police cert is enough. Will ask them this week when I go there.

Yes, but not for investment funds where the requirements are usually tougher.

Well if investments fund managers have their own levels of notary who they except in that case they should say who they will except to prove ID of the invester.

4 hours ago, Digitalbanana said:

Interesting. This is for a pension fund, so maybe a police cert is enough. Will ask them this week when I go there.

I don't think it's interesting at all just makes you concerned more I never needed much for my private pension funds to get them paid out. 

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Well if investments fund managers have their own levels of notary who they except in that case they should say who they will except to prove ID of the invester.

Yes they do, they can be quite specific - usually a Notary Public. However, from what the OP has since said, it may well be just a pension fund.

• Thumbs Up 1