Train # 10 from Chiang Mai to Bangkok - Any Recent Experience?

tri

Not sure recently but past years it seems to always arrive later than scheduled. But what would one expect with a train system that is so old it it barely runs?

If Thailand would build a proper train system and perhaps use it to move freight the highways wouldn't be so crowded with slow moving trucks that do nothing but destroy the roads. And just maybe there would be less horrific road accidents causing deaths too.

45 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Not sure recently but past years it seems to always arrive later than scheduled. But what would one expect with a train system that is so old it it barely runs?

If Thailand would build a proper train system and perhaps use it to move freight the highways wouldn't be so crowded with slow moving trucks that do nothing but destroy the roads. And just maybe there would be less horrific road accidents causing deaths too.

Common sense is a rarity here...........

Took it last month, 1st class compartment.  Departed and arrived on time.  The ride was comfortable, fold out bed not bad.

There was confusion about food, perhaps a bit scammy.  A lady came around the compartments at departure with a menu saying we had to pre-order and pay her for dinner & breakfast.  Some purchased from her, others, including myself deferred.  When we got to the dining car (BTW, NO alcohol) we were able to order off the menu and pay at prices less than the lady had showed.  

Don't order the morning coffee.  Dreadful instant in a paper cup with no sugar or creamer included.

The new Bang Sue terminal is confusing and poorly marked.  Getting a taxi involved a lot of walking.  Many taxi touts around, I finally gave in and set a price with one I knew to be not far off.

Edited by dddave
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, dingdongrb said:

Freight is moved along the rails, what do you think its only just for passenger transport here in Thailand?

We live near the Tracks in PKK and I see several freight trains moving along the rails here from the fruit canning factories etc....

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Freight is moved along the rails, what do you think its only just for passenger transport here in Thailand?

We live near the Tracks in PKK and I see several freight trains moving along the rails here from the fruit canning factories etc....

I don't disagree with you, but what percentage is moved from the ports around BKK to the North and Northeast regions using the railroad system? I bet it's not too much. 

6 hours ago, MJCM said:

1 Search

https://ttsview.railway.co.th/searchresult.php?trainno=10&station=&lang=thai

And it arrived AFAIK at 7:42am

Edit: So a delay of 52 mins

Edit2: Top Right you can change the language to English

train.JPG.cb9f6b0c4dd8c9f5ee382d1e0f15a3ac.JPG

I had a better look at the website and these are the arrival times from March 1st till the 11th

1- Arrived at 6:50

2-7:25

3- 7:25

4- 6:55

5- 7:34

6- 7:10

7- 7:10

8- 7:30

9- 7:45

10- 6:50

11- 7:42

Link: https://ttsview.railway.co.th/srtttsview.php

Where it says: เลขขบวน :

Type in 10 (for the train number)

and on the right change the dates

Edit: Those dates are guess the leaving dates, so the one on the 11th is the one that arrived this morning as for the 12th it doesn't show a train YET (as it's still not 6pm)

Edited by MJCM

2 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

I don't disagree with you, but what percentage is moved from the ports around BKK to the North and Northeast regions using the railroad system? I bet it's not too much. 

We are in the NE and we hear trains coming past us all hours of the day even when there are NO scheduled Passenger Trains. We only live a 2 kms (+-) from the tracks

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

We are in the NE and we hear trains coming past us all hours of the day even when there are NO scheduled Passenger Trains. We only live a 2 kms (+-) from the tracks

I used to live in Chiang Mai where my house was pretty much in the airport's flight areas. I heard planes quite a lot but that doesn't mean they were full of passengers..... or even carrying freight

Not so sure how accurate this is:

"Only two percent or less of Thailand's freight is transported by rail, despite rail being roughly half the cost of road transport and cleaner environmentally."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_transport_in_Thailand

On 3/12/2023 at 6:58 PM, dingdongrb said:

I used to live in Chiang Mai where my house was pretty much in the airport's flight areas. I heard planes quite a lot but that doesn't mean they were full of passengers..... or even carrying freight

Not so sure how accurate this is:

"Only two percent or less of Thailand's freight is transported by rail, despite rail being roughly half the cost of road transport and cleaner environmentally."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_transport_in_Thailand

Your quote from Wikipedia doesn't mean much as it refers to Thailand as a whole, when we know that the rail system is not/cannot be capillary.

What would be interesting to know is the percentage of rail/road transport on the BKK-CM route. I for one think that Thais are not completely stupid and inefficient as it is often purported on this forum, and they choose what is best. For example, take Lazada. They have their own trucks, transporting lots of packages on that main route. If you count by package, train might seem a better choice economically. But if you count as a whole, I am sure the opposite is true. Same reason why in Europe DHL and similar have their own planes. And I seem to remember that in Sweden, IKEA built their own railway network. It all depends on the volume of goods shipped under one label.