Detatched retina.

gavlar

Hi,

I have a detatched retina on bottom of my eye. Unfortunately my private insurance has this eye as an exclusion, as I had previous operations on it in UK.

Just been to Bangkok Hospital Udon Thani who are recommending silicone oil operation to push the retina back into position and then a further operation in a few months to remove the silicone oil.

This comes at a considerable cost depending on local or general anaesthetic.

Has anyone any experience of having a similar operation in the NE at a general hospital, such as in Koen Kaen, and able to share approximate costs it would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

I'm going through similar currently and have been seeing Dr Roy at the Rutnin. I tore my retina which was lasered at a private hospital in Chiang Mai after some considerable delay, through not fault of my own. Both retina's were photographed at the Rutnin and found to be well vasculated with no signs of detachment. Despite those things, I still have flashes to one side of the eye in the dark and have fairly recently experienced increasing spiders webs which are only noticeable in bright light. A follow up visit with Dr Roy two weeks ago shows no change to six months prior although it's likely I may go back for another check this month.

It seems that treatment is fairly high risk and is only done as a last resort, it's better to live with slightly obscured vision than to risk intervention. If ever the retina starts to peel and a curtain descends, that's the time to have the procedure. What stage are you at? Sorry, I don't have costs details yet because I'm not to that stage. I am considering having the lens replaced in my other eye because of cataracts, that will leave me with one good eye, potentially, if the worst happens.

• Like 1

Try King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital

I had an eye problem a couple of years ago and after visiting BNH about 10 times finally one eye doctor in BNH recognized the problem. She was in BNH once a week for just one hour and the rest of the time she works in above hospital.

She arranged that I can see her in that hospital and she "fixed" my problem.

With a similar problem I would go there again even if I have to wait for hours in crowded rooms.

Maybe give it a try.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, transam said:

I went to BKK for a retina fix, they were talking 250,000bht, was given information to get it fixed at the gov Queens hospital in Khon Kaen. Which I did. It entails registering at the hospital to get to see the head eye honcho, a professor, nice bloke, perfect English.

Took all day, but he operated that very night. I had the eye emptied and filled with gas, under local anaesthetic, not nice, but it worked, though had to spend 2 weeks looking at the floor, day and night.

I was in hospital for 4 days,  total cost was 66,000bht, a very big cost difference..That was 4 years back....

P.S. He used laser and nitrous oxide to do the repair, he thought one or the other, but had to use both..The N2O was very painful...

Thanks for info...had the gas under local in UK as previous tear was on top of eye so fortunately had to sit upright and not face down.

That's why their recommending heavy oil to allow me not to have to lie face down....

Planning to head to Khon Kaen tomorrow...hopefully I'll be able to see your professor.

It's that or hop on a plane and go to Moorfields eye hospital (again) in London. 

4 minutes ago, gavlar said:

Thanks for info...had the gas under local in UK as previous tear was on top of eye so fortunately had to sit upright and not face down.

That's why their recommending heavy oil to allow me not to have to lie face down....

Planning to head to Khon Kaen tomorrow...hopefully I'll be able to see your professor.

It's that or hop on a plane and go to Moorfields eye hospital (again) in London. 

I was warned that the hospital is a nightmare, they were right, I have never seen so many people in one place being ushered around like sheep.

I stayed in a hotel to get to the hozzy early, think 7.30, it was packed then. I saw the Prof at I think 4.30pm...????

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

I went to BKK for a retina fix, they were talking 250,000bht, was given information to get it fixed at the gov Queens hospital in Khon Kaen. Which I did. It entails registering at the hospital to get to see the head eye honcho, a professor, nice bloke, perfect English.

Took all day, but he operated that very night. I had the eye emptied and filled with gas, under local anaesthetic, not nice, but it worked, though had to spend 2 weeks looking at the floor, day and night.

I was in hospital for 4 days,  total cost was 66,000bht, a very big cost difference..That was 4 years back....

P.S. He used laser and nitrous oxide to do the repair, he thought one or the other, but had to use both..The N2O was very painful...

1 hour ago, gavlar said:

Interesting and confusing that you guys have both been through the procedure yet I'm being told it's high risk and to wait, I'm not sure what to think on this point.

For the benefit of others who may be reading this thread:

https://www.moorfields.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/Flashes and floaters.pdf

"Flashes of light or black floaters that look like spiders or tadpoles are quite commonly seen by people with normal eyes. They occur because of changes in the vitreous jelly, which lies directly in front of the retina. Any changes in the vitreous jelly can give rise to the appearance of floaters but does not usually lead to any serious problems. No treatment is therefore necessary".

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, gavlar said:

I had two retinal tears diagnosed while having a check up at Rutnin.

The doctor took me upstairs immediately and repaired them both with laser.

After treatment, I left the hospital, and even managed to catch my flight back to Samui. No exercise or anything strenuous for a month, then back for a check up. Next check up in June.

I think everything, eye test, check up and laser treatment came to about 15,000THB.

Might be cheaper than flying back to Moorfields. After all, Rutnin is an eye hospital as well.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, steve187 said:

i came down the stairs one morning and saw a large flash like a car windscreen reflecting off the sun, went to BH Rayong and was told all ok come back in a week, before the week was up i completely lost sight in one eye, just seeing black, went back to BH Rayong and was told detached retina, i lost confidence in that hospital and on the advice of my stepson went to Rama hospital where a DR was aware i was on my way and she waited, she did the op the following day at EENT hospital, 

done mess with your eyes it's frightening to lose sight in one eye, i have full vision now

Interesting. My retinal tear was misdiagnosed at first by what was supposed to be a professor of Ophthalmology and a retinal expert but who later turned out to be a student who was subbing one Saturday afternoon. All fine she said, normal. Three weeks later during the follow up visit with the real deal (which I almost didn't bother going to), the tear was instantly spotted and said expert panicked, laser now, quickly. I'd already waited one week after the floater first appeared because I hadn't understand the significance so repair was four weeks late. The following day I had the laser repair but quickly lost all confidence in the expert and headed South to Bangkok and the Rutnin. There's something warming about being under the care of someone who is genuinely expert.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

The best eye facility in Issan is the Eye Clinic at Khon Kaen University Hospital (Srinagarind).

There are a variety of treatment approaches to detached retina and it needs a retinal expert to determine the best approach for a specific case.

Thanks Sheryl...went today got appt for tomorrow afternoon 

22 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

I'm going through similar currently and have been seeing Dr Roy at the Rutnin. I tore my retina which was lasered at a private hospital in Chiang Mai after some considerable delay, through not fault of my own. Both retina's were photographed at the Rutnin and found to be well vasculated with no signs of detachment. Despite those things, I still have flashes to one side of the eye in the dark and have fairly recently experienced increasing spiders webs which are only noticeable in bright light. A follow up visit with Dr Roy two weeks ago shows no change to six months prior although it's likely I may go back for another check this month.

It seems that treatment is fairly high risk and is only done as a last resort, it's better to live with slightly obscured vision than to risk intervention. If ever the retina starts to peel and a curtain descends, that's the time to have the procedure. What stage are you at? Sorry, I don't have costs details yet because I'm not to that stage. I am considering having the lens replaced in my other eye because of cataracts, that will leave me with one good eye, potentially, if the worst happens.

Hi...mine definitely detatched and higher risk to leave it detatched as you can lose your sight completely... 

Had both lens replaced about 7 years ago 1 longsighted and 1 shortsighted and the brain sorts it out. Had a detatched retina about 2 years ago that was repaired at Moorfields London and was perfect.

This detachment is bottom the previous one upper.

I'll update when I get sorted..

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Interesting and confusing that you guys have both been through the procedure yet I'm being told it's high risk and to wait, I'm not sure what to think on this point.

I think if you have an actual detachment you should seek a second opinion....the recommendation in the UK is you should get it fixed asap as the re-attachment is generally stronger when caught early...

6 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Interesting. My retinal tear was misdiagnosed at first by what was supposed to be a professor of Ophthalmology and a retinal expert but who later turned out to be a student who was subbing one Saturday afternoon. All fine she said, normal. Three weeks later during the follow up visit with the real deal (which I almost didn't bother going to), the tear was instantly spotted and said expert panicked, laser now, quickly. I'd already waited one week after the floater first appeared because I hadn't understand the significance so repair was four weeks late. The following day I had the laser repair but quickly lost all confidence in the expert and headed South to Bangkok and the Rutnin. There's something warming about being under the care of someone who is genuinely expert.

My repair surgeon was at a gov hospital, he is a Professor in the field. His sister is also a Professor in the field at Siph Hospital, BKK..????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, gavlar said:

I think if you have an actual detachment you should seek a second opinion....the recommendation in the UK is you should get it fixed asap as the re-attachment is generally stronger when caught early...

I'm being treated by Dr Roy at the Rutnin in Bangkok who is about as expert in this field as anyone. I saw him two weeks ago when he assessed that all was fine except my symptoms changed last week whilst on holiday in bright sunlight. I wrote to Dr Roy to ask what I should do and he replied today saying that the excessive spiders webs and flashing is consistent with vitreous contamination (my term) and that at some point in the future, if/when the lens is replaced, the contamination can be removed. Whether or not there is an element of posterior retinal detachment is unclear.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

I'm being treated by Dr Roy at the Rutnin in Bangkok who is about as expert in this field as anyone. I saw him two weeks ago when he assessed that all was fine except my symptoms changed last week whilst on holiday in bright sunlight. I wrote to Dr Roy to ask what I should do and he replied today saying that the excessive spiders webs and flashing is consistent with vitreous contamination (my term) and that at some point in the future, if/when the lens is replaced, the contamination can be removed. Whether or not there is an element of posterior retinal detachment is unclear.

I had 2 cataracts done at an army hospital here, near where I live, over a month.

The first op I went back after a few weeks of the second op to tell the surgeon about a 'grey' patch in my vision, was told all is OK. It got bigger, got in touch with the hospital to see the doc again, told not for a month. Went to a known eye shop in town, she said you do have a detached retina, you must fly down to BKK to get it fixed, there is nowhere nearby with the expertise to do it.

That is when I went to BKK and given the info that Khon Kaen now has the tech and will save a lot of money, which I did... 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, gavlar said:

Hi all and thanks for replies..seen Prof Tan today at Khon Kaen...op on Friday morning. Mix of laser and gas injection ...circa 50% of cost of Bangkok hospital....not that cost is the ultimate driving factor when it comes to your health but Prof Tan also generated a great  deal of confidence...perfect english and a bit of a livewire.

Well done.

11 hours ago, gavlar said:

Hi all and thanks for replies..seen Prof Tan today at Khon Kaen...op on Friday morning. Mix of laser and gas injection ...circa 50% of cost of Bangkok hospital....not that cost is the ultimate driving factor when it comes to your health but Prof Tan also generated a great  deal of confidence...perfect english and a bit of a livewire.

Thanks for the update. Did you go through private or public channel?

On 3/15/2023 at 9:59 AM, Sheryl said:

Thanks for the update. Did you go through private or public channel?

Hi...the eye clinic (no.5) was rammed Monday and could not take anymore people that day. You cannot book an appointment in the day clinic...just queue.

You then have an option to book for an evening clinic which you do in a different building and basically also register yourself in the hospital.

That evenings clinic was also full so I booked an appointment for the following evening.

You then on the day have to pick up your file where you registered, collect your "hospital card" and your appointment ticket.

Then back to main Eye clinic (5) where you give your file and then wait to see the doctor. 

You then discuss fix procedures options and they agree surgery date and cost...then down to surgery building to check in for operation date and overnight room and arrange Covid test on op day.

Just arrived...done covid test and awaiting result. Into room midday and op tonight 7pm.

There did not appear to be a "private" route or fast track.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, gavlar said:

Hi...the eye clinic (no.5) was rammed Monday and could not take anymore people that day. You cannot book an appointment in the day clinic...just queue.

You then have an option to book for an evening clinic which you do in a different building and basically also register yourself in the hospital.

That evenings clinic was also full so I booked an appointment for the following evening.

You then on the day have to pick up your file where you registered, collect your "hospital card" and your appointment ticket.

Then back to main Eye clinic (5) where you give your file and then wait to see the doctor. 

You then discuss fix procedures options and they agree surgery date and cost...then down to surgery building to check in for operation date and overnight room and arrange Covid test on op day.

Just arrived...done covid test and awaiting result. Into room midday and op tonight 7pm.

There did not appear to be a "private" route or fast track.

Actually the evening clinic is  private channel. While still crowded, faster than public channel and most impirtantly kets yoh be treated direcyly by senior dictor.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...
On 3/12/2023 at 9:05 PM, airbalance said:

Another place to look at is on asoke in Bangkok, Rutnin Eye Hospital. If anything, to get a quotation to see what it would cost?

A July quote from Rutnin was 230k from information I have received - but actual cost of operation was 140k.  Expect will vary depending condition when undergoing treatment.  In this case treatment was reportedly gas injection operation and first week scheduled five medications many times a day and doctor visits for at least 2 weeks.

• Thanks 1

On 3/14/2023 at 10:24 PM, gavlar said:

Yep nice bloke....????