Why are you in any other country other than Thailand?

As this is now a Asian based forum rather than just Thailand, I want to know what keeps you in the country your in .(except Thailand)

You guys retired in the Philippines, Vietnam, Indonesia etc what keeps you there? Why ?

Granted this question is mostly for older guys over 60

You guys in other Asian countries,what keeps you there ,better life,work,cheap ?

Whatever , where are you and what keeps you there ?

What about you guys who have no intention of living in Asia ,the answer is why ?

What keeps you in Oz ,UK or America ? 

I mean there is some guys over 70 who prefer to Stay in the Western countries ,the question is why ?

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Very true about social connections

I had a workmate back in 2019 retire to Pattaya 65yo ,had been talking about it for years in excitement

About a year later just before covid he was on the WhatsApp depressed in a video call to me .

He was living in a studio room in jomtien beach all by himself, the first few months were great then he was lonely, just getting by on paid  girls to visit him.

He ended up coming back to Australia and wanted his job back 

Some people just can't get by with their own company. All they have to do is go to the local bar and within minutes they'll have a walt giving them their life history. That's what I found anyway, before I met the missus.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, terryofcrete said:

Too many health issues as one gets older and these are treated free at home. The older you get the the more you pay for insurance, or are refused. It doesn't take me long to get tired of the heat, the food, the ladies and the broken or non existent footpaths, not in any particular order. Once I start losing tolerance on any given day it's time for me to go home , usually a month at a time is good but now with the expensive flights it's looking like less time in LOS  . 

Your in Crete??

Not a country you hear a lot about ,I bet many of you don't even know where it is ????

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, terryofcrete said:

Too many health issues as one gets older and these are treated free at home. The older you get the the more you pay for insurance, or are refused. It doesn't take me long to get tired of the heat, the food, the ladies and the broken or non existent footpaths, not in any particular order. Once I start losing tolerance on any given day it's time for me to go home , usually a month at a time is good but now with the expensive flights it's looking like less time in LOS  . 

Agree with everything you said 

• Like 1

Agreed on some of the negatives. I can spy the old age health cover issues under 50 just now.

Am in UK right now, and enjoying being able to breathe vs pea soup air of Chiang Mai. No link to a long-term g/f and I'd be rolling up my relatively nice 10 years or so in Thailand on to fresh fields.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

But if you are all the time in Thailand then you are used to the food, the heat, the footpath, etc.

The "confusion" only happens if you compare A to B. 

13 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Well as many posters said it is about security, I moved back to my home country after living in Thailand for a number of years, being an OAP I get free medical care, free hospital, cheap medication a good pension, subsidised rent, electricity, free bus or train rides, no need for me to do all the reports to the immigration, I never regret I moved back. 

Out of interest, why do you participate in this "Thai" forum?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, still kicking said:

you live in a city of 2 million like I do?

Canberra (actually a NSW town next door, but effectively a suburb of Canberra). Population around 400,000. Only time air’s not so clean is on still winter nights when wood fuel stoves are being used.

• Love It 1

4 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

Canberra (actually a NSW town next door, but effectively a suburb of Canberra). Population around 400,000. Only time air’s not so clean is on still winter nights when wood fuel stoves are being used.

We don't have wood stoves anymore well maybe a few but they have been banned years a go and yes, I live in OZ.

Edited by still kicking
  • Like 1