The carnage continues: Five children die in road accidents in 24 hours in NE

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath highlighted three dreadful accidents that occurred yesterday and today in Surin.

One child was killed by a flying sack after his relative driving the truck fell asleep.

In another a drunk pick-up driver killed two motorcycle riding kids "he didn't see on the left".

In another two boys were killed in a head on smash with a pick-up.

Six were injured.

The first accident in their report occured on the Thappanee Bridge in Salakdai sub-district.

Thaweelert, 30, driving a pick-up with 70 mg of alcohol, over the limit, went into the back of a Yamaha bike.

Suphamit, 14, and Aphinan, 11, had multiple injuries and fractures.

Thaweelert said he didn't see the bike.

He was charged with DUI and negligent vehicular homicide.

The second incident was a six wheel truck carrying red earth sacks in Phra Kaew sub-district.

The driver drove off the road after having a "lap nai" or microsleep. 14 year old Suklawat in the back was killed by a flying sack.

The 31 year old driver was among six family members injured aged 2, 16, 20,22 and 25.

The third accident occurred in Wangdan sub-district where and Isuzu pick-up collided head on with a Honda bike.

This killed Thammathorn, 14, and Aphiwat, 13, on the spot.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-03-13

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 9

24 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

I asked the wife how old the kids have to be to ride a motorbike?...….she said in Isaan as soon as they don't fall off they are old enough.......near us I would say most are about 12 to 13 when they start to ride......parents must buy them AND the modified exhausts they all have fitted.

You neglected to mention the mandatory removal of the 'uncool' mirrors...

• Like 1

This is  a never ending subject in Thailand 

People injured and dying everyday in accidents whether its  motor bikes  cars trucks pickups and so on ????

What's the solution road safety wearing of crash helmets 

Plenty of talk but nothing changes ????

• Like 2

I came back from Surin yesterday morning/afternoon. I saw the aftermath of at least 2 road accidents. With kids 13-15 at 2/3 of them on bikes speeding without helmets I was surprised only this many die.

Overloaded vehicles and a devil may care attitude

Police who see nothing

What do they expect?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Legally it is 15.

Any younger, death and injury falls directly onto the shoulders of the <deleted> <deleted> parents.

13 year old died just last week......coming back from school, clear, dry conditions.....smacked into the back of a tractor/trailer........probably on his phone!!!

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, G Rex said:

You neglected to mention the mandatory removal of the 'uncool' mirrors...

.....and no helmet (obvs).....plus......... either no lights or any variety of blinking coloured lights that take your fancy

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, G Rex said:

Yes - especially the tail light delete - to make other road users more attentive - moreso at night 

I can only conclude the essential safety feature of the tail light is deliberately removed rather than just negligently not replaced . My 8 year old Honda scooter hasn’t had a single bulb failure but I see many newer ones without that light. ????‍♂️ 

7 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Staggering how many drive cars and motorbikes with no lights........where we are at any rate.

They are so dim (their ???? that is) they reason as long as they can see in front of them then they too can be seen without lights. ????‍♂️ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

They would not be dead or injured if their stupid parents did some actual parenting.

Rubbish. They were hit from behind by a pick up truck whose driver was drunk. And you blame the parents???

• Like 1