Recent Marriage "o" In Penang?

Hey all! My first post here... This should be an easy few questions and I hope somebody has correct information.

I live in Bangkok, have a Thai wife and for the last 5 years have just been going down to Penang, Malaysia every ~15 months to secure a new marriage-based multiple entry Non-Immigrant "O" visa.

I've gotten 4 of these in a row by just showing up with a copy of our American marriage license, a signed copy of her Thai ID and her passport photo page, the application form and the fee, now 500 Ringgit.

Every time before I go I call the consulate down there and they tell me to bring all of the above, plus my financial information. And every time I show up without the financial information and get my visa with no problems, not even being asked where that paperwork is...

Now, the questions:

1) If things are supposed to be so strict now, am I likely to skate through again when I go next time in December 2004?

2) How have I been skating through all this time? (Can't be good looks and charm because I have neither.)

3) Since I can't document my money, how much do I have to donate to the young man at the front counter of the Penang consulate to make things happen despite the lack of financials?

4) If Penang is now a paragon of virtue, where else in the region can I get the same visa with no hassles for the financials?

FWIW, I wouldn't want a one-year in-country extension even if I could show the financials. My visa runs are too much fun.

You did not give us any indication of your age (except you enjoy the time away). If you are under 50 I would suspect you will not obtain another anywhere in the immediate region but that is only a guess as things change almost daily.

If we could answer you we would be spending more time picking lottery numbers. :o

Well, thanks for the reply, but I don't know what my age would have to do with much since I'm not applying for a retirement visa. Can you explain why you think it matters to the consulate staff?

If you must know, I'm a virile early 40's though most Thais take me for late 20's or early 30's. And, yeah, I lied before; I do have good looks and charm. So much for modesty. Visa runs through Udon Thani are just too much fun once you know where to look and Penang sort of same-same. :o

I think I may have found my answer over here link with BerndM's question and the good Doctor's reply.

Why do you hold the contrary opinion? I'm looking for a range of different thoughts here.

Why do you hold the contrary opinion? I'm looking for a range of different thoughts here.

I'm not sure I do. Pat advised what has been the practice (bank account not needed) and as your experience has been. I believe policy on this visa class is changing due to abuse, but as I also said only time will tell.

Hey all! My first post here... This should be an easy few questions and I hope somebody has correct information.

I live in Bangkok, have a Thai wife and for the last 5 years have just been going down to Penang, Malaysia every ~15 months to secure a new marriage-based multiple entry Non-Immigrant "O" visa.

I've gotten 4 of these in a row by just showing up with a copy of our American marriage license, a signed copy of her Thai ID and her passport photo page, the application form and the fee, now 500 Ringgit.

Every time before I go I call the consulate down there and they tell me to bring all of the above, plus my financial information. And every time I show up without the financial information and get my visa with no problems, not even being asked where that paperwork is...

Now, the questions:

1) If things are supposed to be so strict now, am I likely to skate through again when I go next time in December 2004?

2) How have I been skating through all this time? (Can't be good looks and charm because I have neither.)

3) Since I can't document my money, how much do I have to donate to the young man at the front counter of the Penang consulate to make things happen despite the lack of financials?

4) If Penang is now a paragon of virtue, where else in the region can I get the same visa with no hassles for the financials?

FWIW, I wouldn't want a one-year in-country extension even if I could show the financials. My visa runs are too much fun.

It'll all be down to those good looks and charm. You'll find that all Thai Embassies and Consulates in the SEA region are likely to be paragons of virtue these days, particularly once they get the idea that you are avoiding the financial obligations required for extensions. Your nearest multi entry availability is likely to be in Australia.

The problem with the regulations is that they assume either

1. You have a regular, certifiable, income from overseas

2. You can get together $10,000 in a lump sum to put in the bank on the right day

If you are like me, with an irregular income from contract work it can be difficult

doing either of these. I bring in around 1 mliion a year, and can show the exchange records, but it does not fit in the neat rules of Immigration.

That is why I have been on multi-entry O for the last 3 years.

What to do now is a real quandry.