Fuji Vs. Zen Restaurant....

Weho

Someone can explain me what's so special about that 10.000 baht + a kilo steak they sell in those japanese restaurants.

Its full of fat!

Then lard should be worth its weight in gold?

Marketing seems to think so! Maybe they should also expand their promotions to include Slim! Bar fine one of our coyotes for 15k & receive an authentic shabu mizumati steak, specially slected from one of a hundred cows that receive daily massages & only drink sake. :o:D

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe suiging is saying that a better alternative to eating faux Japanese food while enriching Bangkok fat cats is to eat reasonably priced Thai food while enriching your neighbors, i.e. local non-chain restaurants.

How about if I'm BORED with Thai food? :o

I like to complain too. In a quiet and condecending fashion. I like asking the manager if it's "too difficult for them".

As for your mushroom debacle, I have had a similar thing. I don't have a sweet tooth so when I order lemon soda I ask for no sugar. Just soda and lemon juice. The amount of times I am simply not beleived and they load it up with sugar and I have to hand it back to them and tell them to knock it off my bill as it is not what I ordered.

I was even asked by one person "how can I do?" I took her hand and said "just at the point you going to pour sugar into my drink. Stop"

Weho, with the cost of a lunch set at Fuji at around 150 baht, why would you expect them to make any changes? That's why they sell most of the items seperate at much higher prices for people like you who are very difficult to please. :o

That's probably because you don't understand how Japanese programming works. No deviations.

It's been studied, tested, set, and now the staff has to do 1-2 and back 2-1 and back 1-2....

If you see any flexibility - that means no Japanese manager on site. That may mean bad standards in the kitchen, sloppy staff, open for cheating.... The flexibility, as a sign of customer service never EVER happen in Japan. If it did, the patrons would lose confidence in the establishment.

By the way, what's the attraction with that crap food anyway?

Edit: just remembered: Thai restaurants in Tokyo. Tom Yum Gung, I don't eat prawns and, in the beginning, I was asking that my soup comes with no prawns.

No sir. You can take them out when we serve the soup.

Could the prawns be replaced with mushrooms ("Tom Yum Hed") - no sir.

Why not, you have the mushrooms in some of your salads, they are at hand, why not? No sir, our spec says it must be like that.

Edited by think_too_mut

I don't have a sweet tooth so when I order lemon soda I ask for no sugar. Just soda and lemon juice.

Weirdos like you ruin it for the rest of us. :D

I HATE the places that serve lemonade with no liquid sugar and you have to try to get cristalized sugar to melt properly, but it won't! :o

Can you please point me to a Mon & Pop establishment that sells reasonably priced, edible Japanese food?

Thanks

(might have the quotes mixed up abit)

I haven't experienced Zen or Fuji, but have eaten a couple of times at a small Japanese restaurant beside TukCom. Don't recall the name off the top of my head.

Not being an expert, I thought the food/service/pricing was OK. They had a good selection and service. Small place (8 tables maybe ?) and would definitely be in the "mom & pop" category.

It's located on soi DayNight 2. When you turn onto DayNight 2 from South Pattaya Road (between the bank and TukCom), the restaurant is on the left side, about 50 meters or so in.

I can't compare it to other Japanese restaurants, so who knows ? Maybe it's good, maybe not.

Can you please point me to a Mon & Pop establishment that sells reasonably priced, edible Japanese food?

Thanks

I haven't experienced Zen or Fuji, but have eaten a couple of times at a small Japanese restaurant beside TukCom. Don't recall the name off the top of my head.

Not being an expert, I thought the food/service/pricing was OK. They had a good selection and service. Small place (8 tables maybe ?) and would definitely be in the "mom & pop" category.

It's located on soi DayNight 2. When you turn onto DayNight 2 from South Pattaya Road (between the bank and TukCom), the restaurant is on the left side, about 50 meters or so in.

I can't compare it to other Japanese restaurants, so who knows ? Maybe it's good, maybe not.

Thanks

I am a Japanese American and the Japanese Americans I know think the food at Fuji's is without taste! I prefer Zen over Fuji's. However, a restaurant called "Osaka" by the Tuk.com building on South Pattaya road has a small menu but a far better taste than the others. It has regulars from Japan living here and the manager who comes at 6pm is from Japan. They have Japanese newspapers and music. The food is served with only chop sticks so don't expect a fork and a spoon. They are closed on Thursdays and are open from 5pm to 11pm.

I am a Japanese American and the Japanese Americans I know think the food at Fuji's is without taste! I prefer Zen over Fuji's. However, a restaurant called "Osaka" by the Tuk.com building on South Pattaya road has a small menu but a far better taste than the others. It has regulars from Japan living here and the manager who comes at 6pm is from Japan. They have Japanese newspapers and music. The food is served with only chop sticks so don't expect a fork and a spoon. They are closed on Thursdays and are open from 5pm to 11pm.

Where exactly is this restaurant? Im interested in checking out out... Please let me know, Thankyou ! :o

Go to TukCom on Pattaya Tai.

Facing Tukcom, go up the street on the left side of the mall.

The Japanese place is on the left hand side of that street in that first block (across from TukCom).

I think that small place is about to get some real business!

I haven't eaten there yet either, but worth trying based on above recommendation.

Edited by Jingthing

I must say I am most impressed with your knowledge of fatty acids... well done. But if you cook salmon, i don't think you lose ALL of the health benefits. i'm guessing you lose 10%.

How do you feel about mackerel?

I'm sure if you cook the salmon you'll lose all the omega 3 because it starts to degrade above 25°C, but some of the other fatty acids will remain intact...some further study required....

Omega 3 is so unsaturated, it's just waiting to suck up oxygen.

The reason I don't eat cooked salmon is really because I just don't like the taste of it and I find it too rich (oily).

Although I don't like mackerel, but it's a lot drier than salmon with less oil.

Where exactly is this restaurant? Im interested in checking out out... Please let me know, Thankyou ! :o

Here is a map showing the location:

post-16137-1183601519_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the tip. I'll be giving them a go real soon and I shall report back here.

I'd be interested in hearing what other people have to say about the place. I liked it the couple of times I was there, but I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to food, and haven't eaten at any other Japanese places, so I can't compare quality or prices.

I don't have a sweet tooth so when I order lemon soda I ask for no sugar. Just soda and lemon juice.

I HATE the places that serve lemonade with no liquid sugar and you have to try to get cristalized sugar to melt properly, but it won't! :o

I love soda with a bit of lemon juice ....and it is possibly one of the most difficult things to order...

Most of the time they add sugar, salt, both, or just a SLICE of lemon!!

I love soda with a bit of lemon juice ....and it is possibly one of the most difficult things to order...

Most of the time they add sugar, salt, both, or just a SLICE of lemon!!

Naam ma naao is one of my favourite drinks but I can't have sugar in it as I'm diabetic. Many's the time I and/or my wife has requested that they don't put sugar, and they smile and say 'OK', but when it comes, it's full of sugar.

These days I've more or less given up trying, unless I'm in a bar and I can see what they do. Incidentally, for those in a similar position, I always carry a few sachets of 'equal' powder with me, which can be put in these drinks to sweeten them a little, and can even be used as a substitute for sugar in a bowl of noodles. :D

Back on topic - That Jap restaurant near Tuk Com sounds interesting - I'll give it a try. I too love sushi and sashimi.

Anyone been to the Yo chain? You sit at a large counter and the dishes comes round on a conveyor belt and you take what you want? All colour coded for price, and prepared freshly right in front of you. They even had a robot that came round serving drinks! I used to eat there in England. I know it is a genuine Japanese chain - the guy who started became a multi millionaire (so I'm sure suiging would disapprove) and he died not that long ago. I've never been to Japan, but I assume they are all over the place there? Be nice if they had something like that here - or maybe they do?

• 3 weeks later...

Just a followup to this recommendation: Osaka Japanese restaurant adjacent to Tukcom.

I've had quite a few meals there now and love it. The food is great - so good in fact that I've given up on Fuji and Zen unless I need steak...which they don't serve. The chicken is orgasmic and if you like fresh salmon sashimi - it's the best.

The service is very good (friendly and good English skills) and it's run/owned by a very personable Japanese guy who values his customers...very clean too.

This is one mom & pop restaurant worth visiting if you need/like Japanese food.

Note: closed on Thursdays. Open 5pm till 11pm.

Edited by tropo

Where exactly is this restaurant? Im interested in checking out out... Please let me know, Thankyou ! :D

Just a followup to this recommendation: Osaka Japanese restaurant adjacent to Tukcom.

I've had quite a few meals there now and love it. The food is great - so good in fact that I've given up on Fuji and Zen unless I need steak...which they don't serve. The chicken is orgasmic and if you like fresh salmon sashimi - it's the best.

The service is very good (friendly and good English skills) and it's run/owned by a very personable Japanese guy who values his customers...very clean too.

This is one mom & pop restaurant worth visiting if you need/like Japanese food.

Note: closed on Thursdays. Open 5pm till 11pm.

Going tomorrow :o

Walked past Osaka yesterday on my way back from the market. I remembered this thread and was going to search it out, as I didn't recall anyone giving any reviews in the almost 3 weeks since my last post.

Good to hear (from Tropo) that it is a worthwhile establishment. As I mentioned previously, I've eaten there on numerous occasions, but not at any other Japanese places, so I couldn't make any comparisons. I remember the owner asking me last time, why so many farangs liked the "combination" special. I ordered it because it gave you a little bit of everything (well, not everything, but a good selection of different things). Better than ordering something seperately and finding out you don't like it.

Guess I'll have to drop in again in the near future though. Good thing it's less than 3 blocks away !

Walked past Osaka yesterday on my way back from the market. I remembered this thread and was going to search it out, as I didn't recall anyone giving any reviews in the almost 3 weeks since my last post.

Good to hear (from Tropo) that it is a worthwhile establishment. As I mentioned previously, I've eaten there on numerous occasions, but not at any other Japanese places, so I couldn't make any comparisons. I remember the owner asking me last time, why so many farangs liked the "combination" special. I ordered it because it gave you a little bit of everything (well, not everything, but a good selection of different things). Better than ordering something seperately and finding out you don't like it.

Guess I'll have to drop in again in the near future though. Good thing it's less than 3 blocks away !

It has become my regular evening diner lately. I've not yet ordered the combo meal as I prefer to order what I like seperately.

The thing I really like is the owner's flexibility and desire to please his customers. I asked him if he could serve me 6 pieces of tamago (egg) sushi as it's not on the regular menu. It was no problem at all for him and he charged me only 100 baht! The same 6 pieces would have cost me 181.50 baht at Fuji and 165 at Zen (including 10% service charge) and it tasted better at Osaka.

Fruit and hot/cold green tea (bottomless) is served free with all meals.

I went to Zen on sunday night with the wife and I have to say I wasn't that impressed, I found Fuji alot better and cheaper. :o

Tried the place today and have to agree.

The sushi was good but I think because of the sheer volume Fuji deals in their sushi is fresher and they have the killer fresh wasbi plus you get a bunch of food items with their set meals.

Osaka does give free Nam Cha tea & does not work you for a 10% service fee. They will alter their menu to suit you when you order a set meal, something Fuji would not do even for a renowned food critic like Weho.

I went to Zen on sunday night with the wife and I have to say I wasn't that impressed, I found Fuji alot better and cheaper. :o

Tried the place today and have to agree.

The sushi was good but I think because of the sheer volume Fuji deals in their sushi is fresher and they have the killer fresh wasbi plus you get a bunch of food items with their set meals.

Osaka does give free Nam Cha tea & does not work you for a 10% service fee. They will alter their menu to suit you when you order a set meal, something Fuji would not do even for a renowned food critic like Weho.

I'm a bit confused--do you mean that Fuji has fresher sushi than Zen or Osaka?