Fuji Vs. Zen Restaurant....

Weho

The staff at ZEN, 3rd floor Royal Garden, are better trained, and friendllier (maybe just better acting), than the Fuji staff at their BIG C location on Sukumvit Road. But the REAL difference, and this is after dining at both places DOZENS of times is that Fuji will NEVER NEVER NEVER allow any kind of substitution, or deviation from the menu, at any time, ever, for any price. ZEN, on the other hand, will work with the farang.

I like Fuji's small side salad that comes with the salmon steak set. But since that item isn't on the menu, it's only available with the set. I've tried to order additional ones, they won't do it... ever. I've offered 100 baht they wouldn't take it. They didn't want any part of it. Also, on the salmon steak set, it comes with yucky mushrooms that I can't stand, some weird kim-chee type material, and miso soup, that I don't want. I've tried to "trade" all those unwanted items for one additional side salad, they won't go for it. And Fuji is cheap with the teriyaki sauce, they give about a tablespoon.

ZEN will work with you... on THEIR salmon set, it's no problem to "hold the shrooms"... I didn't even ask, but when I said "NO MUSHROOMS", they added a second portion of the asparagus... yummy!

And ZEN seems more like a real restaurant... they have sort of a hostess type person, in a nicely fit Thai silk... Fuji just has all their employees wearing the same schmatas.

I do like Fuji's "lunch special", where they throw in the fruit plate and a tablespoon of coffee or tea, in a toy teacup... not sure if ZEN has any lunch specials. I go there for dinner.

There are quite a few ZEN restaurants in Bangkok... Oh, another good thing about ZEN: if you order the chicken teriyaki (I always take the skin off), it comes with a salad... but I always ask them to put the salad on a separate plate, cause I don't like the cold salad and dressings, mixing with the hot teriyaki sauce of the chicken... seems odd to put a hot and a cold item on the same plate... and ZEN always does two places, at my request, with no hesitation, "no lip", no arguments, no committee meetings like FUJI seems to have for every little thing.

And Fuji's loyalty program is too complicated to figure out... you need a math degree... really. ZEN has some punchcard program, but i toss them out every time cause i'm too lazy to remember to bring an old already-punched/stamped card.

But I do get annoyed with ZEN's menu system... when you sit down, they throw like 5 different MASSIVE menus at you, broken down into different categories that don't make sense to me. Fuji's menu is a bit easier to deal with. And I do like Fuji always supplying the yellow pen and comment paper. I filled one out a while back, but they ignored my request to stop playing the koto music, played to French songs... Yes, it's true... And I like how Fuji always has an armed guard out front... I guess they don't want to deal with the Yakuza folks.

I'm invited to a 4th of July "fondue fling" wednesday... not sure what that means, but it sounds a bit dirty if you ask me.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, Zen has better food, no doubt, and thats pretty much all I care about if the price is OK too. I am not big on chains, but I will tolerate Zen, but Fuji to me isn't worth going to at all. I wouldn't have even noticed all those other fine points, so thanks for another entertaining Weho moment.

Yeah, Zen has better food, no doubt, and thats pretty much all I care about if the price is OK too. I am not big on chains, but I will tolerate Zen, but Fuji to me isn't worth going to at all. I wouldn't have even noticed all those other fine points, so thanks for another entertaining Weho moment.

I've frequented all 3 Fuji Restaurants many times and my least favourite of the 3 is the one at Big C on 2nd Road. I find the food at the Sukhumvit Big C Fuji to be the best with the best customer service. The staff at 2nd road and Carrefour are all quite surly, but for the value and quality of food I don't care.

The sushi is not very good in any of the Fujis and way overpriced; only the lunch and dinner sets are good value.

Weho, with the cost of a lunch set at Fuji at around 150 baht, why would you expect them to make any changes? That's why they sell most of the items seperate at much higher prices for people like you who are very difficult to please. :o

I've frequented all 3 Fuji Restaurants many times and my least favourite of the 3 is the one at Big C on 2nd Road. I find the food at the Sukhumvit Big C Fuji to be the best with the best customer service. The staff at 2nd road and Carrefour are all quite surly, but for the value and quality of food I don't care.

The sushi is not very good in any of the Fujis and way overpriced; only the lunch and dinner sets are good value.

Weho, with the cost of a lunch set at Fuji at around 150 baht, why would you expect them to make any changes? That's why they sell most of the items seperate at much higher prices for people like you who are very difficult to please. :o

Is "no mushrooms" really a request that would somehow cut into their costs? If anything, I save them money by refusing certain included side-dishes, but the request is too difficult for them to comprehend sometimes. It's not like I said, "can I give back this cooked mini tomato, and can you substitute it with another salmon steak?"

Also, I would add the size of the salmon steak is a little bigger at ZEN than Fuji.

I recall, several years ago, over in Amerigay, there is a coffee shop chain over there called "International House of Pancakes", or "IHOP" for those "in the know"... and they had the most generous and liberal substitution policy... you could basically substitute anything, and the serving personnel had some chart where financial adjustments could be made... and the substitution amounts were always small, and always odd amounts... like if you ordered a hamburger that came with fries, and you substituted the fries for say sliced tomatos, you would be charged an additional 17 cents... of if you ordered the German pancakes, that came with 3 pancakes, and you substituted ONE of the pancakes for say a slice of ham, it was an additional 27 cents, etc.

I'm not suggesting FUJI should go that far, but their inflexible policy is unreasonable... they can't even comprehend when someone says "don't bring me the mushrooms".

And I can't distinguish between the food quality and service quality at the different Fuji branches in town... they all seem about the same to me. Although the guard at the BIG C Sukumvit location is the most friendly guard... and that's important to me in a faux Japanese inflexible faux restaurant.

And I can't distinguish between the food quality and service quality at the different Fuji branches in town... they all seem about the same to me. Although the guard at the BIG C Sukumvit location is the most friendly guard... and that's important to me in a faux Japanese inflexible faux restaurant.

When you've been to the different Fujis often enough, and you order steak you'll notice a difference.

Fuji don't need to be flexible (in their thinking) because they are extremely successful. Most times of the day or night they are almost full, even now during the low season therefore you can feel an element of arrogance in their approach to business. You don't get personal attention there, and hardly anyone speaks any English.

I tried once to complain about the quality of beef when we ordered the large serving...it got us absolutely nowhere - just a waste of time. When you go there you order, eat up and pay. No point being picky. What you get is what you get.

Zen are almost always empty...big difference. I too prefer the food at Zen, but it's more expensive. A beef set there costs 220 compared to Fujis 150 but it's imported beef, so it's worth the extra money; we don't eat the salmon.

I have noticed that the service in the Carrefour Fuji (the only one I have dined at) is quite poor and maybe their staff training or education is of a lower order than their competitors? Therefore it is possible that to eliminate any misunderstanding, they enforce the no-substitution rule so that they don't have staff making errors and customers refusing to pay?

I have noticed that the service in the Carrefour Fuji (the only one I have dined at) is quite poor and maybe their staff training or education is of a lower order than their competitors? Therefore it is possible that to eliminate any misunderstanding, they enforce the no-substitution rule so that they don't have staff making errors and customers refusing to pay?

You've got a good point there. It would be impossible for me to explain anything to the staff there (in English). I've given up asking special requests at most restaurants. It's possible due to lack of communication to get someone quite unexpected. At Fuji I point to the menu item and that's about it. On a positive note, most of them understand "well-done".

The other day in one bar a pepsi turned up when I ordered a bottle of water. The waitress gave me a dirty look too when I explained I didn't want it.

Edited by tropo

You've got a good point there. It would be impossible for me to explain anything to the staff there (in English). I've given up asking special requests at most restaurants. It's possible due to lack of communication to get someone quite unexpected. At Fuji I point to the menu item and that's about it. On a positive note, most of them understand "well-done".

The other day in one bar a pepsi turned up when I ordered a bottle of water. The waitress gave me a dirty look too when I explained I didn't want it.

And in a real quiet restaurant on Jomtien a couple of afternoons back (only 2 customers), I ordered a Tiger. The waitress brought a Heineken which I declined, saying I asked for Tiger and after a brief exchange with the other waitress, we realised with smiles all round that she had mistakenly given my Tiger to the other customer who was drinking it already (although he had asked for the Heineken). So she asked if I would accept the Heineken. I refused again and asked for Tiger and the smiles all evaporated.

Service? It's almost as bad as the US. But I wouldn't change it for the world.

There are too many good " mom & pop " style eateries in Pattaya to bother with the chains who are no doubt owned by BK fat cats, who on the whole pay locals the minimum wage to maximise their BMW lifestyle.

Support you local community.

I've never been to a Zen, but am a regular diner at Fuji - especially the Carrefour one , which I have found pretty good, considering the prices, and the fact that they are a mass market chain.

In general terms are the Zen prices commensurate with Fuji prices, or are they more expensive?

I use one of the Fuji restarurants in Bangkok regularly. They always allow me to substitute items but I dont do it often.

Maybe it is a geographical policy or maybe it is because they recognize me as a regular customer??

I've never been to a Zen, but am a regular diner at Fuji - especially the Carrefour one , which I have found pretty good, considering the prices, and the fact that they are a mass market chain.

In general terms are the Zen prices commensurate with Fuji prices, or are they more expensive?

For sushi they're pretty similarly priced. Most of the set meals are cheaper at Fuji, but it's apples and oranges in that the quality of the beef for the set meals is imported at Zen and local at Fuji.

There are too many good " mom & pop " style eateries in Pattaya to bother with the chains who are no doubt owned by BK fat cats, who on the whole pay locals the minimum wage to maximise their BMW lifestyle.

Call me selfish if you like, but I don't give a s**t about where the money goes when I eat out. I only care that I'm going to enjoy the meal as much as possible.

I spread my money around a lot of restaurants, but chains have something that "mom & pop" eateries don't often have - consistency. One day you'll visit mom & pop and it's a cousin, sister, brother or some other family member or friend cooking and it's not the same and often disappointing. :o You generally know exactly what you're going to get at a chain restaurant.

I also can't handle eating Thai food too often. There's only a small selection of Thai dishes I enjoy, and after a while it gets too repetitive. Each to their own, but I (we - my GF too) much prefer Japanese food. My GF has developed a bit of an allergy to hot chili which has made it even more complicated (and expensive) for me regarding restaurant choices. Whereas we used to whip into a "mom & pop" for a cheap Thai meal, now we're forking out for roast beef, steaks, whole fish and much more expensive fare.

Edited by tropo

Good point.

Good point.

Happy to comply.

Can you please point me to a Mon & Pop establishment that sells reasonably priced, edible Japanese food?

Thanks

:o

Thanks

Happy to comply.

Can you please point me to a Mon & Pop establishment that sells reasonably priced, edible Japanese food?

I believe suiging is saying that a better alternative to eating faux Japanese food while enriching Bangkok fat cats is to eat reasonably priced Thai food while enriching your neighbors, i.e. local non-chain restaurants.

I generally agree with this notion, though I am not religious about it. I occasionally eat at Sizzler, McD's, etc. By and large, though, in addition to preferring to help local businesses, I find the price/quality ratio highest in some local restaurants and so they receive my custom much more than the chains.

we don't eat the salmon.

I'm a bit mystified at this comment... by using "WE"... are you referring to you and one other person, like a spouse, lover/companion/domestic partner, OR are you referring to "we", as in speaking for everyone on this board? or are you referring to the entire world? Who are you speaking on behalf of?

And I would be curious to know what it is about salmon that you don't apparently like. In defense of salmon, it is a tasty fish, easily obtainable, reasonably priced, freezes well, and is very high in Omega 3 healthy fats. Are you saying you eat other kinds of fish, but NOT salmon? Or maybe you mean you don't eat any fish... or maybe you mean you find the price/quality/taste of Fuji's salmon too high, compared to other items on their menu.

I would ask you to elaborte a bit on why you said "WE".

Happy to comply.

I believe suiging is saying that a better alternative to eating faux Japanese food while enriching Bangkok fat cats is to eat reasonably priced Thai food while enriching your neighbors, i.e. local non-chain restaurants.

I generally agree with this notion, though I am not religious about it. I occasionally eat at Sizzler, McD's, etc. By and large, though, in addition to preferring to help local businesses, I find the price/quality ratio highest in some local restaurants and so they receive my custom much more than the chains.

This is getting silly.

I eat Thai food 7 days a week - mainly home cooked, but we also patronise a whole range of Thai restaurants in and around Pattaya, ranging from street noodle shops to some of the better up market establishments.

I also enjoy the occasional sushi at Fuji in Carrefour - as does my wife - and I sure as heck ain't going to start investigating who owns a particular chain, and whether or not they are Bangkok fat cats driving around in a BMWs before I decide whether I will eat there.

We also enjoy our occasional Suki meals in MK. Shall we stop that , coz I'm bloody sure they're also owned by fat cats?

Ethical dining choices :D

Whatever next? :D

Boycott 7/11's? (They are owned by one of the richest families in Thailand - and a Thaksin sidekick to boot), and buy out of date, overpriced groceries at my local Mom and Pop store? :o

:D :D

Eat where the he-ll you like.

Only saying that as Patters gets more and more commercialized, the locals are dipping out.

Only my opinion. But when I can, I try to support the locals.

If I feel like eating Japanese and there is no option, of course I'll eat Japanese !!!

Eat where the he-ll you like.

Only saying that as Patters gets more and more commercialized, the locals are dipping out.

Only my opinion. But when I can, I try to support the locals.

If I feel like eating Japanese and there is no option, of course I'll eat Japanese !!!

:D :D

I do like Fuji's "lunch special", where they throw in the fruit plate and a tablespoon of coffee or tea, in a toy teacup... not sure if ZEN has any lunch specials. I go there for dinner.

I recently truly felt taken advantage of in Fuji when I returned some crappy looking sushi and asked for it to be replaced with some better looking pieces of fish, my punishment was not tobe given any fruit or coffee and the end of my meal.

Was told the offer for the mini cup of coffee and most generous 3 pieces of fruit is only given on orders placed b4 3 o'clock, I felt scammed.

we don't eat the salmon.

I'm a bit mystified at this comment... by using "WE"... are you referring to you and one other person, like a spouse, lover/companion/domestic partner, OR are you referring to "we", as in speaking for everyone on this board? or are you referring to the entire world? Who are you speaking on behalf of?

And I would be curious to know what it is about salmon that you don't apparently like. In defense of salmon, it is a tasty fish, easily obtainable, reasonably priced, freezes well, and is very high in Omega 3 healthy fats. Are you saying you eat other kinds of fish, but NOT salmon? Or maybe you mean you don't eat any fish... or maybe you mean you find the price/quality/taste of Fuji's salmon too high, compared to other items on their menu.

I'll elaborate for you and I apologize for being ambiguous.

"We" refers to my GF and I who always dine together.

"We don't eat the salmon" was a lazy way of saying: I've never eaten their (Fujis) grilled salmon dinner/lunch set.

We really like (love) fresh raw salmon and smoked salmon. It's actually one of our favourite fish, just not cooked. We love salmon sushi and sashimi.

I find it too rich and oily once cooked.

When you cook (heat) Omega 3 fatty acids (6 and 9 too), you denature them and lose their health benefits entirely. Have you ever wondered why flaxseed oil which is the richest source of Omega 3 fatty acids is kept in dark glass bottles in the refrigerator in health stores back at home? It's because they are VERY sensitive to light, heat and also oxygen. Have you ever seen the words "cold-pressed" on a bottle of flaxseed oil? It's the only way to produce good omega 3 oils because even low production heat will destroy them.

The moral of this little story is: DON'T COOK YOUR SALMON!

To The Redoubtable Weho AO--AO (And Others) being Mike Todd's salute to the numerous unsung heroes of movieland--regarding the wisdom or otherwise of cooking salmon.

I have to reluctantly reveal my proletarian roots.

I don't like cooked salmon, nor cooked crayfish--"lobster" for those not blessed with Oz citizenship-- either.

BUT some years ago, my boozy mate who owned a Japanese restaurant, accompanied me on a Sunday morning fishing trip in my MASSIVE 17 footer.

We slung 3 craypots into the sea, into which 2 (TWO only) crays crawled to offer themselves.

I was surprised to see my mate grasp the crays , head in one hand tail in the other, and smartly twist, until the two halves parted company.

Probably with some reluctance.

He then removed the meat from the tail using a teaspoon, the only tool on the boat capable of doing the job.

He served FRESH crayfish sashimi...on paper plates.

( I always carried oshoyu and wasabi on the boat. )

That was quite a few years ago...and I have not forgotten it to this day.

This is NOTHING at all do with the swines at Fuji--which I also agree are good value for money, but would go broke in Shichimach within 2 days---but by C*rist..it says a lot about REAL Japanese cuisine

As opposed to Japanese cooking...as dished up in Pattaya.

I can recommend Kaiseki Ryori to anyone who genuinely LOVES Jap Tucker.

Anyone know where it can be found in Pattaya?

we don't eat the salmon.

I'll elaborate for you and I apologize for being ambiguous.

"We" refers to my GF and I who always dine together.

"We don't eat the salmon" was a lazy way of saying: I've never eaten their (Fujis) grilled salmon dinner/lunch set.

We really like (love) fresh raw salmon and smoked salmon. It's actually one of our favourite fish, just not cooked. We love salmon sushi and sashimi.

I find it too rich and oily once cooked.

When you cook (heat) Omega 3 fatty acids (6 and 9 too), you denature them and lose their health benefits entirely. Have you ever wondered why flaxseed oil which is the richest source of Omega 3 fatty acids is kept in dark glass bottles in the refrigerator in health stores back at home? It's because they are VERY sensitive to light, heat and also oxygen. Have you ever seen the words "cold-pressed" on a bottle of flaxseed oil? It's the only way to produce good omega 3 oils because even low production heat will destroy them.

The moral of this little story is: DON'T COOK YOUR SALMON!

I must say I am most impressed with your knowledge of fatty acids... well done. But if you cook salmon, i don't think you lose ALL of the health benefits. i'm guessing you lose 10%.

How do you feel about mackerel?