Help me understand a border run

Hal65

I am considering doing a border run to stay in Vietnam for 60 days total. Here is what I understand so far:

#1. Hire a border run service to go to a nearby the border from Ho Chi Minh City. I'm guessing one in Cambodia.

#2. Get the exit stamp on the Vietnam visa, and then apply for a Cambodian Visa.

After this I'm unclear on what to do next. As a American citizen I know that one of my few options to get into Vietnam is the eVisa. But I've also been told that the Evisa can only be applied for outside of Vietnam. Which means I think I would need to spend 3 days in Cambodia before approval. Or one day if I use an agency with rush service.

Is this how it's being done? If you guys know a more efficient way, please help me understand, thank you.

• 1 month later...

Probably too late for you but I figured it might be useful for other people

First of all, you don't need a border run service. They don't do anything magical with the border patrol. If you want to save some money, you can also take the bus.

A border run simply means getting out of the country, only to get in again with a new visa. There is nothing stopping you to get this new visa beforehand, so there is no reason to stay in Cambodia longer than a few minutes.

Both Vietnam and Cambodia offer E-visas. Just apply to both at least a week before the border run. It doesn't matter what country you're in when applying. Walk in with the Cambodia visa, and walk back out with the Vietnamese visa

You can repeat the border runs for however long you'd like (unlike Thailand). I have met people who have done this for 10 months straight without issue.

You don't have to bribe anyone. As long as you have the visa, they'll have to let you in. But just in case, no matter where you go, always keep 40$ (yes USD) cash in your pocket. It can be a lifesaver.

• Like 1