Train or taxi from Suvarnabhumi

Yamba

Hi there,

I will land at Suvarnabhumi at 17:30 on a Monday, staying near the Shangri-la Hotel on the river. Am I going to save much time taking the train and BTS, or easier just to get in a taxi?

Many thanks

Depends a lot on how many bags you have. If just one than the train will save you some money. Although, I have never had a problem, be sure they turn on the meters. You pay 50 baht more than the meter at your destination. I know two people that had problems with taxis from the airport this year.

• Like 1

i'd opt for the taxi.  right now, 8am rush hour into the city, google maps estimates 1 hour from suvarnabumi to shangri la.  you will be traveling during rush hour but coming into the city will not be as bad as going out.  the ride should be less than one hour for you.  tell the taxi driver you will pay the tolls so you can use tollway to avoid any unnecessary traffic.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd take a look at Google maps once you've landed and decide. It's usually fairly reliable. If it's an international arrival it will probably take about an hour to get out, domestically maybe 30 minutes. Either way, you're going to be in the middle of rush hour if you get in a taxi around 6 to 6:30 PM

Pre-Covid I landed in BKK on a domestic flight around 6 PM on a Wednesday and opted for a taxi to the Shangri La. It was a mistake, taking me nearly 2 hours to get there. Typically it's about 1 hour in a taxi at that time of the day. 

If the traffic looks bad, I would take the airport train to the last stop (Phayathai), then Sukhumvit Skytrain green line toward Kheha (2 stops) to Saim. Switch in the station to the Silom line toward Bang Wa and get off at Saphan Taksin. You'll see the Shangri La at the station. Actual train rides are 28 minutes, 4 minutes and 13 minutes but with transfers it will take about an hour. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, DFPhuket said:

I'd take a look at Google maps once you've landed and decide. It's usually fairly reliable. If it's an international arrival it will probably take about an hour to get out, domestically maybe 30 minutes. Either way, you're going to be in the middle of rush hour if you get in a taxi around 6 to 6:30 PM

Pre-Covid I landed in BKK on a domestic flight around 6 PM on a Wednesday and opted for a taxi to the Shangri La. It was a mistake, taking me nearly 2 hours to get there. Typically it's about 1 hour in a taxi at that time of the day. 

If the traffic looks bad, I would take the airport train to the last stop (Phayathai), then Sukhumvit Skytrain green line toward Kheha (2 stops) to Saim. Switch in the station to the Silom line toward Bang Wa and get off at Saphan Taksin. You'll see the Shangri La at the station. Actual train rides are 28 minutes, 4 minutes and 13 minutes but with transfers it will take about an hour. 

That sounds like a complete nightmare with 2 suitcases. Certainly taxi is worth the extra - using the METER of course. Taxi in traffic jam is cheap...

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The last time I took a taxi from that airport, from the drop-off area, the driver quoted me a fare and wouldn't use his meter when I asked so I walked away. Then he called me back and said he'd use the meter, and he did. But he drove a very long way round to my destination, thinking as a stupid foreigner I wouldn't know, and it ended up costing the same as the fare he originally quoted. Now I always use the train. Fair fare every time.

I believe they are required to use the meter. I make a point of taking a photo of the taxi and the drivers ID. I also make a point of them seeing me do it. The long way around is common trick to tourist. A friend of mine was pretty sure it happened to him as he crossed the river two times to get to the Khaosan rd area from the airport.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

I believe they are required to use the meter. I make a point of taking a photo of the taxi and the drivers ID. I also make a point of them seeing me do it. The long way around is common trick to tourist. A friend of mine was pretty sure it happened to him as he crossed the river two times to get to the Khaosan rd area from the airport.

Trying to report the taxi is pointless. I was having a problem with another driver who was doing the long way round thing and called the taxi complaints number. They told me to call the tourist police. The tourist police told me to call the taxi complaints number. No-one is interested in doing anything, which is why the problems with taxis continue and always will. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DFPhuket said:

It is now 6:30pm and Google maps is a sea of red and dark red for traffic between the airport and the river. Even Silom Rd from Silom station to The Shangri La is all red... SLOW. If you are thinking of getting off the MRT at Silom, I would change to the BTS Sala Daeng station and get off at Saphan Taksin. The hotel is a short 200m walk from the station. The only downside is that the trains might be crowded at that time in the afternoon and there may be long queues to get onto the trains. Varies with each station.

I always use the train to get from the airport. Airport link and then a change to the MRT at Makkasan.

Edited by Dexxter
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Just take a taxi and relax.

I agree with that mostly. The problem is that you never know if you're going to get a bozo taxi driver who does not know the most efficient (traffic free) route or doesn't use Google maps. It's for this reason, that where possible, I try to use Grab so they have a map although that occasionally fails as Grab maps are different to the more reliable Google maps with traffic. I frequently have to instruct drivers on the route before they make an exit into traffic mayhem. For the OP, I'd say it's a close call timewise taxi vs train at that time/day to that destination.

Edited by soi3eddie

25 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

I believe they are required to use the meter. I make a point of taking a photo of the taxi and the drivers ID. I also make a point of them seeing me do it. 

I did that last year after meter refusal, thinking I was being smart. Taxi driver got out and chased me down Sukhumvit. Thankfully it was mostly for show and he gave up quickly. I won't do it again.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, markclover said:

Take the bus from the airport to Mo Chit.  And then you get a taxi from there.  It is much cheaper that way.

Mo Chit is way up north near Chatuchak. Why would you want to go so far out of the way, especially on crowded roads in a bus? I suppose by the time you get to Mo Chit it will be late at night and the taxi will be faster. LOL

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The last time I took a taxi from that airport, from the drop-off area, the driver quoted me a fare and wouldn't use his meter when I asked so I walked away. Then he called me back and said he'd use the meter, and he did. But he drove a very long way round to my destination, thinking as a stupid foreigner I wouldn't know, and it ended up costing the same as the fare he originally quoted. Now I always use the train. Fair fare every time.

If travelling reasonably light and solo, I've now taken to using the train more often simply to avoid taxi hassles from Suvarnabhumi. With road tolls and airport charge the fee is nearly 500 Baht vs 70 Baht by two trains these days anyhow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its 7pm now... and Google Maps (which is fairly accurate) tells me the journey will take 35mins by car. 

I’m not sure taking the rail-link is going to offer any time saving... unless you’re travelling at 6pm on Friday of a long weekend... 

Thus... if you want a trouble free hassle free journey... take an AOT car - which will cost about 1200 baht... Some people try and save 100 baths here and there and thats up to them. 

A regular taxi may cost about 5-600 baht including tolls.... but the issue with taxi’s, especially from the airport is that there is a risk of getting kn0bhead, so you’re taking a minor risk... its still less hassle than the rail link though IMO. 

• Haha 2

If I'm GOING to the Airport to meet somebody I always get the train(s)...

But coming back into town, especially where you're going...  and with baggage, the taxi (meter running) is the 'go'.

Somehow, travelling on the crowded BTS in evening peak with a suitcase and possibly hand luggage doesn't appeal to me..  backpacks are bad enough!

Taxi all the way, buddy!

• Like 1

On 3/14/2023 at 7:35 AM, brianthainess said:

I found the taxi service at airport ok, as i hadn't been to airport for years, they have a 'new' booth inside, go to booth ''short distance or long distance ? big taxi or small?" was given a number sat inside by the booth, drivers come to booth, driver was good carried my bag across the road 'short distance taxi, and used the meter. 

Odd how "someone" found your 100% positive and clear comment about your taxi choice to be "confusing"!

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, markclover said:

Take the bus from the airport to Mo Chit.  And then you get a taxi from there.  It is much cheaper that way.

On 3/14/2023 at 7:24 AM, Yamba said:

Only have a small bag, not worried about saving money ... 

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 1

On 3/14/2023 at 4:29 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

The last time I took a taxi from that airport, from the drop-off area, the driver quoted me a fare and wouldn't use his meter when I asked so I walked away. Then he called me back and said he'd use the meter, and he did. But he drove a very long way round to my destination, thinking as a stupid foreigner I wouldn't know, and it ended up costing the same as the fare he originally quoted.

The moral is, never accept a taxi driver who has already firmly established his dishonesty by "changing his mind" about not using the meter, it will always end in tears; there are plenty of other drivers who are not <deleted>.

Edited by metisdead
Vulgar comment removed.

16 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Trying to report the taxi is pointless. I was having a problem with another driver who was doing the long way round thing and called the taxi complaints number. They told me to call the tourist police. The tourist police told me to call the taxi complaints number. No-one is interested in doing anything, which is why the problems with taxis continue and always will. 

"...which is why the problems with taxis continue and always will".

Regarding the airport taxis, the problems continue to exist because of passengers who accept rides from drivers who have already tried to scam them.  If they refused the taxi, reported it to the airport desk and took another, it may eventually dawn on the shysters. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1