Length of time car is in the repair shop

LoeiI

My Mrs was involved in an accident in our car in mid November last year and the car is still in the repair shop, I keep asking her to message / ring them for updates but she seems to think its nothing unusual to be without the car for so long 4 months and counting (it was quite badly damaged) does anybody have a similar experience and could it be due to who was deemed at fault for the accident ?

6 minutes ago, petermik said:

Seems a ridiculously long time to me...have you asked why it`s taking them so long?

I've been told by the Mrs that they've said its down to parts (its not an old vehicle) the new year holidays, it went to a Honda dealership for the original estimate then the insurers sent it to another garage as they said it was too expensive. I cant find anybody to speak English to and the Mrs isn't the type to argue unfortunately  

7 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Is there an issue with insurance? What type of coverage did you have on the car when the accident occurred? 

There may be an issue with spare parts availability. What make and model car is it?

The insurance was through the dealership and is class 1 the car is a 2 year old Honda BRV, the repair shop said this morning that its down to Honda not supplying the parts on time due to the Global slowdown ???? I'm expecting the next excuse to be the war in Ukraine quickly followed by Brexit and when all else fails there's always the wilted lettuce formerly known as Liz Truss ????????     

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, LoeiI said:

The insurance was through the dealership and is class 1 the car is a 2 year old Honda BRV, the repair shop said this morning that its down to Honda not supplying the parts on time due to the Global slowdown ???? I'm expecting the next excuse to be the war in Ukraine quickly followed by Brexit and when all else fails there's always the wilted lettuce formerly known as Liz Truss ????????     

Often the dealer-provided insurance will include a clause that allows for repair at the dealership, at least during the first few years. Did you check the policy to see if this is the case? If it is, the insurance company can't refuse to have the car repaired at the dealer. The dealer might be more motivated to obtain the necessary parts if it is their own shop doing the repair.

I remember hearing about a case many years ago when a vehicle was involved in a rear-end collision which caused internal damage to the car's transmission. The individual parts necessary for repair were unavailable and the insurance company was refusing to replace the whole transmission as it was not necessary. The vehicle owner waited for over a year until the parts finally arrived.

This happened to me. It was a Mitsubishi dealership and a bus had hit the car - every panel was bent and every window shattered - it was a mess but repairable and the chassis was fine.

After 6 months nothing had been done - it just sat there. So I went in with the wife, to talk to the service manager - got the usual brush off - and so went off to find the GM. Two people scurried off, so I followed where they went. They went to the offices and came out saying "she's not here" - so I went where they'd come back from and Lo and Behold, the GM (owners daughter) was sitting right there in her office.

We explained it and at first she couldn't believe that a car could be there so long. Upshot was - she gave us her own car as a loaner (a bit hello kitty for me) and fired the manager in charge of repairs as he'd been taking bribes to jump the queue. 

We never got to play our trump card which was a report to some consumer bureau that covers the motor industry, which is available and I can find the details off the wife if you need them. 

But next step - see the GM of the place - it's possible they don't even knoe about it. 

• Thanks 1

It's the squeaky wheel that gets the oil ,  i would be phoning them everyday , 

don't bother them ,nothing is going to get done, you need to know why it's

taking so long , 

regards Worgeordie