Where to raise a family in Thailand to avoid the pollution?

ReloTH

With the ongoing pollution in Bangkok (that I can see is impacting my family) & may potentially be in a place soon to work remote in Thailand & leave Bangkok would welcome advice from this forum!

Requirements: International schools, Beach Side & away from the pollution.

Phuket, Samui & Pattaya area on the radar eachwith their own set of pros and cons (so any insights there appreciated).

Where else should we consider?

i have just moved up into the hills thinking it would be better
but a huge portion of the pollution comes from sugar cane farming
hence why it is so bad during the harvest months Jan-Mar
it is horrendous where i am right now and here is not as bad as other places

checkout waqi.info for realtime air quality data

i would suggest anywhere with a sea breeze, but i have also seen some very bad pics online and here on AN
showing the haze around the islands
looking at Waqi TH is getting as bad as CN

image is right now

w2.png

Edited by patman30

@patman30 sorry to hear the move to the hills has been counterproductive air quality wise. That's a great map hadn't used Waqi previously (just IQAir), thank you!

@biervoormij useful to know, thanks. Whilst had generally working on the principle the further south the better had assumed Pattaya being on the coast and all would have made a bigger impact...

• Like 2

OP's got the right idea .. southward.

Was going to say south of us, but the international school is going to be the deciding factor.  Plenty of beach side & cleaner air, though nowhere seems to be AQI <50 year round, so still not good.

Surat Thani, NST, Trang, Krabi ... less populated, local pollution, and maybe decent schools.   Ruled out lower, violence ridden 3 or 4.

• Like 1

I think if you are looking for air that is clean,  probably south and west.   The western edge of the peninsula along the Andaman.

One thing that you can do is get a good hepa filtration unit for the rooms you sleep in.  That would allow you healthy air for 8 hours each day which would be a big step in the right direction.

Edited by samuttodd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Trying not to be negative here but Thailand's notable for it's air pollution, water pollution, land pollution, food pollution, noise pollution, light pollution, architectural pollution and no doubt a few others ...

Which were you seeking to escape?

• Haha 2

Ranong is a really nice clean place to live but i have no idea about int.

schools.

No real beach either but it has its own micro climate and it rains a lot but

it is always very green there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ReloTH said:

sorry to hear the move to the hills has been counterproductive air quality wise. That's a great map hadn't used Waqi previously (just IQAir), thank you!

As you see from the map, most areas get it bad this time of Year
you can also click on a location for annual data
Although in Pattaya i never seemed to notice any haze but was never loking for any TBH
here i am getting to see the "why"
personally i would think anything right on a coast away from monocrop farmed land and you should be good