Thai Air Force Eyes Buying New Airbus

snoop1130

The RTAF fixed wing transport aircraft fleet consists of 37 aircraft, 14 of which are configured for VIP transport. The Helicopter fleet consists of 50, 16 of which are VIP aircraft.

The army fixed wing transport fleet has 17 aircraft, 8 of which are VIP aircraft.

The Army helicopter fleet includes 8 VIP helicopters,and a further 102 utility helicopters.

Figures from Wikipedia. 

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Why have talks with US?

The article does not say they are buying a new Airbus aircraft, it says they are buying a replacement for their "airbus", could be a Boeing.

If they are actually buying another A340, not going to be new, it was discontinued in 2011.

Airbus is owned by a number of countries and private interests.  But the United States does not have any ownership and hence can not sell one to the Thai Air Force.

If the artical was implying that the Air Force wants the U.S. to buy it for them, or provide financing, it is poorly written, and the U.S. Airline companies would have something to say about it.  Bottom line, it would never happen.  

15 minutes ago, Balance said:

Airbus is owned by a number of countries and private interests.  But the United States does not have any ownership and hence can not sell one to the Thai Air Force.

If the artical was implying that the Air Force wants the U.S. to buy it for them, or provide financing, it is poorly written, and the U.S. Airline companies would have something to say about it.  Bottom line, it would never happen.  

Airbus has sales and assembly/manufacturing in the US so there is likely no reason Thailand could not deal directly with Airbus in the US to buy new or used aircraft. 

The United States military thanks the Royal Thai Military for a great, abiet short, time.  However the US regrets to inform the Royal Thai Airforce that it cannot buy an airplane  for them.

A spokesman stated "Yes we love you big time, it was so wonderful! We hope to see you again next time we are in town."

Edited by ignore it
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Why have talks with US?

I think that's in regards to the F35 which they are looking at rather than the Airbus. Just badly written.

As has been said before the US might have reservations given the closeness to China

Edited by kimamey

2 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

Very confusing article indeed. The original article talks about replacing an existing Airbus A340 and upgrading a Saab 340, but the picture shows something entirely different (looks like a Tupulev). They talk about airbus rather as a concept than the Airbus brand?? The Saab aircraft is older, if anything needs replacement it would be that one?

The picture is of the RTAF A340. No Tupolevs involved. 

The Saab 340 mentioned refers to the Saab 340 AEW early warning aircraft.

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I don't get that either, they should be talking to Airbus in Toulouse France?

Unless they're buying a second-hand aircraft from someone?

Read the whole article. the OP is just badly written.

12 minutes ago, Emdog said:

Many Thai think US and Europe are one and the same. Really

I was told when I first came here to say I'm from England if asked by the police. If you say United Kingdom they have no idea what that is and as soon as you say United they're already thinking United States anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

looks like an A340-500 to me.

The perspective is not so good, but it seems to have a center gear, so it really must be the A340-500 (HS-TYV). I first thought it is a B737.

The RTAF does have a passenger jet fleet of some Airbus 319/320's, some B737's and one A340-500. There are also 3 Sukhoi Superjets 100, which do not seems to see a lot of flying.... (see wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_of_the_Royal_Thai_Air_Force)

Which one of those they want to replace is not clear. Whoever wrote that article does not really have a particularly deep knowledge of aviation.

The A340 has flown to Turkey a couple of times lately, I suppose on humanitarian missions. As far as I know from FR24, it has also spent quite some time in Lufthansa's workshop in Hamburg last  year  - probably for upgrades inside and out. So I somehow doubt it is up for replacement.

Edited by a340bangla1
wrong aircraft ....

This will be ideal for taking gangs of high-ranking officers (and maybe their wives but probably not ???? ) on jollies to other countries.

Oh, sorry I meant "fact-finding missions"

Edited by nglodnig
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 9:07 PM, soi3eddie said:

Why even do that, just get down to Suvarnabhumi or Don Mueang and select another pristine model before it rots into the ground? Why not a nice big Boeing B747 or an Airbus A380? Very nice planes and plenty of space for generals and cronies! Even better for humanitarian needs too!!!

At this time, does the Thai air force really need a "new" plane? An 18 year old airframe still has at least 12 years left of service at least.

Even bigger selection at UTP airport (U-Tapao)(Pattaya)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mickmouse1 said:

Airbus talk with the USA?

Ok, so if buying Boeing or Phantom, you will talk to the Russians or China? 

Journalism at it's best 555

Isn't Russia getting it's Boeing parts from China to keep their planes (some of which they stole) going?