Texas Education Officials Want to Rewrite Climate Science in State Textbooks

onthedarkside

3 hours ago, placeholder said:

So, if some fundamentalist type claims that the earth was created 6000 or so years ago, because I'm not a geologist, I can't disprove that claim by citing  what geologists say is the age of the earth? If that same Bible thumper claims that there is no such thing as evolution, that God created all species as they are, because I'm not a paleontologist or an evolutionary biologist, I can't disprove their claim by citing what paleontologists and evolutionary biologists say? 

Once again, you've come up with another ridiculous objection.

You don't seem to be able to differentiate between a question and an objection. There is no need for these Biblical evolutionary references as far as I am concerned. The earth is about 4.6 billion years old, so the geological consensus goes. What has happened since then has been well researched, with the data and earth history theory accepted by most geologists. 

Anyway, your link:

https://news.cornell.edu/stories/2021/10/more-999-studies-agree-humans-caused-climate-change

Contains this link:

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/ac2966 

- which contains the term "modern climate change", which is much more sensible to use, in this context. Recent temperature increases correlate well with the higher post industrial revolution anthropogenic activity, especially industrial emissions, deforestation and population growth.

However, saying that earth systems and their natural processes do not affect climate is just wrong - these processes don't just stop - they just occur at a far slower rate but continue to affect the climate and have produced large-scale extremes of climate, sea-levels and ice cover etc. in the past.

5 minutes ago, nauseus said:

You don't seem to be able to differentiate between a question and an objection. There is no need for these Biblical evolutionary references as far as I am concerned. The earth is about 4.6 billion years old, so the geological consensus goes. What has happened since then has been well researched, with the data and earth history theory accepted by most geologists. 

Anyway, your link:

https://news.cornell.edu/stories/2021/10/more-999-studies-agree-humans-caused-climate-change

Contains this link:

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/ac2966 

- which contains the term "modern climate change", which is much more sensible to use, in this context. Recent temperature increases correlate well with the higher post industrial revolution anthropogenic activity, especially industrial emissions, deforestation and population growth.

However, saying that earth systems and their natural processes do not affect climate is just wrong - these processes don't just stop - they just occur at a far slower rate but continue to affect the climate and have produced large-scale extremes of climate, sea-levels and ice cover etc. in the past.

I have never claimed that there aren't other processes at work. What I have pointed out is rate of change and how anomalous the present situation is.

What I have objected to is those who use semantics to claim that there has always been climate change and that therefore the present situation is not anomalous.

Here is a quote of mine from this thread:

"Thanks for the silly word game. But the issue is based in science not semantics. It's not about climate change per se, but about rate of change. To make it clear to you, if you had a choice to make 2 equally safe investments, but one paid 1 percent and the other 10 percent, which one would you chose? According to your way of thinking, since both are increasing, it wouldn't matter which one you invested in. Not only is the average global temperature increasing, but it's doing so at an accelerating rate. The last 8 years have been the hottest on record. And that's despite some of those year occurring during a phenomenon called La Nina, which actually make global temperatures lower than they would otherwise have been."

• Like 1

New UN Climate change report due to be published today.

The report by the U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change caps a series that digests vast amounts of research on global warming compiled since the Paris climate accord was agreed in 2015. The U.N. plans to publish the report at a news conference early Monday afternoon.

The report by hundreds of the world’s top scientists was supposed to be approved by government delegations on Friday at the end of a weeklong meeting in the Swiss town of Interlaken.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/nations-approve-key-un-science-report-on-climate-change-and-greenhouse-gas-emissions