UPDATE: Thousands of Russians flee for Thailand to avoid Ukraine war call-up as they ‘take over’ top resorts

webfact

2 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Do they actually attend classes? Most Russians in Pattaya on ED visas only attend same day as the inspector comes from immigration. There is scam going on where immigration notifies the school and the school notifies the students to come in on inspection day.

I believe you are correct, I have heard the same.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Can't speak for Pattaya but I can for Phuket. While I agree there has, for many years been a Russian community living here, since the war broke out and certainly within the last few months there's been an explosion of both Russian tourists and long term stayers. Many with young families, International schools are brimming with Russian students. Just a few hundred meters away from me a large villa has, in the last few weeks been converted into a kindergarden for Russian children, no website, no facebook page, just an instagram page. Its already got at least 30 kids enrolled.

For those with kids visa's are easy, the students get an ed visa and the parents get a guardianship visa. Good for many years as long as the kids stay enrolled. Those without kids, well the normal ed visa's, elite visa, multiple entry etc. Most I've met are well off enough and aside from buying real estate here they are also then sub letting to other Russians.

and when they return home to Russia?  you are making it up - Russia will put them on a wanted list, black list the passports etc. I agree Russians are coming on holiday and some might stay illegally but they have a ton of problems ahead. What you dont understand is most support the war within Russia - whether they are right or wrong that's a fact. The war will end one day, thank goodness, but if they ever go home they have a big problem.

• Confused 6

1 minute ago, BobBKK said:

and when they return home to Russia?  you are making it up - Russia will put them on a wanted list, black list the passports etc. I agree Russians are coming on holiday and some might stay illegally but they have a ton of problems ahead. What you dont understand is most support the war within Russia - whether they are right or wrong that's a fact. The war will end one day, thank goodness, but if they ever go home they have a big problem.

Making what up exactly? When they return home? Did I claim they are running from already signed up mobilization orders?

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Russia ramps up mobilization

According to a March 14 report by the Russian service of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, that cites several regional media outlets, Russia's Defense Ministry will start a new recruitment campaign on April 1, aiming to contract 400,000 soldiers.

The ministry has sent orders with recruitment quotas to Russia's regions, RFE/RL reported.

Residents of Russia's Voronezh Oblast started to receive summonses to military enlistment offices as it was in September last year following the so-called “partial” mobilization announced by Russian dictator Vladimir Putin, the publication says.

https://news.yahoo.com/ukraine-war-latest-russia-ramps-221144758.html

Yes funny how western news know about what happens in Russia while nothing in Russia,

Carry on????

• Confused 4
  • Sad 2

32 minutes ago, garzhe said:

By obtaining a 1 year  education visa renewable every 3 months and supposedly "learning Thai" 

Don't want to split hairs. You are correct what you say, maybe the right word is 'purchasing' 1 year education visas?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, BobBKK said:

Nonsense again - they have to have visas and there is no call-up. Boring.

They con come in on Visa Exempt, currently for 45 days...

Not sure what they do after that.

• Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, garzhe said:

By obtaining a 1 year  education visa renewable every 3 months and supposedly "learning Thai" 

In the past people used to have to go outside of Thailand and show paperwork at a Thai Embassy/Consulate to get a ED Visa stamped in their passport... then they could fly back in. I believe things got relaxed during Covid and some bypass, where it was done in country, could be achieved.... Anyone know the details?

Edited by jacko45k

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Surprising that there isn't numerous Russian business set up already like restaurants, real estate, visa agents and alike, but i know they will come very soon.

There are a couple of dedicated Russian tourist booths in Wongamat & the restaurants have more signs in Cyrillic than they do in Thai & English combined, even an outdoor stand with tourist type maps is 100% Cyrillic. 

Thailand welcomes Russian refugees

Rate this topic

webfact

By webfact,
Thursday at 03:14 AM in Thailand News

@dinsdale

Refugee? Technically. Maybe. Reality? Rich Russians who can afford to get out. The true refugees in Russia are the politically persecuted. How manty of them are here is only speculation as is how many have added to the number of Russian mafia pre-pandemic. Anyone that lives in Thailand knows about Russian mafia. 

Edited by dinsdale
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

First of all, I didn't know the middle class is wealthy as the story states. Secondly, only 100 residential visas are issued to any given nationality every year so many will most likely end up being arrested for overstay.

Yes but at least they will be easy to find dining and drinking outside the local 7/11

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, LivingNThailand said:

I was at Phuket immigration last week.  The Russians (and Ukrainians)  are asking for a 7 day extension, which they can.  Some are coming back for another 7 day extension and are told they have to leave. They are asking if they leave (Malaysia, Cambodia, etc.)  can they come back?  Can they?  I think they can, but how many times can they leave and come back as tourists?  (They were all in their 20s and 30s) It was a bloody mess at immigration.  I hope immigration is formulating a plan to deal with this,  because they will keep bouncing around until immigration puts a stop to it.  (I was just trying to sort out a TM30 for my annual.  Found out I was okay, but I was not happy being in that same room.  It was hysterical) 

Well that makes some sense as I know they cannot get a 30 day extension to their 45 day exempt entry... and a refusal usually included a 7 days stamp 'to leave'.... I do not know of any limit on number of entries by air at he moment....in the past, for all nationalities, it went on until an immigration officer could not be persuaded one was a tourist and entry was refused.  Thanks...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1