UPDATE: Thousands of Russians flee for Thailand to avoid Ukraine war call-up as they ‘take over’ top resorts

webfact

3 hours ago, nchuckle said:

There’s an arrest warrant issued  by ICC against Putin for war crimes . Given I’ve had to pay double for my accommodation in Phuket next week vs last year he should be made to appear at The Hague for that alone ! ???? 

I agree I,m just back from Phuket,I would say rent prices have doubled since I was last there 2020

2 minutes ago, still kicking said:

I have neighbours in Oz who live here for 40 years and can't speak a word of English kick all them out?

That certainly would be dependent on how Euro-white [or not] they might be. 

Quite reflective of the societal and immigration policies/practices of Anglophone circles. 

A nasty, yet rich, history.

9 minutes ago, Samui Farid said:

What's the screaming?  "They're leaving the country because they don't want to be drafted.  Russia is a huge country with a professional army and equipment.  You are not recruited on the street there ???????? The Russians have been an integral part of the tourism sector for many years.  And were always welcome guests.  While the West is destroying itself, business is going well in Russia.  You can afford to vacation in Thailand.  And Thailand is grateful that they spend their money here in the country and not in another country.  When you run a business you are grateful for every customer.  You can't choose them based on race, gender or religion.  They get visas like everyone else who moves here in this forum.

There you got already two errors in a few sentences.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Samui Farid said:

What's the screaming?  "They're leaving the country because they don't want to be drafted.  Russia is a huge country with a professional army and equipment.  You are not recruited on the street there ???????? The Russians have been an integral part of the tourism sector for many years.  And were always welcome guests.  While the West is destroying itself, business is going well in Russia.  You can afford to vacation in Thailand.  And Thailand is grateful that they spend their money here in the country and not in another country.  When you run a business you are grateful for every customer.  You can't choose them based on race, gender or religion.  They get visas like everyone else who moves here in this forum.

No screaming just commenting how many they are, in some ways the war has been a godsend for Thai tourism but not in the way we wanted.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Samui Farid said:

Im sorry that it seems people cannot distinguish people from politics.  They are entirely different.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Northstar1 said:

Fact is a large percentage of Russian people are for the war!

just remember, Putin ain’t shootin!

I wish nothing but horrendous suffering to every Russian man woman and child!

We are fortunate in most western countries that we have a free (-ish) press and News media.

The majority of Russians only have access to the  'Putin' version of the news.  They have no access to uncensored News. 

You cannot blame people for not knowing what they don't know. A vast number of the Russian population is desperately poor, and their main concern is to scrape a living. ( 1 in 5 don't even have access to an indoor WC ). 

Those who are able to access other world media, and are educated to be able to read languages other than Russian, have differing opinions, which they must keep to themselves under pain of state attention.

Hence the influx of  'rich' Russians 'holidaying' abroad ?

20 hours ago, parafareno said:

thailand should put a cap on how many russkies can come at the same time...that is it....too much of them on thailand...why they dont move to azerbajdzan or some other <deleted> country...why thailand...and where do they get the money.....

How about an in/out system? For 100 new visitors from Russia to be allowed in, we must first see 100 sent packing! I suspect soon, when they each are waving 300 baht admission tax, they will get the red carpet and water cannons out again!

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, still kicking said:
21 hours ago, LivingNThailand said:

I have neighbors that work at 2 of the larger private schools around our neighborhood and another that has a small private school.  They have to be very selective on the Russian children because of the language problems, they don't want to slow down the other students.  And if the children don't speak and understand English then they become disruptive in the classroom.  There is not enough positions in the private schools for all the Russians that apply.  They are being turned down.  I have no idea what / where these kids are being educated.  I guess no where?  Not a good thing in the long term.

Expand  

I have neighbours in Oz who live here for 40 years and can't speak a word of English kick all them out?

I don't understand your comment.  What does this have to do with educating children.  Private schools cannot accept children that don't speak the language that the lessons  are taught in.  They would slow down the other students and disrupt the class.  Three separate teachers in my neighborhood have told me that.  They are not public schools they are private schools and don't have to accept everyone.  I just feel sorry for the children as they are missing out on their education.

Edited by LivingNThailand

1 minute ago, LivingNThailand said:

I don't understand your comment.  What does this have to do with educating children.  Private schools cannot accept children that don't speak the language that the lessons  are taught in.  They would slow down the other students and disrupt the class.  Three separate teachers in my neighborhood have told me that.  They are not public schools they are private schools and don't have to accept everyone.  I just feel sorry for the children as they are missing out on their education.

International Schools, certainly the one my daughter goes to and others that she is associated with due to inter co-operational sporting activities treat the Russian students as they do any Thai students and have recruited additional Russian Language Coordinators and teachers. Although as with most Int Schools they restrict intake to what is available at the correct term times. However there has been a large increase at my daughters school.

• Like 1

I know a couple of draft dodgers, they are mid-late 30s and after witnessing their friends father's get called up, the booked it ASAP. Father's would have been in their 50/60s.

They just said it's not like it is on the news. 

27 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

International Schools, certainly the one my daughter goes to and others that she is associated with due to inter co-operational sporting activities treat the Russian students as they do any Thai students and have recruited additional Russian Language Coordinators and teachers. Although as with most Int Schools they restrict intake to what is available at the correct term times. However there has been a large increase at my daughters school.

Yes, I understand completely.  The person's comment I was responding to was about kicking people out of the country if they don't speak the language, not educating the children.    Also, to point out, there are only so many slots available in any given school year.  The competition has become much greater this past year.   I don't have any children in school, it's just what the teachers in my neighborhood that teach at several international schools have told me.   I don't mean to debate school policy, only that it is private schools, not public.  A big difference.

On 3/18/2023 at 1:33 PM, jacko45k said:

They con come in on Visa Exempt, currently for 45 days...

Not sure what they do after that.

Is there a reason why they can't do visa runs?

Are Russian passport holders under different rules than the rest?

Serious question as I'm seeing alot of how can they stay here comments.

47 minutes ago, Daithi85 said:

Is there a reason why they can't do visa runs?

Are Russian passport holders under different rules than the rest?

Serious question as I'm seeing alot of how can they stay here comments.

Not that I can think of. But don't forget, pre-Covid, people coming in on Exempt or tourist visas for multiple times, were being questioned and in a few cases, refused entry. Also some of the nearby consulates were refusing tourist visas to some.

Their Visa Exempt status is under a Bilateral agreement and that carries some differences. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I have rarely met any friendly Russians

Maybe it's you? I've worked with lots of Russians - they're decent people in the main, they work hard and are generally intelligent. Sure, they might not be as emotional and gushing as some westerners, but that's not a bad thing. 

Edited by sidneybear
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, attento said:

We are fortunate in most western countries that we have a free (-ish) press and News media.

I think that's a thing of the past. The press these days reports news as if all the articles were written by the same person. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, CANSIAM said:

I agree.....

I used to make an effort until the majority of them made it clear that they only speak to other Russians. The thais and other nationalities in my development all seem to get along and have a neighbourly rapport. The Russians seem committed to being thoroughly disliked due to their self imposed segregation and haughty demeanour.

• Like 1

You would think Thailand authorities would be happy that these people from war torn Eastern Europe want to stay in Thailand and spend their money here and grant them dispensation until the war is over. I live in Ko Samui and we have already seen a reduction in tourist numbers so its not like January where everywhere was busting at the seams  and with pending low seasons a few months away their money is as good as anyones! Its a little bit like when covid hit and the government did everything it could to encourage people to leave and once they had left all the idiot powers that be started suggesting stupid ideas for attracting wealthy tourists yet they had just spent months chasing many of those living in the Kingdom out! Will they ever see the light ????

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dogsredrocket said:

I used to make an effort until the majority of them made it clear that they only speak to other Russians. The thais and other nationalities in my development all seem to get along and have a neighbourly rapport. The Russians seem committed to being thoroughly disliked due to their self imposed segregation and haughty demeanour.

I have to say those were my preliminary feelings but I often get greeted by Russian customers when out on the street so they are not all like that & in their defence many have quite poor English. 

i was reading a while back that these putins soldiers were only eating from 7 / 11....and in my resort they were really all day at the pool and sauna....maybe they went for some veggies to market....but the girls from bars said they never seen them there...so I think the money is low....

on the beach they come with this huge bags....they changed clothes and then do it again after they go home....like they lived in some kind of homeless shelter....did not have motorbike, nothing....just came with these huge bags on the bach

also they open these weed companies a lot....they opened 2 in the appartment block where I stayed....what a <deleted> pest

Edited by parafareno
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/18/2023 at 10:12 AM, HuskerDo2 said:

First of all, I didn't know the middle class is wealthy as the story states. Secondly, only 100 residential visas are issued to any given nationality every year so many will most likely end up being arrested for overstay.

Why can't they apply for retirement visa? Those 50+